7mm Stroudley Park

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Interesting to see B636 (2636). I finished mine from a Roxey kit and in the livery prior to nationalisation - alas with a Stroudley chimney as a Marsh one is not available.

When she was renumbered by the SR to 2636, Brighton Works used some LBSC gilt numbers they happened to have in the workshops on the rear of the bunker and tank sides.

Terrier 2636 rhs.jpg

SouthernFan Ian

Western Thunderer
Interesting to see B636 (2636). I finished mine from a Roxey kit and in the livery prior to nationalisation - alas with a Stroudley chimney as a Marsh one is not available.

When she was renumbered by the SR to 2636, Brighton Works used some LBSC gilt numbers they happened to have in the workshops on the rear of the bunker and tank sides.

Using up pre-grouping lettering styles was not unusual Dave, especially on the Southern central section. I've often thought about finishing a model in the same vein but couldn't quite pluck up the courage. My A1X was inspired by a picture in Locomotives Illustrated but only after finishing it, I realised the smokebox was flushed rivited so remedial action was required. Doh!
Well done Dave for modelling a tablet bracket by the cab opening and I like the clutter on the tank top too. All nicely done.
Regards,
Ian

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
My SR interest is the central section (and electrics) - I did notice when doing my Terrier at this period there was only one set of rivets on the smokebox! As they say no two Terriers are the same :) .

I also modelled the tablet bracket on my Roxey E4 and added the hammer as seen in a photo! :rolleyes:. The repair panel on the top half of the bunker side is made from car headlight repair tape.

E4 cab left.jpg

SouthernFan Ian

Western Thunderer
I seem to remember Dave, seeing a build write-up on your E4. You made a nice job of it.
Yes, it's central section and electrics for me also. A couple off years ago, I thoughly enjoyed building one of Dave Hammersley's 2NOL's. What I really hankered for was a 2BIL and they're a common as hen's teeth, but I did aquire a second hand Westdale kit and another 2NOL. Both destined for full Maunsell livery when I get around to building them.
This signalling lark is taking up most of my modelling time at the moment.
Regards,
Ian

SouthernFan Ian

Western Thunderer
The Big Loco's arrive at Stroudley Park
Thanks to Warren Haywood's wonderful painting skill, three new locos have arrived at Stroudley Park.
First up is an old MSC kit of an LBSCR D3 0-4-4 tank loco. I never really planned to have a D3 but recognised a rare kit when I saw one, so I bought it.
Suprisingly, the kit was a joy to build and it was my first attempt at scratch building a chassis, not only that, it is a split chassis, fully compensated and runs like a dream as pick up is on all wheels including the trailing bogie wheels.
Stroudley Park is starting to acquire a real 'Brighton' flavour now but there's more to do now these locos have arrived. There's weathering to complete, additional details and glazing plus a crew.
The same applies to the Class I3 also shown, except the chassis was part built when I bought the kit secondhand. Sadly, the sprung chassis means the I3 will not pull the skin off a rice pudding. I need to buy another chassis and build it compensated!
IMG_2510-1.jpg
IMG_2511-1.jpg
There's also a Stroudley E1 tank loco, painted black and lined in green. I feel somewhat uncomfortable with the ex-works finish and cannot wait to weather the loco for a more realistic work a day appearance.
That too has a fully comensated spilt chassis and I really think that is the way forward.

SouthernFan Ian

Western Thunderer
The Marsh Class I3, shown here, was purchased secondhand in a part built condition with sprung horn blocks.
After I finished construction, the hornblocks prevented the loco hauling anything, it could barely pull itself along despite being heavily weighted. It was a fault in the hornblocks height within the frames and not the Gladiator kit.
After much deliberation and pschycing myself up to the task, I decided to convert the built and finished chassis to compensation and dispense with the sprung chassis. It has taken weeks to achieve this with only half and hour or so available at any one time.
The result is it can now haul a respectable train, two of which are Westdale Southern mail vans which are quite heavy and a Slater’s bogie van.
Sometimes, our modelling tasks seems to take ages but it’s worth the end result. Another useful loco and one I am really pleased with.
The ‘Mail Train’ is far too big to run on Stroudley Park, where the normal train is a tank loco with a pull-push trailer. I’m looking forward to running the ‘Mail’ on a garden railway sometime next year.

