Prototype Tim Mills' Photos

daifly

Western Thunderer
Today, I found a drivers-side photo of Earl Baldwin for sale on eBay. Notice the curious aperture on the superheater lubricator cover in Tim's photo which I've cropped and reproduced here:
img898 TM Paddington 1963 Neg Strip G copyright Final cropped.jpg
This is also evident on 5063
IMG_1991.JPG
As is the squat chimney. Having looked at dozens of other Castles with the improved superheater boilers, I have not found a single example with this strange aperture. This is what all of the others look like.
5049 Earl of Plymouth at unknown loc copy.jpg
I hope that convinces any remaining doubters!
Dave

simond

Western Thunderer
Thanks Dave, I had noticed the “sticky-outy” bit, but not worked out what it was.

It does appear to be some kind of flap or cover for the aperture in the long casing.

The identification appears to be certain!

I wonder what it was for.

cheers
Simon

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
It is with much personal sadness I have to report that Tim died at home today at 3pm. I visited him a week ago today - he was very weak but I arranged to see him tomorrow. Sadly that is not to be.

You didn't know him personally - he was not in our cohort. His spirit throughout has been remarkable. He was advised at Christmas that he had until April to sort out his affairs. His last few months have been remarkable with incredible support from his wife, son and step daughter and their families.

Tim took great delight in all the messages of interest and thanks expressed on WT for his work. My only regret over which I had some control is that he never saw the results of all his pictures but he knew that the work will continue and there will be future displays of his images.

I knew Tim for over 50 years. His legacy to us all as enthusiasts is his photo archive. His legacy to the preservation movement is over 50 years of support and activity for the GCR at Loughborough. As a reminder of his contributions here this is my personal favourite of everything I've seen from him to date. You will have seen this image previously but it's more than well worth another exposure.

img707 TM Willesden 1964 copyright Final.jpg

When I've completed my work on this collection Tim has asked that his Irish photos be passed on to the RPSI archive which I will do when the scanning and processing is complete. His son is now receiving all the scans and comments.

RIP, Tim.

Brian

adrian

Flying Squad
It is with much personal sadness I have to report that Tim died at home today at 3pm. I visited him a week ago today - he was very weak but I arranged to see him tomorrow. Sadly that is not to be.

You didn't know him personally - he was not in our cohort.
I'm so sorry to hear that news and my sincere condolences to his family for their loss. As you say we didn't know him personally but I'm thankful for the photos published on here.

They provided much interest, stimulated plenty of conversations and I hope in some small way it helped him over the last few months. Purely based on the photos published he appears to have been well travelled filled with plenty of experiences which I never had the privilege of seeing. I have throughly enjoyed the photos published and I hope there is some small consolation for the family in the appreciation by us of the memories he has left us with.

Regards

Adrian

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I felt I knew a part of Tim because those who spent a good part of their life shooting everyday BR went through the same thought processes. He photographed BR in the days when very few people did. Such images are a treasure among millions of rolls of film shot during the mid to late 1960's end-of-steam era. He also shot from all angles and this thread has been deservedly popular.

R.I.P Tim.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Apologies for the break in these posts. We held Tim's funeral yesterday. Not surprisingly it was attended by a large number of people including many from the GCR who were so smart in their Company uniforms and the MD of the company. In typical fashion, as Tim was an early environmentalist even before the term had been invented he'd asked to be buried at a natural burial ground and wild life reserve within walking distance of his home. It was a rather beautiful, moving and happy occasion as a celebration of his remarkable although unremarked life. The wake was held at the Great Central Railway to which Tim had devoted so much time and enthusiasm and his photos of family, Arsenal FC and railway were all around the marquee, including his final photo display which he knew he'd never see himself.

I'm not publishing any more photos until I've had a chance to talk with his family about how we take the archive forward now that Tim is no longer with us. After all we want to ensure that they are comfortable with the decisions Tim made. I obviously hope they'll be happy to continue with their release to me but will not prejudge the situation, and I'll not be meeting with them to discuss this matter until they've had a bit of time to themselves. However, Tim's widow said to me yesterday that she'd found "another drawer full" of negatives and I know his family will at least want these scanned.

I shared the kind comments from WT with the family as an example of how Tim's life had affected so many people who had never even met him. Their reaction was lovely. Delighted and grateful but not surprised.

Brian

Edit: I failed to mention here that I will be organising a retrospective of Tim's work to be held at Loughborough Central Station, hopefully at the January gala. It will concentrate on his railway photographs but will include some examples of his architectural and traction engine photos.

Last edited:

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Resurrection! Of the thread at least.

I visited Tim's family yesterday and part of the day, over lunch, was to decide what they would like to do with the photo collection. They are, quite rightly, jealous that the copyright is preserved. They understand Tim's wish that his photos be used and not left in a drawer, and one of the decisions is that their use on Western Thunder should continue. We will also be publishing a book with very limited copies, in the region of half a dozen or so, but it will be based on "The Best of the Best" and printed A3 format. Inevitably it will attract a considerable premium when sold. If, by chance, it is not successful there will be a copy for each of the family.

