Trade New Products

marsa69

Western Thunderer
Heljan to do a Class 31...?

A 31 would be right up my branchline! Shame it needs money to go with it :shock: :lol:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

CME & Bottlewasher said:
Hi :wave:

It would have to be Blue un for me - I hope that they will get their gear issue sorted though :eek:

I thought that they were doing a Deltic - or did I dream that :scratch:

Cheers :wave:
Hi CME :wave:

Heljan had pre production prototypes of the Deltic & Scottish Sulzers on display at Telford, the 33 is the next loco to become available in Oct/Nov (they also had a finished one of those on display).....I share your reservations about gear issues though :scratch: :?

Cheers Phill

S

Simon Dunkley

CME & Bottlewasher said:
I am with Tony Wright's philosophy on this aspect of the matter in that I wouldnt wish to re-paint a RTR factory painted model if at all possible - may as well make a kit and paint it my self otherwise...
CME :wave:
I was just playing Devil's Advocate - I think that is a valid point.

I could not for one moment imagine them not doing it in blue, but if they didn't, someone will be offering resprays, I am sure, albeit it a price.

There may be an opportunity for a bit of detail painting which Hejan may not do themselves which I think is OK on an RTR model given that it would increase the price inordinately but more importantly provides an opportunity to do a little customisation work which then makes it a personal model.

Mind you when I was younger all I had access to was Hornby, and that meant removing extraneous moulded detail (SYP guide lines on the front of locos) and often a bit of detailing (wire handrails) which lead to at least the yellow being re-painted. Frequently I just bought whichever was cheapest, and repainted it to suit my blue inclinations. (At the time this was fully up to date contemporaneous modelling!)

djparkins

Western Thunderer

CME & Bottlewasher said:
[quote=""Simon Dunkley"":18raoca7][quote=""CME & Bottlewasher"":18raoca7]
It would have to be Blue un for me
There are plenty of tins of blue paint available. ;)[/quote:18raoca7]

Hi Simon,

I am with Tony Wright's philosophy on this aspect of the matter in that I wouldnt wish to re-paint a RTR factory painted model if at all possible - may as well make a kit and paint it my self otherwise...

CME :wave:[/quote:18raoca7]

A difficult one! Some modellers must be prepared to repaint them as we have done quite well with our detail sets for the Heljan Class 47 & to use our body/underframe set with the loco cannot but result in the need to repaint the model.

If repainting is a 'no-no' then it kind of renders the idea of us doing detail sets for these locos as a waste of time - and yet our sales tell us that this is not so!

You know I really get the impression that there are a whole group of modellers out there who are not on these forums and not in the GOG either. Looking at our list of railway customers for one thing, convinces me that this is so. Perhaps they'd never join any club that would have them as a member!!! [Sorry Groucho!]

With Regards,

David,
MMP

S

Simon Dunkley

djparkins said:
Perhaps they'd never join any club that would have them as a member!!! [Sorry Groucho!]
Well, they let me in, so they may have a point...

djparkins

Western Thunderer

Sorry you have lost me on the matter the "....a whole group of modellers...." issue...... :scratch:

All the best,

CME...[/quote]

Hello CME -

Well what I was trying to say was that it was stated by either yourself [or another poster you had quoted] that they could not imagine anyone re-painting completely an expensive 7mm RTR loco and I was pointing out that several must do this from the amount of Class 47 Body/UF sets we have sold - where this would is required.

Then I went on to say that looking at the majority of the customers we've sold these sets to [and indeed the majority of our 7mm customers], they do not seem to post on the forums or even be in the Guild [I am not - since 1988]. I know some look at the forums as they tell me so but that is a little different. They kind of observe from the shadows - but from the desriptions of work they have done that I've heard them go into on the phone, many surely know what they are about. So there are obviously other modellers out there who, as an example, maybe/definitely are prepared to re-paint their Heljan locos etc.

As a further example we have now sold since its initial release between 1400-1500 08 kits. Where are they all?

I suspect the vast majority of modellers never show their work like the guys on forums such as these do - so we don't know what they get up to. I had an order last year from a Russian modelling UK O gauge - he purchased 6 packs on Dogfish, Catfish & both Tank Wagons in one order to be shipped to Russia. He also has both our 08 & 47 Detail Sets - so he has re-painted a 47 too!

