Western Thunder 9 years after Cynric

Neil

Western Thunderer
Dear Mick,
To re-iterate what other far more knowledgeable & highly skilled modellers have said I don’t normally reply to your model building posts because I don’t have the skills or knowledge to come anywhere near yours so I just constantly wonder, learn & like. ....

That pretty much sums up my take on commenting. I'm not in the same league as some of the stuff here, sometimes I'm not even sure that I'm playing the same game. I try to avoid the 'nice job' and 'me too' platitudes and only join in when I have something worthwhile to say. This doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the stuff I don't have the skills, knowledge and equipment for, because I do, it just that I wouldn't want to have to wade through a lot of 'well dones' to get to the real interesting bits, so I try to play my part and not clutter the threads up.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
I recognise that your comments are not aimed at any individual, cb. My point is precisely that we do not put people or subjects in to boxes. You take the hobby in any direction you choose and describe it to us. We then all have the opportunity to learn from what you bring to the party.

Having read through the postings today we have a plethora of material from layouts utilising rtr to photos of rtr to scratch builds to kits builds. There is no doubt this is a broad church and I'm confident it will remain so.

I empathise with the shortage of time scenario. You'll have noticed (or perhaps not:))) that my Royal Scot build has stalled for just this reason but I hope to get back to it in the new year.

Publish and be damned!!

Brian

Simon

Flying Squad
I’m hugely grateful for all the hints and tips and guidance and expertise offered on WT. However, this thread (and Mick’s comment in particular) has made me realise that I’m just taking and not giving in return (however little I may have to give, in comparison to the regular posters). I am learning so much from you all and one day I even hope to learn how to use Mick’s invisible solder. So by way of a Thank You to everyone who shares their skills so freely here, and to let you know (despite my lack of comments to date on your threads) that you are all inspiring me, here are my 16mm FR Earl of Merioneth and a couple of carriages built using tips and ideas from across WT. You are amazing - thanks for the inspiration. And I will make sure I do more in future than just click ‘Like’.

David

View attachment 153493

View attachment 153495

Fantastic models.

If nothing else then, this thread has uncovered two absolute gems.

Actually, the "On my workbench" thread (and its descendants) was expressly set up (in 2014) for this sort of thing, ie somewhere where a member who doesn't have the time or some other reason to create a workbench thread can drop in their own projects. In practice it didn't quite work out as members who already had their own workbenches pretty much flooded it with their stuff.

Perhaps we should start another thread with a more explicit title to help uncover hidden gems and encourage participation of more folk?

Simon

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
In practice it didn't quite work out as members who already had their own workbenches pretty much flooded it with their stuff.

To be fair, I post stuff there that has nothing to do with my usual workbench threads. I suspect a rather dim view would be taken if I posted endless threads on obscure French warplanes, even in Area 51! :))

mickoo

Western Thunderer
That pretty much sums up my take on commenting. I'm not in the same league as some of the stuff here, sometimes I'm not even sure that I'm playing the same game. I try to avoid the 'nice job' and 'me too' platitudes and only join in when I have something worthwhile to say. This doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the stuff I don't have the skills, knowledge and equipment for, because I do, it just that I wouldn't want to have to wade through a lot of 'well dones' to get to the real interesting bits, so I try to play my part and not clutter the threads up.
I'd disagree as some of your work is certainly left field and thoroughly thought provoking, as is your comment about wading through well done posts to get to the interesting bits.

That's a fair (and for me a conflicting) point to be honest, when I browse I tend to 'look' for the interesting bits too and skim the replies, when I post and no one replies I feel I'm wasting my time.

I've tried to say it above and probably not that clearly, I'm not a fan of the well done's and rah rah razzmatazz, that's what the like button is for.

What I suppose I was hoping for is the interaction into how something was done, pitfalls, workarounds and solutions to problems, but, that falls neatly into Simons challenge about commercial builds, if you do so many, you eventually answer most of the potential questions long before they've even been asked.

In a sense the replies then tend to become the chaff, no matter how good the wheat is; if I'm not mistake that I think is where Simon is coming from in easing WT along.

The chaff is beginning to dilute the wheat, I'd debate you need some chaff, as to remove it all would raise the risk of the wheat rotting or worse yet, weeds taking over.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Can I just say that I “like” WT a lot, whatever I may read on almost every subject. We never stop learning and we should never stop sharing if our society is to flourish.

WT is refreshingly devoid of politics and long may it continue. Elsewhere on the internet I am fighting the politics of the day as a disillusioned scientist and it is always a delight to click on the “latest posts” page and scan down through so many interesting threads.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Mickoo's thread is one I follow, but the reason I rarely ask questions is because there is no point in getting into a conversation involving lathes and suchlike when I know not the first thing about them. My enjoyment comes from looking at fine workmanship and seeing models develop. Mickoo's loco building thread is not the only one of it's kind on WT of course, but I use it as an example.

When it comes to performing tasks that most of us do, I can get involved and ask questions if I don't understand. It wasn't that easy before the advent of model railway forums.

Last edited:

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
What I suppose I was hoping for is the interaction into how something was done, pitfalls, workarounds and solutions to problems.

I always look forward to your posts Mick and cannot believe the speed at which you work, without any compromise in quality. I wonder though, is there a danger of being asked “How did you do that?”, so many times, that it might make you reluctant to post anything else? I hope not, especially if you actually look forward to that kind of interaction.