We will be creating a display - in fact several - of Tim's photos for galas at the GCR. Unfortunately, due to other pressures and the difficulty of discussing with the family what to show, I didn't get anything done for the January Gala but we can now pace ourselves, and I've made it the families' task to select the photos they think best represent Tim's work. This became quite animated with side discussions about how to theme such a display so I'm very hopeful that we'll have some decisions when I see them next. In view of the work involved in making this worthy of the images it may even not happen this year. Although scanned I still have over 1500 images still to process, many in less than wonderful condition and there are many more negatives still at the family home which I've not even started work on.

In short Tim's family are trusting of my proposals and in return I have promised to let them know of any requests or suggestions which fall outside the boundaries we discussed.

More photos will appear soon and thanks from Tim's family and from me, personally, for all the kindness shown by people who didn't know Tim except through his images. It has been a significant comfort.

Brian

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Thank you for showing your appreciation with so many "Likes" to my last post.

This first of the continuing thread is not the best but is a typical shot of an unidentified 84XX 0-6-0PT in the environs of Old Oak on the ramp to the flyover with empty stock in April 1963.

img905 TM Old Oak Lineside April 1963 copyright Final.jpg

Still in Old Oak in April 1963 with a freight from the Southern Region to Midland Region (Willesden) Goods approaching Mitre Bridge to Cross the Great Western Main Line. Loco is an N or U 2-6-0 - I hope someone will be able to confirm which.

img906 TM Old Oak Lineside April 1963 Freight from SR to LMR (Willesden) Goods Approaching Mit...jpg

This is clearly easy to identify as 5092, Tresco Abbey, at Old Oak Common in 1963. It's a shame about the fog bar but there's sufficient detail here to provide considerable interest. It was withdrawn from Cardiff East Dock in July 1963 so this photo must have been in the first half of the year. It met its Armageddon at Coopers Metals, Sharpness, in October 1964.

img907 TM Old Oak Loco 1963 copyright Final.jpg

Brian

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Still in Old Oak in April 1963 with a freight from the Southern Region to Midland Region (Willesden) Goods approaching Mitre Bridge to Cross the Great Western Main Line. Loco is an N or U 2-6-0 - I hope someone will be able to confirm which.

img906 TM Old Oak Lineside April 1963 Freight from SR to LMR (Willesden) Goods Approaching Mit...jpg

The loco is an N.

This is looking down Scrubs Lane and the photo was taken here - also significant is the lack of road traffic. A nice period photo and the billboard (circled in the middle of the map) is adverting Super National Petrol (National Benzole).

Scrubs Lane.jpg

Simon

Flying Squad
Such a privilege to see these wonderful and evocative images from the past, thank you for allowing us to see them.

I am coincidentally scanning old negatives at the moment, based upon the material that I was left by the late David Hyde. In part I am motivated by work on two new WS books, a new edition of the Slinn Siphons book, and a new book on milk traffic.

In the course of which I have become increasingly interested in Old Oak Common and the web of lines that connected to the Willesden to Clapham axis, together with associated milk traffic. Not worth a thread on their own, but I hope you don't mind if I drop this Wally Beard shot in here. August 1964 at Kensington Olympia, some likely looking lads by what is just a van train I guess as this pre dates Motorail operations. But then what was the big shed at left for if not Motorail? Plus Pannier on milk tanks.

A different time....

275286029_7178295778878046_6348635974469462966_n.jpg

Simon

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Thank you for the specific information, Dave. I recognise the location but couldn't easily have placed it on a map.

Simon - that shed still exists and is a car park. In fact the loading ramp for the Motorail operation was across the tracks but that doesn't mean that the shed was not used for cars to park prior to loading. Whether cars were ever loaded from the platform in the foreground is quite unlikely, I reckon - I certainly never saw it.

Kensington Olympia was a fascinating location where trains from every region could be seen, certainly in the early to mid 1960s.

Brian

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Thanks for that, Dave.

Three more for today. First is 5093, Upton Castle, at home in Old Oak Yard in 1963 and carrying an easily read 81A shed plate. The precise date is not known. It demonstrates why we should never worry too much about bent hand rails! Upton Castle was at Old Oak from January 1961 until withdrawal at the end of September 1963. It went to Swindon where it was dispatched the following month.

img908 TM TM Old Oak Loco 1963 copyright Final.jpg

Back at the lineside at Old Oak 5093 Upton Castle makes its way to the shed with an unidentified 57XX on empty stock. Creeping in to the picture a loco which would have been an unwanted intruder for Tim is Warship D809, Champion, which in 1963 was a Laira loco. It was withdrawn from Newton Abbot in October 1971 and was scrapped at Swindon in October 1972.

img909 TM Old Oak Lineside 1963 copyright Final.jpg

Finally for today a classic shot of Castle 7000, Viscount Portal, again lineside at Old Oak in 1963. It was at Gloucester Horton Road early in 1963, migrating to Worcester in March from where it was withdrawn at the end of December the same year but in this photo it's devoid of a shed plate which would have been useful to refine the date. It was scrapped in June 1964 at Cashmore's Great Bridge.

img911 TM Old Oak Lineside 1963 copyright Final.jpg

Brian

AJC

Western Thunderer
Thank you for sharing these, Brian - I especially like the shot of Upton Castle at Old Oak Common. The juxtaposition of the best of the GWR (who couldn’t like a Castle?) and that new office building is very striking - and a useful modelling lesson: some things are always new, what we do should reflect that.

Adam