C9FEAC8B-CEB4-42F0-9B7B-3E379371B915.jpeg
I must finish installing the outside third too!
Regards,
Ian

SouthernFan Ian

Western Thunderer
At last, a milestone has been reached at Stroudley Park. Thanks to Warren Haywood superb painting skills, I now own several Brighton locos which really please me.
The milestone to which I refer not only includes properly painted and lined loco’s, but locos that run as they should. All but the Class I3 have split chassis and all are compensated.
The latest to arrive is the handsome Stroudley D1 which looks very comfortable in Maunsell lined green.

9D85712D-D440-4BF5-9FF2-DAD77CEE1E33.jpeg
Pure ‘Brighton’ at Stroudley Park
Here’s a picture of three of the four locos that will operate on the layout once I get organised and do some more railway modelling.

FD77AC9D-9078-4806-9D50-4707824C63A3.jpeg
Clean locos on parade
I’m not a clean loco person, I do like subtle weathering to bring out the details on my models, eventually these shiny new locos will gain a workaday patina.
Regards,
Ian

Last edited:

SouthernFan Ian

Western Thunderer
Just lately, I haven’t done much work on the layout and that’s why there’s been no new postings. I’m sitting in my work room with a well deserved malt and the natural lighting on Stroudley Park grabbed my attention.
Where my workbench is located, I’m just below layout level when I turn my chair round.
This view caught my attention, which may spur me on to making more progress.
12B08FEB-CFE1-43CA-A601-AFF7125C82A8.jpeg
A long time in the making is this Dapol, ex SR open wagon which still remains a work in progress, just like everything else on Stroudley Park.
9FBF5EBB-41F4-4810-9A28-46480E842D39.jpeg
A visit to my airbrush for some judicious weathering is a must to inject some character.
Regards,
Ian

Ace Kits - A Route to Scratchbuilding

SouthernFan Ian

Western Thunderer
Over time, I’ve heard many comments about Ace Locomotive Kits, many of them less than complimentary.
However, after purchasing an unbuilt Ace LBSC K Class from a friend. Some of the comments I’ve heard have proven to be fairly accurate but in my opinion, the kit, as it comes, is buildable but not to the standard enjoy. So, here’s my take on Ace Kits.
I agree they are not the highest standard but neither is the price. For me, the biggest bonus is this kit is leading me gently by the hand into scratch building.
Attached is a picture of my K Class so far. It will have split frames and compensation. The nickel silver sections (firebox and cab roof) are scratch built replacements and the cab beading is made from annealed .7mm brass rod all of which have proved highly satisfying to make. All in all, I’m enjoying this build, mainly for two reasons:
1) it will give me a useful loco to run on Stroudley Park.
2) I never imagined I would be scratch building components such as described above.
A picture of progress so far is shown below although it’s still very much a work in progress.
E0DC91C9-D86B-4F90-B25D-73A7D187AB59.jpeg
Regards,
Ian

John Duffy

Western Thunderer
You need to be careful as to which Ace Product kits you are referring, as not all come from the same source.

John

SouthernFan Ian

Western Thunderer
You need to be careful as to which Ace Product kits you are referring, as not all come from the same source.

John
Hello John,
I appreciate your point and I am aware the Ace range is a collection of kits from various manufacturers. I had no intention of making any derogatory comment and my post was based upon opinions I have read and heard over time. The main point of my post was really to highlight my positive experience of building the K Class so far and illustrate the fact that because the kit is what it is, I have now gained confidence with scratch building and that for me is a plus point.
It is my belief the as we are all model makers, we can built anything regardless of a kit’s pedigree.
I am pleased with the K Class so far and fully accept any shortcomings the kit may have.

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
Ian,

I honed my scratchbuilding skills many years ago building Jidenco kits in 4mm. They were very similar to modern day Ace but all from the pen of the same designer. There were a lot of interesting subjects some which built straight from the box and others which just couldn’t be built without drastic modifications or new parts. I learned not to expect perfection but rather treat the contents of the box as a scratchbuild but with some of the cutting out done. The primary requirements for success being a good drawing and determination to build a decent model.

