LarryG

Western Thunderer
I've been following your trials and tribulation with a Zen decoder and checked to see if I had posted "Zen and bargepole", but I hadn't. Initially I too bought a Zen after being told they were very popular. I could do now't with it. Fortunately a pal told me to stick with Zimo and I never looked back. In fact I went into 'sound' afterwards.

Trouble is, I've been away from running trains for too long and have forgotten which CV's control easing away at a realistic pace and slowing down.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Hi Larry,

The Zen decoders have worked well in the Hornby 08s. Lovely control, start to finish. But everything else I've tried them in hasn't worked anywhere near as well.
The Bachmann Zimo 6 pin decoders have on the other hand been great and going forward, Zimo it is.

It's down the Zen decoders that I've not gone to DCC Concepts to buy my NCE Powercab. Though more expensive, their price included one of their Zen decoders of your choice.

I didn't particularly want another and went elsewhere for the NCE, minus decoder, paying less.

Rob.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Morning all.

The motor was left running for a further 3hrs in each direction yesterday afternoon/evening.

As expected, there was no change.

By chance I decided to check the Lendons website and they have both lengths of Heljan motor in stock at decent enough prices for each.

A quick exchange of texts with the owner and it was confirmed they should also be able to remove and replace the flywheels. ( I don't have a puller)

If time permits, I hope to pop in today or tomorrow.

Rob.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Well, there it was, gone. With Crimbo out of the way one can start to look forward to the new year.

Ordinarily, I would be back in work today but as 'work ' is no longer the case, for now at least, I can hopefully start to progress Ewe.

Following an inspired choice by Father Christmas, I now have my very own NCE Powercab thing. That means that the kit so very kindly loaned by Gilbert of the parish can be packed away ahead of its triumphant return to Gilbert Towers.

First off then will be a few tweaks to the wiring. Nothing ground breaking. A few additional power feeds and a couple of isolating fish plates to be inserted.

Once all is confirmed to be well with it all, I will add the backscene, 'roof', home fascia, lighting and install the NCE gubbins.

Most of this will then be removed to allow painting of track and ground cover, weathering of track ballasting of same and adding the base layer of static grass.

That will probably do for now and anything over and above that will be a bonus.

Rob.

GrahameH

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob,

Nice present to have, I hope you get mucho enjoyment from using it now it's in your capable hands.

Whilst I don't have much experience of the Zen stuff I still condone Zimo decoders. I know it's not the total answer when a loco doesn't perform as expected but stick with it. There is much to be learnt and you will sort out the wheat from the chaff, been there done that.

I wish you well mate.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Morning all.

I popped to the train shop yesterday and came away with a little loco bought on impulse and the seed for the next layout has been sown.

20211229_144454-02.jpeg

An Ex-LB&SCR D1 0.4.2T built from the South Eastern Finecast kit. The Maunsell olive green livery is very well done. It runs well but is quite noisy in reverse which will merit investigation at some point but no rush.

20211229_144514-01.jpeg

I'm really pleased with it and thoughts are turning to how it could be best employed. A 1930s light railwayesque terminus, all very windswept and wriggly tin springs to mind..........but with the first exhibition some four months away, I'd better finish the current project first !

Rob.

simond

Western Thunderer
My dad was in the wholesale food trade. I recall him talking about “Canterbury short-walked lamb”, apparently more tender because of its relaxed upbringing and the small distance to market.

in those days, Google did not exist, now it does, but it offers no insight.

Chilham is not bleak, but does have meadows…

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob,

Funnily enough, Dyke features in my research this morning and Deptford Wharf came up as well.
I've ordered a couple of books on the Sheppy Light Railway as well....

Must get the current layout finished before starting anything else........Must get the current layout finished.......