TFW’s workshop

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
I fully agree regarding pollution and mosses, Dave, but there is always that background natural growth of algae and other species that will out, even in the harshest environments. The effect on the buildings is quite noticeable, they look like representative models before the treatment, afterwards they look part of a scene. The dark green is actually pretty subtle, almost like an ‘invisible green’ and I doubt that anyone would notice unless it was pointed out.

I agree about the algae growth and other species.

You'll have to prepare a 'spot the difference' piece to see if anyone notices. As you say, it's amazing what a sublte wash of green does and it's one of those washes which appears when seen in a certain light or from a certain angle. Green is one of the permanent colours on my weathering palette.

Grahame Hedges

Western Thunderer
When will LB be ready to show - not necessarily to the wider public?

Tim

Unfortunately things haven't gone to plan over recent years and have significantly delayed things. I was hoping to have one of those garden office buildings erected in the garden to house the layout but the pandemic has rather put the kibosh on it for the last year.

The year before I was considering moving and had my house on the market which rather prevented any development and having got several offers changed my mind. And the year before I was diagnosed with cancer which meant I was in and out of hospital.

Consequently the last three years have effectively been written off and I need to crack on this year assuming the pandemic allows and there's no further delays beyond my control.

Phil O

Western Thunderer
It will be great to see all the updates and changes to the layout at an exhibition once we're allowed out to play again.

Something a bit different

Tim Watson

Western Thunderer
Interesting how things develop. On another part of the forum I noticed that Mike Trice had made a 3D print of the LNER Coronation beaver-tail observation car. I cheekily asked if it could be produced in 2mm scale. A little while later this package arrived.

Mike has made a superb job of the design and although some parts of the components are quite fragile I think it ‘is a goer’ as a basis for a 2mm model. The window vents are very delicate, but will sustain support from the glazing. The finish is outstanding. An added bonus is the interior.

What is so topical is that the prototype, no. 1729, has just been unveiled after a lengthy restoration and features in an excellent article in the current issue of Steam Railway.

There is now the minor issue of how to re-create the stainless steel trim on the beaver tail, but I have some ideas for that. The rest of the train will also now be needed: at least we have the Lonestar A4 to go on the front end!

Tim

garethashenden

Western Thunderer

There is now the minor issue of how to re-create the stainless steel trim on the beaver tail, but I have some ideas for that. The rest of the train will also now be needed: at least we have the Lonestar A4 to go on the front end!

Tim

I believe that Alclad II is ideal for this situation. I haven't used it myself, but it repeatedly is what gets recommended when a shiny metal finish is required. Alclad2.com

DavidB

Western Thunderer
What's the origin of the model, Tim? I have three 4mm Bullnose varieties from Springside but they don't have 2mm stuff on their site.

DavidB

Western Thunderer
Thank you. It looks nice in close up; should be brilliant at normal viewing distance!

If you want more of them, I wouldn't hang about as the business is up for sale, the owner retiring either this year or next.

Tim Watson

Western Thunderer
The Copenhagen Fields team is hosting the next online Model Railway Club Zoom Night this Thursday. Please register here:
MRC Zoom Club Meeting - The Model Railway Club
We will be showing the latest York Road tube station developments underground and new work on the KX potato warehouses and Goods Yard. Simon Humphries will be talking about the restoration of the original 2mm fine scale exhibition layout, ‘Rydes Vale’, along with other 2mm scale projects from group members.

Tim

Tim Watson

Western Thunderer
Quite a day for pondering how to make the cart road rooves. Some sort of jig would be needed for assembly to support the ‘I’ beams and position them in the wall sockets. The tapered and jiggled front doesn’t help either.

It will all be jolly close to the retaining wall, but that is how it was. I think I have worked out how it will all be assembled.

Tim

Tim Watson

Western Thunderer
A super little package arrived this morning from Tom Everitt.

These columns are really very fine indeed and one can be seen supporting the beam at the north end of the canopy with the construction jig nearby.

They will very likely be converted into a very strong metal alloy. Meanwhile, the roof beam jig has been further refined and will be very useful for setting out and assembling the structure. The front face is currently simply resting on the beams so is a bit wonky.

The first roof gutter can be seen in grey Plastruct. I am awaiting suitable solvent to make these integral with the roof beams at each end and then I can make a start on the glazing. The half sectioned end of the roof, which is at the very limit of the scene, will be supported by a stout piece of Perspex which will also provide a window into the cart road -a similar concept to the clear covers on the tube station building.

Tim

Tim Watson

Western Thunderer
The Potato Market cart road canopies have been making steady progress. The assembly jig has been invaluable. The gutters and beams are supported by the jig to allow the glazing to be made and fitted.

The glazing has been made from a polyester sheet, with partial slate coverage on the York Road side.

There is currently no means of front support other than a piece of styrene propping up the construction at the front. Pip isn’t fussed either way...

The main colours have been blocked in, but there is no weathering as yet. A recent addition is the pavement that was along the frontage.

The view under the canopy roof will be available to the operator, but scarcely the public. In this view, the precarious support for the structure can be seen as the beams are not correctly fitted onto their pads and sockets in the walls. It will, of course, have Tom Everitt’s excellent columns supporting the roof, but they have yet to be cast in metal. At the very end, there will be a substantial sheet of Perspex which will both support the roof and provide a window into this scene. The slightly foggy glass in the roof will obscure some of the detail from the public side, whilst the roof supporting iron work will be simplified, as it is very fine. A recent colour image has shown that the lintels were not in a red brick, so those will need to be changed.

Just for good measure, here is the prototype again.

The name boards are in hand. I wonder who will be on them?

Tim