7mm Mickoo's Commercial Workbench

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Latest thinking is that if Darwin was right, Guerillas should be writing computer programmes by now, and the discovery of some ‘Big Ring’ out there on the edges of the Universe, has apparently brought into question everything we thought we knew about the Big Bang.

Guerillas or Gorillas ;) - I suppose the Guerillas writing computer programs could be called hackers or government agencies. :)

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Irrespective of TVOC meters providing 'safe' readings - I trust you all ventilate the work area(s) as a matter of course to prevent any build up of gases (fumes) should any be denser than air and settle and/or ensure any gas (fumes)/air mixture is not likely to trigger a fire or explosion in the presence of an ignition source - spark (switches), heat (temperature), flame, pressure.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Concur. I bought a TOCV meter as I was worried about the resins. As you say the meter stays in the safe readings.
What was the big surprise was the reading with IPA and the meter went off the end scale! I have never seen any warning about IPA other than do not drink it!

I think you may mean a TVOC meter for measuring volatile organic compounds - a TOC meter measures organic carbon ;) .

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Thanks to DJH 25% sale I managed to pick up a few items. I thought I’d missed the A8 as it sold out last week only to appear the next day. I grabbed, paid and idly went back to browse their web page and the product was gone. Slightly concerned I rang and they said yes there was only one yesterday and it sold out, but, we found another which is now yours. The reason the web page has been pulled is due to it no longer being available or restocked.

Thus I have the last DJH A8 and the Q6 was a similar tale, not listed at all it was phone order only, a FB tip off resulted in a call first thing Monday morning and after a bit of back and forth they found the last one and it arrived today.

The third one (V1/3) is waiting for some brass sprues which are missing and should get here next week. As stuff sells out they remove it from their catalogue and there are slim pickings left.

I have to confess, these smart red boxes are certainly the most attractive kit boxes I've seen, shame to build them and throw the boxes away, though I might try and see if I can get some foam cut to store the finished models in like OMI and Sunset do.

IMG_0966.jpeg

jonte

Western Thunderer
Guerillas or Gorillas ;) - I suppose the Guerillas writing computer programs could be called hackers or government agencies. :)

Hi Dave

You’re not on the same English ‘O’ level night school course as @daifly are you? :))

I’m deffo blaming autocue - or whatever it’s called - for that one: I can’t even spell ‘Guerillas’ :p

Seriously, though, it’s used as a humorous example by those in the know who are quite certain that the Theory of Evolution is flawed.

I can’t vouch for it mind; I left science (Chemistry and Physics) behind at ‘A’ Level, opting for Hard Sums at Uni..

Hoping and trusting you’re well.

Jon

Western Thunderer
Hi Dave

You’re not on the same English ‘O’ level night school course as @daifly are you? :))

I’m deffo blaming autocue - or whatever it’s called - for that one: I can’t even spell ‘Guerillas’ :p

Seriously, though, it’s used as a humorous example by those in the know who are quite certain that the Theory of Evolution is flawed.

I can’t vouch for it mind; I left science (Chemistry and Physics) behind at ‘A’ Level, opting for Hard Sums at Uni..

Jon

It’s all about having enough Gorillas spending long enough, as per the infinite monkey theorem. Even producing the works of Shakespeare is inevitable — eventually.

A less complex text would likely be produced sooner:
C6583C27-C4D3-439C-A608-E659E4981797.jpeg

And so with the theory of evolution. There is variation within species. In certain circumstances, having certain characteristics, on the average, make survival more likely — resulting in differential reproductive success. Meaning the next generation has a higher proportion of individuals with the beneficial characteristic. And so on. That’s evolution, right there. Plenty of well documented examples. Our understanding of genetics has advanced enormously since Darwin, so he wasn’t right about that aspect. But on the issue of over-reproduction, the environment acting on variability resulting in differential reproductive success, causing change — Darwin absolutely gave us a rational explanation for observations that were previously inexplicable.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Irrespective of TVOC meters providing 'safe' readings - I trust you all ventilate the work area(s) as a matter of course to prevent any build up of gases (fumes) should any be denser than air and settle and/or ensure any gas (fumes)/air mixture is not likely to trigger a fire or explosion in the presence of an ignition source - spark (switches), heat (temperature), flame, pressure.

As an added safety feature, I also try to stay off baked beans when about to embark on a modelling session.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Hi Dave

Jon

Seems like I'm in the same English class. :rolleyes:

My sciences were Geology, Chemistry and a grounding in Astrophysics.... all left behind when I started work in the Banking industry.

And thank-you for asking Jon - I have been keeping well although not much modelling done following recovery and returning to work after a CABG triple bypass op in Jan 2023.

And apologies for the diversion @mickoo - I'll let you return to your (heavy?) metal and resin..... way out man :cool:

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Very nice Mick.

I have a couple of Q6s and V1/3 lurking somewhere, and one day I might even get round to building them, or there again I might ask you to do it !

Richard

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Very nice Mick.

I have a couple of Q6s and V1/3 lurking somewhere, and one day I might even get round to building them, or there again I might ask you to do it !

Richard

Well this close after Xmas it was a struggle, but then I couldn't not afford to get them; as is my want they'll get some pimping. Inside motion sets and some of the white metal will be replaced, Q6 tender top for one, A8 cab roof and all new bogie (currently just one big slab of white metal).

I'm tempted to go 22nd century with 3D new smoke boxes with interiors and opening doors, just need to work on the mechanical integration a bit; boilers I'll change for sheet metal, a nod to the traditional faction.

