7mm Mid-Century mineral

Suddaby

Western Thunderer
Hi,

Interested to see that you are modelling the Hull Corporation Electrickery wagon.
There is a photo and more details in PO Wagons V3 by Bill Hudson.
He gives livery details as follows:- Grey Body, partial black ironwork, white letters, black shading. The small lettering reads: "Empty to Hickleton Main Colliery Co. Ltd. Near Doncaster". Underneath that on the floor plank it says: "H&B Rly. Load 12 Tons". All this small lettering is in a lovely italic script.
A couple other refs - MRJ 12 and 15 though these are the usual photos seen elsewhere.

Although I am from Hull originally, I have lived in Derbyshire for over 45 years; the wagon was built at Derbyshire Carriage and Wagon Co, New Whittington Chesterfield, about 10 miles North of where I now live!

All the best,

Kevin

Overseer

Western Thunderer
Hi,

Interested to see that you are modelling the Hull Corporation Electrickery wagon.
There is a photo and more details in PO Wagons V3 by Bill Hudson.
He gives livery details as follows:- Grey Body, partial black ironwork, white letters, black shading. The small lettering reads: "Empty to Hickleton Main Colliery Co. Ltd. Near Doncaster". Underneath that on the floor plank it says: "H&B Rly. Load 12 Tons". All this small lettering is in a lovely italic script.
A couple other refs - MRJ 12 and 15 though these are the usual photos seen elsewhere.

Although I am from Hull originally, I have lived in Derbyshire for over 45 years; the wagon was built at Derbyshire Carriage and Wagon Co, New Whittington Chesterfield, about 10 miles North of where I now live!

All the best,

Kevin
Thank you, I thought it looked grey in the builders photo but making assumptions based on b/w photos is risky. It will end up with only remnants of the livery, so it won’t be pretty.

Suddaby

Western Thunderer
Hi,

One thing I didn't mention above is regarding the reference in MRJ12, is that it is part of Chris Crofts treatise on building PO wagons (all be it in 4mm scale). This spanned issues 12 to 15, with a catch up in 21. He did build a 7mm Slaters kit for Inkerman St in Iss 31.

Cheers,

Kevin

Overseer

Western Thunderer
Hi,

One thing I didn't mention above is regarding the reference in MRJ12, is that it is part of Chris Crofts treatise on building PO wagons (all be it in 4mm scale). This spanned issues 12 to 15, with a catch up in 21. He did build a 7mm Slaters kit for Inkerman St in Iss 31.

Cheers,

Kevin
Thanks Kevin. I hadn't pulled out my copies of MRJ 12 and 15, but have now. The same two photos are included in David Larkin's Acquired Wagons Vol 3. The lettering seems to have changed slightly at some stage, the 1957 photo shows traces of 'POWER' at the right hand end of the 4th plank down which presumably replaced the 'FOR POWER & LIGHTING' on the bottom plank of the early photo. Reminds me I need to add the commode handles on both ends.

Also on page 9 of MRJ 12 is a photo of a pre-1923 Stephenson Clarke 7 plank wagon in the black with unshaded white lettering as discussed in one of the tin plate threads. Similar to these ones taken circa 1920 -
SC wagons c1920.jpg
Not directly relevant to this thread as I don't think the early livery SC wagons survived into the 1950s. Maybe a few did last into the early 1950s as there is a photograph in one of the bookazines of one upside down after being bombed during WW2 - it looks in good condition apart from the blast damage.