4mm Polsarrett: BR(S) N Cornwall Clay, The Final Countdown

KMRC clay dries roof joists completed

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
And then outside to action item 1 on the list...

IMG_20210810_171611.jpg IMG_20210810_171644_1.jpg IMG_20210810_171732_1.jpg

Halfords grey primer on first. Then a waft in places with an off white to represent the clay dust. And finally some contrasting brown for the roof timbers. Nothing too detailed or accurate - I was after an impression only.

In the final 2 photos the front roof is loose and upsidedown to allow the paint to dry.

Jeremy Good

Western Thunderer
If it’s an active dry I think it should be tiled. If I remember correctly the tiles/slates are spaced to allow ventilation as the hot, damp air released from drying the clay needs to be able to vent out of the building. Certainly when Andrew Ullyott built the dries on Wheal Elizabeth he used individually laid and spaced slates and it looks right.

I don’t recall seeing crinkly tin/asbestos on active dries although it does appear on clay stores and plenty of the ancillary buildings in the clay areas.

I really like the roof framing and it should give some really interesting views into the building. The enlarged building also looks much more plausible on the layout as these facilities were generally pretty large facilities if they were to remain financially viable.

Looking forward to seeing this develop.

Jeremy

Jeremy Good

Western Thunderer
Looking at some photos of dries on-line there does appear to be a fair amount of corrugated asbestos roof sheeting in use but with raised vents at the apex of the roof to allow venting. Maybe not as clear cut as my initial response and probably down to what looks best alongside other structures and how much time you’ve got for the roof. Individual slates might take some time….!

Maybe crinkly stuff has scored in extra time!

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Thanks all.

The dries will be vented at the apex and, as much as it would look nice, I'm more inclined to go with the sheeted roof at the moment. I'm awaiting delivery of some books with clay industry photos in, so the final decision will be made after giving them a good perusal.

Last edited:
Clay dries stacking prototype photo

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Now then. Research done on roofs and even back to the 1930s there seems to be a good mix of tiles and corrugated sheet materials used.

On the basis that I can reuse / modify the original KMRC dries roofs, and I can't face separately tiling them, I'm going to go with the sheet option.

Of all the photos I looked at, the one below in the Middleton Press, West Cornwall Mineral Railways book by Maurice Dart (plate 36) caught my eye as worth using as my reference. Dated as 1930s and the location is Carpella siding.

rps20210813_165849.jpg

JasonBz

Western Thunderer
The Dries certainly look much more like Dries now - They are all pretty big buildings, even the little out of the way rustic ones.
I think Mr Rice built the ones on Trerice to near HO scale to stop them dwarfing everything else..

More interesting though, is just how the BWTs will react if they ever meet a BR class 03 (which most likely did happen at some point!)

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
The Dries certainly look much more like Dries now - They are all pretty big buildings, even the little out of the way rustic ones.
I think Mr Rice built the ones on Trerice to near HO scale to stop them dwarfing everything else..

More interesting though, is just how the BWTs will react if they ever meet a BR class 03 (which most likely did happen at some point!)

Cheers chap, glad I went for it and made the minor modifications.

Now then... The Beattie tanks would have met the 1366s and potentially the 1366s met the St Blazey 03s but I don't think the Beattie tanks and the 03s ever met. Probably a good thing. They get quite defensive of their patch.

Last edited: