1/32 Workbench

28ten

Guv'nor
A few bits are starting to roll in  :) first up is a set of wheels for the D63. Comparison shots are with some Slaters wagon wheels.

Attachments

• IMG_3620.JPG
    758.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3621.JPG
    610.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3622.JPG
    557.9 KB · Views: 19

Mr Tiger Viking

Western Thunderer
Hello 28Ten
Good to see you have the 1/32nd bug, I look forward to seeing your progess in this scale, as you know Worcester road is only down the road if you want to come and run your D6300`er, mind you those spoked wheels would look good under a D6100`er aswell !!  ;) ;)

Happy New Year
Mr TV

28ten

Guv'nor
Dan Randall said:
I say - those wheels are a bit tasty!  :thumbs: :drool:

When is the workbench thread for the loco kicking off Cynric?

Regards

Dan
When the kit arrives!! :))  seriously, I must finish D1011 and the catfish first.
I have just seen a couple of bsyp shots of a 63 and I quite fancy that  :scratch: I can see me ending up with a pair of them  :))
Mr TV, thank you,  I am kinda hoping than one day I might see a Warship at Ashburton  :wave:

rosspeacock

Modelling on a £1200 table.
Hi Cynric  :wave: :wave: Must admit the wheels look pretty tasty  :thumbs: The 1:32 D63XX kit looks the biz too, your going bigger and I'm tempted to go smaller, having seen the new offerings in "N" namely the BR Mk1's. from Grafar................ good luck in your new venture  :thumbs: :thumbs: Ross.... :wave:

28ten

Guv'nor
Fred says the kit should be ready by the 20th of this month, so I can sort the motor gearbox out at the Bristol show. The other side effect is the resumption of work on D1011  :))

28ten

Guv'nor
Not that I aware of, but given the imminent 4mm model there will probably be something. And yes I will chip the d63xx ant the 03 plenty of space for a proper speaker!

S

Simon Dunkley

Dan Randall said:
Cynric - Is there a suitable sound chip for the D63XX and if so, will you be fitting one?
Yes, there is.

SWD can do it for you: they put one together for me some years ago: basically the appropriate German loco for the prime mover, and then British souds for the rest - but a proper Desilux horn.

Should be the standard price they charge.

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Havent you got a video file with it on I must say I like all of the talk but cant see much in the way of action :))

Ian

S

Simon Dunkley

Firstly, I don't have the means to record it, and secondly it is no longer in my possession.

It was fairly high-rev ving, compared to a DE, but then it shoudl be. Problem is, I don't know what the real ones sounded like.

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
I assume the power plant was a NBL-built licensed production of something German; the question is 'what ?'.  I'd be interested to find out and have a hunt for a suitable recording...

Steph

S

Simon Dunkley

It doesn't take long to find out via Google...

Basically, the first few (pilot scheme) had a single prime mover of the same type as the D600 Warships (which had two), i.e. NBL/MANL12V18/21BS.
For the production series, D6306-D6357, the engine was uprated from 1,000 bhp to 1,100 BHP, the idea being that two of the "Baby Warships" would be equivalent in power to a D800 series Warship -given the 75mph maximum for a D6300, this would be rather pointless on express passenger trains. (Traction and braking performance would, in theory, have been slightly superior due to more wheels on the rails.) The NBL Warships had two of these prime movers, so if you can get a recording of one of these locos running on a single engine, you are done and dusted! (The preserved Warships are Swindon, are they not?)

(That bit didn't take long. The following took some tracking down - it is 30 years since I studied German!)
Some of the German V100.10 (class 211) locos had MAN engibnes of this type: not sure which or indeed how many, but basically the SWD DCC sound module is the V100 with Desilux horn and assorted other British sounds. This means it could be a Maybach recording instead.

Simon

Flying Squad
Whatever it was it sounded very good to me at Shepshed in 2008 :eek:

I intend to put sound in mine too.

Did SWD ever give your purchase a reference number for people that followed? I guess with Dapol's model it will move up everydody's priority list soundwise anyway.

(that is if the model ever makes the journey from CAD file and fevered forum discussions to reality)

28ten

Guv'nor
The Slaters PO made it onto the bench last night, and I spent an hour or so cleaning up the axle guard etch  :headbang: I can see that I will need to turn up some new brass hornblocks as the plastic ones are too small and don't strike me as terribly durable.