On that basis then (but without wishing to eat into too much of your time), I would love to know more about how you draw-up/3D print suitable replacements, for the duff castings that still plague some of the kits we buy. I have a 3D printer of my own and am currently trying to teach myself Fusion 360. I’ve had some successes and some failures, but knowing how you go about designing a new chimney, dome, cylinder block, ashpan or whatever, would be both fascinating and educational for me.

YouTube videos have their uses, but I’d prefer to know how to apply the various drawing techniques to railway subjects, rather than rubber stamps or spectacle cases!

Regards

Dan

Last edited:

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
... I would love to know more about how you draw-up/3D print suitable replacements, for the duff castings that still plague some of the kits we buy. I have a 3D printer of my own and am currently trying to teach myself Fusion 360. I’ve have had some successes and some failures, but knowing how you go about designing a new chimney, dome, cylinder block, ashpan or whatever, would be both fascinating and educational for me.
Thank you Dan (@Dan Randall) for you have asked what I have pondered. Mick (@mickoo) , please consider a short summary of how you approach the task of drawing prototype components as I want to move away from designing in a 2D world.

regards, Graham

Last edited:

Neil

Western Thunderer
.... when I post and no one replies I feel I'm wasting my time. ....

I get that, sometimes I feel that way too. I wonder if it's just the way things are at the moment. When I look back through stuff I've posted here and on RMweb the tone seems to be chattier, there's more to and fro. Do we use social media differently, are there more of us participating, is it harder to maintain a club like atmosphere?

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
On a purely selfish level, I will admit that some of my posts are simply a record of what I am doing, for my own reference and (failing) memory. For those posts I really don’t expect a comment or a like, but if there is some reaction then perhaps I wasn’t being so selfish after all!

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
As I said at the beginning, and as others have observed, one thing you can absolutely not fault WT for is its civility and "considered" atmosphere, which is a tribute to all members and contributors past and present.

And I think a lot of valuable friendships and connections also become established through places such as WT, which is another very positive aspect of the place.

Exactly, just so, where WT started...

Simon, what you have written above is just what Cynric set out to achieve; that the growing membership of WT adheres to Cynric's vision suggests, to me, that the WT ethos, its recipe and diverse directions is on target and develops just fine.

regards, Graham

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
For what it's worth I tend to see a RTR model as a starting point for a project, rather than the finished product.

Whenever a new 7mm RTR engine is announced I am immediately thinking about what I can convert it to. For example there's a spectacularly ugly looking Manning Wardle/Sentinel hybrid I've seen pictured somewhere and I could use the Minerva model as a basis.

However, I guess not everyone wants to carve up several hundred pounds worth of model and will instead do some re-numbering and/or weathering. Or stick a different chimney on.

Mike

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Also, we all have different skills, I for example wouldn't be posting up any of my soldering within a hundred miles of Mick's superb "solder less" soldering!

Simon
You're too kind :bowdown:

If I showed y'all the inside where all the 'real' work goes on then that magical Disney moment would be lost :p much like the day you realised Santa wasn't real :))

Conversely I wouldn't be garden railway....ing at this time of year, outside is where nature lives and we don't get on when it's wet and dark, had enough of that in my previous employ which is still daisy fresh in my mind.

MD

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Brian - if you have any Barry views of 28XX (especially 2861) and of any wagons too, I for one would be delighted to see them!

View attachment 153563

How about these two? Both at Barry.

This is on 9th November 1968.

2861.  Barry Scrapyard.  9 Nov 1968.  FINAL.  Photo by Brian Dale.jpg

and this is 18th November 1967.

2861.  Barry.  18 November 1967.  Photo by Brian Dale.  FINAL.jpg

There are more of both 28XX and 2884 classes but these are the only two of 2861.

Sorry to say I never took any photos of the wagons.

Brian

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Lovely - thank you Brian.
If there is enough interest in Barry views from others and you are willing to put up a selection it could be a half-decent Christmas after all!

michael mott

Western Thunderer
For what it's worth I tend to see a RTR model as a starting point for a project, rather than the finished product.
I completely agree, As you may or may not recall my air loco began life as RTR Aristocraft 0-4-0 switcher.
I really enjoyed reading through this thread this evening, lots of thoughtful comments, and an interesting discussion.... I'll just leave my 00 Mallard and 2mm Mallard and 00 Flying Scotsman and a few Great Western locos in their boxes for now then.

An wishing all a very merry Christmas and better new year.

Michael

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Morning all,

I'll start the day by posing a question then.

These photos all feature ready to run locos and stock, complete with manufactuers couplings, running on PECO 00 track, ready to plant resin buildings plonked on an IKEA shelf.

Anyone can walk into their local train set emporium and buy all of this from the respective Hornby, Bachmann or PECO sections and put it together.

There are no kits and aside from a loading gauge, some signage and a lamp or two, nothing is scratch built, though the crane uses bits from the scrap bin.

20210714_213654-06.jpeg

20210513_191458-01-01-01.jpeg

20210502_131740-01.jpeg

Screenshot_20210712-214743_Samsung Internet-01.jpeg

20210524_203313-01.jpeg

20210513_162511-01.jpeg

20210328_194926-01.jpeg

So does this type of modelling fit in with the ethos of WT ?

Rob

Last edited: