7mm Richards P48 US Thread

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Stephen,

no I didn't get a CN one, the version they did had the wide cab which I din't want. I don't know if CN had any narrow cab ones, I would have thought they would have done.
I have bought an undecorated one, but I haven't actually got that yet so I don;t know exactly what it is, it could be a tunnel motor.

The Mopac one is really nice, I just need to convert the final SP one.

If you are tempted he is still listing 2 SP ones and a CN one at the moment.

Richard

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Hi Jordan

The Sunset GP30 is a plastic body loco, with some brass parts for detailing. They have listed a SOO version with the Alco trucks, but that is no guarantee that they will actually produce it. The SOO SD40 got cancelled due to a lack of pre orders.

Richard

mickoo

Western Thunderer
CN certainly had Spartan cab SD20-2, not sure if they were Railroad specific orders from new or acquired stock from mergers (I think most were) but they are around to choose from.

I kinda like the Canada cab version with the big sun decks out front and back.

What does look odd are GE Dash 8's with the Canada cabs before GE added their own designed wide cab, both CN and BCR took that option.

Last edited:

Stephen

Western Thunderer
Stephen,

no I didn't get a CN one, the version they did had the wide cab which I din't want. I don't know if CN had any narrow cab ones, I would have thought they would have done.
I have bought an undecorated one, but I haven't actually got that yet so I don;t know exactly what it is, it could be a tunnel motor.

The Mopac one is really nice, I just need to convert the final SP one.

If you are tempted he is still listing 2 SP ones and a CN one at the moment.

Richard
Hi Richard,

I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t gone back to the 3rd Rail website to see what they still had in stock…..!

But with a P10, another GP9, and maybe, just maybe, a break from the era for a KM4000, I really shouldn’t go down the SP SD40-2T, or when whole Canadian route…..I am however slightly kicking myself for not picking up that Atlas Alco C-series CN Co-Co in Chicago for $450….

Cheers,

Stephen

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Hi Richard,

I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t gone back to the 3rd Rail website to see what they still had in stock…..!

But with a P10, another GP9, and maybe, just maybe, a break from the era for a KM4000, I really shouldn’t go down the SP SD40-2T, or when whole Canadian route…..I am however slightly kicking myself for not picking up that Atlas Alco C-series CN Co-Co in Chicago for $450….

Cheers,

Stephen
You know you want to, can't beat Zebra stripe CN units ;)

Despite aiming mainly for BNSF/UP in my HO world, I do still seem to keep acquiring CN units :eek:, there's something about Canada cabs and Draper tapers that tick all the boxes.

richard carr

Western Thunderer
I wouldn't call that a hand grenade Tim, it looks great.

I am tempted but I can't buy one of every single version.

Maybe if there is a second run, the good news is they do go round 1m radius curves !

Richard

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Whilst folks are hijacking the thread to mention CN can I throw this handgrenade in?
View attachment 219085
It's a CN SD40-2W in deplorable condition at Squamish BC.
Even though I have a suitable shell I'm not skilled or brave enough to try and replicate it
One detail to note here is the engine intake snow cover which is common on CN and I think some CP units, I've a faint inkling SP might have fitted a handful and UP has some on their snow clearing units over Donner which I think might have been Ex SP units.

Something else I've just noticed and that's a door on the conductors rear side of the Canada cab, note notch in snow cover to allow door to fully open and depressed handrail to clear the door handle. I've not spotted that before and assumed they were like all other cabs with the brake mans seat tucked up in that corner.

Note also the end steps, they're of the 'ladder' type at both ends, I.E each rung is directly above the one below, typically Phase II engines had 'staircase' steps (the lower one juts out below the one above) for safety reasons. Tunnel motors have staircase at the front and ladder at the rear, simply because of the extended radiator section didn't allow enough space for a staircase type on the rear.

It looks like (quick scan of photos) both CN and CP opted for ladder type steps at both ends on their SD40's I'm going to make a best guess it's for climate reasons as vertical steps will accumulate less packed snow. Interestingly, even the CP rebuilt Eco SD40's still retain the ladder type, I would have thought staircase was a mandate now.

Both of Richards CP and SP units look to have the correct tooling for the steps specific to those two Railroads/units, more often as not you'll see staircase units painted in Canadian colours and that's your lot.

One further diversion whilst scanning CP units was this Elephant ear fitted unit, I'd have wagered heavily on SP had these and I'm not sure how many were fitted or for how long; but it opens up a little diversion from the run of the mill CP units.

CP 5640.jpg

richard carr

Western Thunderer
As I mentioned earlier the SD40s do have a few major flaws, the easiest to fix and most visible are the air tanks.
You can see in the photo above how they sit on the edge of the fuel tank and are fixed to the frames. The model looks like this

20240710_185735.jpg

The tanks are too small, 6mm in diameter when they should be almost 8mms. They are also hidden away almost out of sight from some angles.

So I have 3D printed some replacement, tanks these are just test ones so I can hack them about to get them to fit and then redo the drawing so they come ready to use.

20240710_185744.jpg

20240710_185815.jpg

The original tanks are held in place by 2 wire pins so I will probably do the same, if not I shall glue the flattened top to the bottom of the frames.