The shop door is always open, it's s bit full in here at the moment but slots come and go :cool:

I still have your covered hopper here BTW and the SP GP60 is probably going to be released soon ;) let me know if you're interested, if not I'll sling it on Ebay.

IMG_9946.jpg

jonte

Western Thunderer
It’s all about having enough Gorillas spending long enough, as per the infinite monkey theorem. Even producing the works of Shakespeare is inevitable — eventually.

A less complex text would likely be produced sooner:
View attachment 206877

And so with the theory of evolution. There is variation within species. In certain circumstances, having certain characteristics, on the average, make survival more likely — resulting in differential reproductive success. Meaning the next generation has a higher proportion of individuals with the beneficial characteristic. And so on. That’s evolution, right there. Plenty of well documented examples. Our understanding of genetics has advanced enormously since Darwin, so he wasn’t right about that aspect. But on the issue of over-reproduction, the environment acting on variability resulting in differential reproductive success, causing change — Darwin absolutely gave us a rational explanation for observations that were previously inexplicable.
Many thanks for the enlightenment :thumbs:

Stats would no doubt bear that out too.

Hope the clockwork engines are still, well…..running like clockwork ;)

Jon

jonte

Western Thunderer
Seems like I'm in the same English class. :rolleyes:

My sciences were Geology, Chemistry and a grounding in Astrophysics.... all left behind when I started work in the Banking industry.

And thank-you for asking Jon - I have been keeping well although not much modelling done following recovery and returning to work after a CABG triple bypass op in Jan 2023.

And apologies for the diversion @mickoo - I'll let you return to your (heavy?) metal and resin..... way out man :cool:

Sorry to hear, Dave, but glad you are recovering well.

Jon

mickoo

Western Thunderer
More BG Buffalo progress, despite many hours it looks like nothing has been done, it's all in the little details.

Other than the valances and cab sides (modified) the rest you need to scratch build. The kit firebox has a slight waist to it but looking at photos I think these were near vertical sides, similar to other outside framed engines of the period in general. You'll not see much of it once the injectors/pipework and tool boxes go in anyway.

There's a lot of half etched rivet holes on the inside of the cabs (most not used on the BG cabs from what I can see) so they've all been filled with Milliput and smoothed off, it'll be interesting to see how well that works once paint goes on.

IMG_5625.jpg

IMG_5626.jpg

IMG_5627.jpg

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Bulleid Full Metal Jacket (FMJ) update.

I've done some notes and build hints for everyone who picked up one the FMJ packs, it's a work in progress but it'll get you on your way I'm sure.

Please ignore grammar, I'm and engineer, not a novelist :))

IMG_2859.jpg

I've got another in progress at the moment and possibly another toward the end of the year so will update where/if necessary.

michael mott

Western Thunderer
More BG Buffalo progress, despite many hours it looks like nothing has been done, it's all in the little details.

Other than the valances and cab sides (modified) the rest you need to scratch build. The kit firebox has a slight waist to it but looking at photos I think these were near vertical sides, similar to other outside framed engines of the period in general. You'll not see much of it once the injectors/pipework and tool boxes go in anyway.

There's a lot of half etched rivet holes on the inside of the cabs (most not used on the BG cabs from what I can see) so they've all been filled with Milliput and smoothed off, it'll be interesting to see how well that works once paint goes on.

View attachment 207137

View attachment 207138

View attachment 207139
I see solder.......what happened?:D
Michael
:D

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Bulleid Full Metal Jacket (FMJ) update.

I've done some notes and build hints for everyone who picked up one the FMJ packs, it's a work in progress but it'll get you on your way I'm sure.

Please ignore grammar, I'm and engineer, not a novelist :))
Ah, but a picture paints a thousand words.

I'd love to build the Bulleid with the FMJ upgrade, but I have 3 other kits still awaiting construction! On the other hand if you do something similar for the MOK Q1 then I would be interested! :cool:

All the best
Mike

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Ah, but a picture paints a thousand words.

I'd love to build the Bulleid with the FMJ upgrade, but I have 3 other kits still awaiting construction! On the other hand if you do something similar for the MOK Q1 then I would be interested! :cool:

All the best
Mike
There's little point on the MOK Q1, it's already got an excellent pedigree and metal casing, what it really needs is a 3D boiler base as a light blocker and a smoke box unit if you wanted to open the door. I've got the info but not the MOK kit yet to measure it all up to fit or more importantly, time to sort it all out.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
More BG Buffalo.

The sandboxes, tool boxes, smokebox front and fittings are all loose fitted, primarily to see if they fit in, on and around the 3D saddle tank, that in itself is a test pig for fit and form.

There are a couple of areas to tweak, handrail holes moving up 0.3 mm so that the handrail knob flared base clears the plate riveting, adding 0.4 mm to the rear end as it's a tad to short and fitting the chimney base as part of the saddle print. The chimney has been lined with thin bore tube in it's base which will drop into and secure it to the tank.

The top plates have been reduced in thickness to 0.2 as they're a bit chunky right now at 0.3 mm thick and I may go down to 0.15 if I think they need it. The problem is it's a 27 hour print so I need to be mindful of choking the build plate time for other projects.

I'm happy with the base tank model, orientation and surface finish on the test pig, all I need to do now are the changes and send it on it's way, that'll be over night now.

I'm hoping the smokebox front will trim up to match tank behind and leave a nice lip at the front, if not a new scratch built one will be the order of the day.

IMG_5628.jpg

IMG_5629.jpg

IMG_5630.jpg