7mm Rob Pulham's Work Bench - Back (again) to the LNER 06 (MOK 8F)

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Upon reading an article of making lubractors in the latest Gauge O Guild Gazette I decide to add some to Nellie. The ones described in the article were for Silvertown lubricators as opposed to the ones that I have made but the principle is the same.

Starting with a length of brass bar I measured 10mm along and marked it (for two lubricators 5mm in length each). I then filed a slope on the top, drilled 4 holes for the pipes on the bottom and got a piece of scrap fret and marked it to length and then filed either end back to leave a handle. I then placed this on a partially opened mini vice and creased it slightly using a small flat screwdriver blade. I soldered the top on with 298 degree solder and my micro flame to prevent it coming lose while attaching the pipes and then subsequently soldering it to the tank fronts.

Nellie005-1.jpg

Nellie001-6.jpg
I also started on the cab interior adding the back head to the false floor and making use of the lever reverser that came with te J63 kit.

Nellie003-4.jpg

Nellie004-2.jpg

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
I was still admiring the etches when Rob from the Peoples Republic of Yorkshire completed his model.

You called:)

Nellie is as complete as I want her to be.
The last details added are Laurie Griffin LNER lamp irons and some nice cast brass vacuum pipes (not sure whose but they are nice).

Nellie001-9.jpg

Nellie002-9.jpg

Nellie003-7.jpg

I have added the rest of the detail to the back head and I also knocked up a brake standard from tube, washers, brass rod and a handrail knob. This is now drying, having been primed along with the crew. The chassis is also drying having been primed too.

Nellie005-3.jpg

I just need to see if my Maskol is still usable for the brass pipework on the back head and that will be primed too. The holes in the floor plate are for the crew and the brake standard once I have put down the wooden floor they will sit on top.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Please ask your Boilersmith about what he has done with the gauge frame....

Hi Graham,

After extensive consultation with Ted, the Boilersmith for Tedcaster Sidings. The conclusion reached is that seeing as Nellie is a cross between a Labrador and a Lavatory door, the gauge frame was deemed superfluous to the final design. As such it was discarded in favour of something which was viewed as much more cost effective to the cash strapped LNER in the 30's - nothing at all:D

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
... as Nellie is a cross between a Labrador and a Lavatory door, the gauge frame was deemed superfluous to the final design. As such it was discarded in favour of something which was viewed as much more cost effective to the cash strapped LNER in the 30's - nothing at all:D

Surely you mean :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: ?

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hang on a mo. I recognise that backhead. It's an L&Y one. I know coz I have just put one in my A class:)

P1010574a.jpg

Cheers

Richard

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
I carved a lot of the detail off and replaced with brass fittings from Laurie Griffin. Added more pipework, gauges and other bits from scratch that I can't begin to identify! It's fairly clear from my photo what enhancements I have made.

Richard

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Thank you Richard. I recollect that we used a Stroudley backhead, for a Highland engine, in our Nellie.... as being a "set of parts" from LG there was a gauge frame in the packet.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
so what you see is what you are going to get.

Despite the rash statement above, I have added a little more detail to the back head in the form of some gauge glasses made from strips of 1mm perspex and a couple of dials that I will attach to the cab front once stick it in to the cab. Plus a planked cab floor from coffee stirrers

Nellie002-10.jpg

My compressor made a bid for freedom and smashed itself to bits on the floor :(:headbang::rant::shit: so the painting of Nellie has stopped while the replacement arrives.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
I had a mass painting seesion over the long weekend with quite few of my Slaters/parkside wagons now ready for transfers. I also did a bit more with the cab detail of Nellie and thought I would take a couple of photos as once it gos inside it won't be possible to get the same angle shot again.

And not a wing mirror in sight - for now:))

Nellie003-9.jpg

Nellie001-10.jpg