7mm Mickoo's Commercial Workbench

mickoo

Western Thunderer
It's already in the spec! (Currently buried in instruction updates as the new castings become available :confused:)
Excellent, the brass is just too fragile and as soon as you apply any heat to solder the footplate to the frame angles it buckles up as the original builder found. What is interesting/odd is that the cab roof is nickel silver but virtually everything else is brass, including the chassis.

Overseer

Western Thunderer
That's interesting and I've not seen (more correctly, hadn't noticed or taken the care to notice) one like that before, I'll leave well alone in this case and run with what's fitted.

I've had a quick look through the small selection I have, some of these are copyright protected so I've just cropped the relevant area to preserve as much of the owners rights as possible.

View attachment 221243

View attachment 221244

View attachment 221245

View attachment 221246

View attachment 221247

I only have 12 images, 5 have the more distinct tapered chimney.
I fully understand the reason for not changing the chimney on this model.

The additional photos confirm that the white metal casting is too tapered and looks exaggerated compared with the more tapered prototype. It would be a missed opportunity to reissue the kit with an NQR chimney, especially if you have already drawn an accurate version of one of the types used.

I do have a bit of a thing about the shape of chimneys.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I fully understand the reason for not changing the chimney on this model.

The additional photos confirm that the white metal casting is too tapered and looks exaggerated compared with the more tapered prototype. It would be a missed opportunity to reissue the kit with an NQR chimney, especially if you have already drawn an accurate version of one of the types used.

I do have a bit of a thing about the shape of chimneys.
Agreed, from a green field perspective then I;d change it, hacking this one off and refitting new is not cost effective, I've done a basic comparison, it's out but to my mind not too far, but then chimneys are not one of my detail anoraks that keep me awake at night.

Interestingly it appears a better profile at the rear than at the front, which suggests it might be a mould issue and it's deformed on one side, that'd make sense as the mould split line is transverse. A similar effect is seen head on where the flange is tilted more to one side and has a bigger area on the RH side (looking forward).

Having said that, the real engine image also appears to have a more pronounced vertical angle at the front than the rear, maybe that'sjust one of those optical illusions like two lines drawn parallel which look tapered.

Image.jpg