Regards,

David

28ten

Guv'nor

I tend to agree with DJP, there is a silent majority who want, and buy 7mm RtR.
For me Deltic? Meh...I would rather have a poke in the eye and the 31 is like the 08 - for less money and a bit of effort there is a superior kit available, unlike the Hymek where the heljan is cheaper and better than the available kit
Call me a grumpy old fart, but the increase in RTR plastic is making me want to move away from anything blue and to an earlier timeframe...

marsa69

Western Thunderer

Call me a grumpy old fart, but the increase in RTR plastic is making me want to move away from anything blue and to an earlier timeframe...

I can understand the sentiment in this my friend. But for someone like me, who will never be able to reach the heady heights of building a brass loco kit to the same standard as other more experienced modellers, a good quality RTR loco with the option of super detailing at a later date is a step in the right direction. Sure, I have a go at building rolling stock and eventually I will attempt my PRMRP Shark and MMP catfish when I feel confident enough. But I think it would be a long time, if ever, if I even attempt an MMP loco kit for example (not because I subscribe to the theory that they are only for uber-modellers) but because of time constraints and my own lack of skills . I like to build but I also want to be able to run trains. So what I am saying is a want a little of each world and if I can achieve that then I will be a very happy modeller,

regards,

Mark

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

28ten said:
I welcome the increase in RTR plastic as my hobby time is limited by my family & full time job & while I do like building kits, I do also like having a railway to run & RTR /Kit-bashed loco's & stock do enable me to achieve this goal :)

Cheers Phill

28ten

Guv'nor

I understand what you are saying and I have rtr stock myself (and I will buy more if its of the right price and quality) , but I can see the time when there are a load of people running identical Heljan mk1's and Blue diesels without any modification or renumbering.

Phill, from what I have seen, I would say you have a good balance between the two.
As I said im just an old grump!!

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

I would still like to see more Hydraulics produced in either RTR or quality kits rather than being reliant on JLTRT, but pehaps they are poor sellers judging by the lack of alternatives :scratch:

Cheers Phill

28ten

Guv'nor

Phill Dyson said:
I would still like to see more Hydraulics produced in either RTR or quality kits rather than being reliant on JLTRT, but pehaps they are poor sellers judging by the lack of alternatives :scratch:

Cheers Phill
Yes an alternative Western would be nice. Judging by the number or Westerns I have seen compared to Cl20 I wouldnt say they were poor sellers.....

S

Simon Dunkley

Phill Dyson said:
I think the problem is that hydraulics are a bit of a "marmite" subject: people either love them, or they don't. And of course there is the geographical restrictions (I am aware of inter-regional workings, but these were not that common) which basically mean if you model, for example, the midland lines of the former Midland Railway, then there is little scope for the appearance of a Warship, whereas if you model the WR in the 60s, you can run a 47, etc.

In G1 the situation is reversed: I wish there were some kits of Sulzer engined locos to rival the quality of Fred Phipps' work on hydraulics!

S

Simon Dunkley

CME & Bottlewasher said:
I know that you have mentioned before how many 08 kits you have sold - it would be great the know what has happened to them, I wonder how many have been built because I have seen very few at exhibitions (multi-gauge/scale exhibitions I must add). I always ask questions of the operators when I see diesels in 7mm and I have yet to come accross an MMP 08 - bizarre! :scratch: I have seen some Bachmann 08's with you super-detail kits fitted, a marked improvement :thumbs: :bowdown: :drool:
Simon Thompson has built one to Scale7 standards. I have seen it on Braunstone Gate and at least one other layout he has built.
Very nice it is, too. He wrote it up for the S7Group Newsletter: having achieved an oily, dirty look, every time he handles it, he wants to wipe his hands!

I suspect, but do not know for certain, that Paul Prior's LMS shunter is also MMP.

djparkins

Western Thunderer

I know that you have mentioned before how many 08 kits you have sold - it would be great the know what has happened to them, I wonder how many have been built because I have seen very few at exhibitions (multi-gauge/scale exhibitions I must add). I always ask questions of the operators when I see diesels in 7mm and I have yet to come accross an MMP 08 - bizarre! :scratch: I have seen some Bachmann 08's with you super-detail kits fitted, a marked improvement [/quote]

Hello CME -

But that is my point - as my accounts records show, the vast majority of our 08s [including many in Holland] are sold to customers who are outside of the GOG or of posters on forums such as these. On the same basis I was disputing the claim that it was hard to imagine anyone re-painting completely a Heljan loco - clearly from our sales, many do! All of which leaves me to suppose that there are many other O gauge modellers 'in the shadows' so to speak.

Regards,

David