Ace kits are a very mixed bag of variable quality but relatively cheap to buy. Their reputation puts a lot of folk off but the price and the range of prototypes attracts quite a lot of newcomers to kit building. Unfortunately a lot of builders run into problems and are put off kit building for life.

You are doing the right thing building your model of a K class. The fact that you are using some of the parts from an Ace kit is neither here nor there. I’m sure it will turn out well and be a good representation of a ‘K’.

Just remember that when your finished model is on display and anyone asks, is it a kit? You can honestly say that it was scratch built using components from various sources.

Ian

SouthernFan Ian

Western Thunderer
Ian,

I honed my scratchbuilding skills many years ago building Jidenco kits in 4mm. They were very similar to modern day Ace but all from the pen of the same designer. There were a lot of interesting subjects some which built straight from the box and others which just couldn’t be built without drastic modifications or new parts. I learned not to expect perfection but rather treat the contents of the box as a scratchbuild but with some of the cutting out done. The primary requirements for success being a good drawing and determination to build a decent model.

Ace kits are a very mixed bag of variable quality but relatively cheap to buy. Their reputation puts a lot of folk off but the price and the range of prototypes attracts quite a lot of newcomers to kit building. Unfortunately a lot of builders run into problems and are put off kit building for life.

You are doing the right thing building your model of a K class. The fact that you are using some of the parts from an Ace kit is neither here nor there. I’m sure it will turn out well and be a good representation of a ‘K’.

Just remember that when your finished model is on display and anyone asks, is it a kit? You can honestly say that it was scratch built using components from various sources.

Ian
Thank you for your input Ian, I totally agree with you.
Regards,
Ian

simond

Western Thunderer
the price and the range of prototypes attracts quite a lot of newcomers to kit building. Unfortunately a lot of builders run into problems and are put off kit building for life.

and I think this is a problem.

If you know you’re getting something a bit flakey, and you’re confident you can make something of it, that’s fine, but kits that are not buildable (from any maker) could put a first-time would-be builder back years, and that’s just not fair.

then again, shelling out for a top-end kit when you don’t have much experience is a bit scary - but if it is top end, it just goes together.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Thank you for your kind comments. I'm a bit involved in other projects at the moment but I'm interested to know how you formed the firebox. My kit had no formers which I had to make myself. Then there's the slide bars and crosshead. Were you able to use those from the kit? I was really lucky there as Simon T of this parish etched me a set using the drawings and photos I had to hand.

I'll be watching with interest....:) I wish you every success. With some considerable scratch building and after market parts this indeed makes up in to a decent model but it's not a kit for a first time builder, I suggest.

Brian

SouthernFan Ian

Western Thunderer
I'm interested to know how you formed the firebox.
Hello Brian,
Because I found the Ace firebox wrapper challenging to say the least and was dissatisfied with my efforts. Using the Ace etch as a master, I created a new wrapper using annealed nickel silver sheet. Formers for the wrapper were made from heavy duty brass sheet from a clock case and bolted together so there was no movement in a similar style to David Andrew’s method.
The wrapper was carefully formed around the former until I was satisfied. The dimensions of the formers was determined from a photocopy of a scale drawing sized to 7mm scale.
7153C7C9-98A3-4F6B-B110-6ACE9B13133A.jpeg
Regards,
Ian

SouthernFan Ian

Western Thunderer
Then there's the slide bars and crosshead. Were you able to use those from the kit?
Big of a mixed bag for slide bars and cross heads, Brian. Originally I thought I could use Laurie Griffin’s H2 slide bars and cross heads but the slide bars were too short, so I ended up using just the cross heads. The slide bars were fabricated from kit components and scrap etch from the kit. The cylinder covers were scratch built as I didn’t like the Ace versions in the kit. A good friend with a lathe turned up some brass spacers for me as I felt the cylinders didn’t look quite right.

351CC1F7-2E73-4D28-8E46-D4F7CC44BC49.jpeg
Here’s a close up of the cylinders and slide bars as described above. There’s a way to go yet but the fundamental issues are enjoyment and satisfaction and so far, that has been true.
Regards,
Ian