Trade SDMP/Finney7 - Driving a Geep?

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Guys,

Price investigations completed this evening. Pending final confirmation of the price of the gears the launch pricing for these gearboxes is as follows:

Blines 13:1 Power
Fret only £3.55
Complete kit £23.00 inc. gears, bearings and fret
Ex-works complete from £40.00 ea. (tbc - please supply your choice of motor/I can supply some motors at cost)

Blines 13:1 Remote
Fret only £3.05
Complete kit £25.00 inc. gears, bearings, silver steel input shaft and fret
Ex-works complete from £40.00 ea. (tbc)

As can be seen from these prices, most of the value in these units is in the bearings and gears - exactly where you'd want and expect it to be spent.

I hope I've kicked off a few people madly and happily running around with a calculator to compare pricing with a couple of well-known alternatives. For my part I have met my pricing objective in that the price for a complete motor gearbox solution (including wheels, etc) for a bogie diesel is around 2/3rds the price of a well-known alternative.

Steph

Steph,
Do you have any photographic references to show these items fitted? I have a MMP 47 to build at some point and am quite interested.

Regards

Darren Sherwood-Jones

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Darren,

There's some shots of the completed drive in an MMP Class 47 bogie in my 'Modern Traction Workbench' thread - see Post #48 about half way down this page. In due course I'll update the Application Note for the gearboxes to cover how they fit in MMP kits...

I hope that's of some help?

Steph

Steph,
That's great, thanks for the heads up. It has given some food for thought on what to do with my 47, and possibly i may revisit my MMP 60 at some point since it only has one motor.

Got to finish my MMP 31 first!!

Regards

DSJ

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Guys,

Is there any interest in providing pre-cut masks/stencils? . Sorts of things I'm thinking about could include grey panels for Blue/grey coaches, double-arrow symbols, yellow warning panels, two-tone livery masks, glazing masks etc. Could be either self-adhesive or not.

These things are quite common in aero and military modelling, see here:
http://www.eduard.com/store/Eduard/Masks/?cur=1&force_sid=3c66f65ac3eaa792f70c97e458ac1065

Thoughts, please?

Steph

marsa69

Western Thunderer
They sound like good ideas to me :thumbs:

I know the paintshop on camp uses a multitude of precut stencils for the most common things they paint. Anything else they get the stencil bay to mak eup what they need. So I can't see why something similiar isn't used in railway modelling,

Mark

Montex masks via A2Zee models is my choice when doing my plastic modelling. Even loco lining comes to mind but could be fiddly. I would kick off by wanting some DRS compass livery masks for a 37...........................

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Guys,

Just a quick heads-up. I'm continuing with the development of other gearbox options; they were all planned, but I've had a lot of requests for other ratios and sizes than the 13:1 so far developed; so I've pulled them all forward. The aim is to get a full sheet test etch populated by the end of May - so no holding breath/turning blue please!

I'm also starting work with a couple of suppliers to find suitable masking films and a means of processing them to get what we want. The first product in this range is likely to be a mask sheet suitable for the wasp stripes on the MMP Class 08 kit.

Anything else so far mentioned remains a possibility as I'm working to bring a number of things to market; as each thing pauses or slows I'm moving on/back to something else... :confused::D

Steph

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
Hi Steph,

Masking stripes for Intercity livery would be fantastic. I'm thinking of the red and white stripes (which are different thicknesses). Whilst they're easy enough to cut from masking tape, it does take time (when you've got a rake to do) and getting them consistent is the biggest pain.

Cheers

Tom

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Both Marsa and myself were talking last night and we came to the conclusion that if there was a tape the correct width for the grey upper body colour and another for the white strip someone could save alot of time masking

mth

Western Thunderer
Are you aware that, so I believe, FOX do a set of yellow/black transfers for 7mm wasp stripes on the 08 in one transfer (not sure, yet how easy such is to use).
CME:)

There are clear and black:oops: , Fox F 7303.
Not to bad to use as they go, just normal large water slide.:D

Ian G

Western Thunderer
I have used the Fox wasp stripes and it is a pain to get right, I think the masks will simplify it.

Ian G

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Martin, MTH, Ian,
To be honest it's all about options. The use of pre-cut masks is relatively common in military modelling where there can be considerable advantages in not using decals, with their attendant issues around transfer film, adhesive layers, etc. It is an approach that also offers significant advantages when producing specific paint or weathering effects, which would be a bit of a pain to recreate using decals (faded or worn effects for example).
In the same way that lining can be applied by transfer or with paint (by pen/brush) I'm aiming to offer the same choice for other finishes, logos, inscriptions, effects, etc.
Steph