4mm Polsarrett: BR(S) N Cornwall Clay, The Final Countdown

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Thanks all for the continued kind thoughts. Update on the car front...

My car has been written off and there's a cheque in the post which is actually for a good chunk more than I was being offered for trade-ins a few months ago.

Other party has accepted fault, hire car in residence and, after a mad few days dashing all over the Midlands, I've paid the deposit on a new(er) car.

Bruises are retreating, but chest is still tender. The mental side is getting better after driving 300miles in the hire car over the last week.

Looking forward to getting the new(er) car in a week or so. Just on the verge of getting a dashcam which, after the post incident uncertainty, is now a must in my mind.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Glad to hear everything is beginning to sort itself out, Chris.

On dash cams, it is generally recommended to seek models that record in very high definition. The one I have records up to 2688x1520 pixels, which means detail like numberplates can be resolved at a fair distance from my windscreen. It’s also worth considering a setup that also has a rear-facing camera, which mine doesn’t. Then again, my rear wiper has packed up and I can’t actually see out of the rear window at the moment! :))

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Pretty much good news all round, Chris - apart from the persistent bruising.

I'm pleased that your confidence has returned. That's frequently the biggest hurdle to overcome.

Brian

Nick C

Western Thunderer
Glad to hear everything is beginning to sort itself out, Chris.

On dash cams, it is generally recommended to seek models that record in very high definition. The one I have records up to 2688x1520 pixels, which means detail like numberplates can be resolved at a fair distance from my windscreen. It’s also worth considering a setup that also has a rear-facing camera, which mine doesn’t. Then again, my rear wiper has packed up and I can’t actually see out of the rear window at the moment! :))
Or if you can't get a good one that does a rear camera, get a second one (which could be a cheaper or older model) to go in the back window. There's loads of guides online as to what's good at the moment, as with any tech it varies as new models are released all the time.

Also note that if you go abroad, they're illegal in some countries (Austria particularly)

Andy P

Western Thunderer
Thanks all for the continued kind thoughts. Update on the car front...

My car has been written off and there's a cheque in the post which is actually for a good chunk more than I was being offered for trade-ins a few months ago.

Other party has accepted fault, hire car in residence and, after a mad few days dashing all over the Midlands, I've paid the deposit on a new(er) car.

Bruises are retreating, but chest is still tender. The mental side is getting better after driving 300miles in the hire car over the last week.

Looking forward to getting the new(er) car in a week or so. Just on the verge of getting a dashcam which, after the post incident uncertainty, is now a must in my mind.
On reading of your woes last week Chris, I booked in for a good quality Dash Cam front and rear and its being fitted tomorrow morning, I'm also told it may help with a discount on my Insurance, but even if not, its peace of mind.

All the best.

Simon

Flying Squad
But no amount of dashcammery, in reverse or forwards, or of any quality, will influence any behaviour of other road users.

Just an observation, please don't trouble yourselves with replying to the thought or discussing the matter any further.

I'm very sorry to hear of your accident Chris, and an glad you are getting over it.

In the meantime you have created a fantastic model railway about which this thread ought to be.

Simon

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
But no amount of dashcammery, in reverse or forwards, or of any quality, will influence any behaviour of other road users.

Just an observation, please don't trouble yourselves with replying to the thought or discussing the matter any further.

I'm very sorry to hear of your accident Chris, and an glad you are getting over it.

In the meantime you have created a fantastic model railway about which this thread ought to be.

Simon
I doubt very much that dashcams have any affect on other drivers behaviour, it's mainly from the point of providing evidence of fault to the insurance company that I'm going down that route.

The trainsets are taking a back seat at the moment and I'm focusing on house DIY and garden for the summer. Lots to do and many, many brownie points to acquire to pay off the all consuming work on Polsarrett.

Simon

Flying Squad
The trainsets are taking a back seat at the moment and I'm focusing on house DIY and garden for the summer. Lots to do and many, many brownie points to acquire to pay off the all consuming work on Polsarrett.

Ah yes, drains - now you're talking, almost as interesting as trains...

Simon

RichardS

Saw this and thought of your friend Chris.:))
Sorry I'm really late in posting about this. But is that a three coach train does anybody think? I've enlarged it inconclusively. Obv. a P set looks to be 199 but looks to have a third coach at rear. Wonder if this could be the famed 'school train' (not in passenger TT btw I understand)
Only anotherr 44 pages to go to be up to date!

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Sorry I'm really late in posting about this. But is that a three coach train does anybody think? I've enlarged it inconclusively. Obv. a P set looks to be 199 but looks to have a third coach at rear. Wonder if this could be the famed 'school train' (not in passenger TT btw I understand)
Only anotherr 44 pages to go to be up to date!

Yes, definitely a 3 coach train. P set at the front and an extra at the rear.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
I've long been unhappy with using servos on Polsarrett to operate the turnouts. Whilst there are those far cleverer than I who swear by them, I swear at them. When turning it all on it seems to be pot luck as to if they have remembered their settings and if they need fine tuning again.

My intention was to replace with Tortoises, but I'd have to come up with some cunning mounting to install flat under the board as the board isn't deep enough to contain them. This put me off doing anything on that front.

Over the years I've also looked at the linear motors sold by MTB but they always seem out of stock. A chance email over Christmas telling me they were back in stock has led to an impulse buy of six:

PXL_20240105_103746331.jpg

Opening the box, and adding a 50p coin for scale, shows how small they are:

PXL_20240105_103808890.jpg

Shouldn't have any issues finding space to install!

Last edited: