michael mott

Western Thunderer
I second that, re the cost of wheels etc. the wheels for my card loco were a small fortune for me. But I have enough card and styrene and wood to last me till the end of my days. Glues and coloured markers and paint are my expenses these days.

Chris I love the way you built the walls for the stone building, that had not occurred to me to build it basically the same way as a full size adding each stone.

Michael

magmouse

It's MEK Nick, in this case from Hobby Holidays. The only make I don't use now is Slater's own. It used to be great but they changed the formulation about 5 years ago and it now smells rank and doesn't seem to stick as well as some. (To be fair I've not bought any Slater's MekPak for a while and that might not be the case anymore).

Thanks, Chris. I've been using the Slater's stuff, and agree it doesn't behave very well. I'll try the Hobby Holidays stuff.

Nick.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
I second that, re the cost of wheels etc. the wheels for my card loco were a small fortune for me. But I have enough card and styrene and wood to last me till the end of my days. Glues and coloured markers and paint are my expenses these days.

Chris I love the way you built the walls for the stone building, that had not occurred to me to build it basically the same way as a full size adding each stone.

Michael

Thanks Michael

The posh facing stonework on the station is nothing like any of the embossed plastic sheets available. So I decided my options were:

1. Ignore this issue and use something that is made.
2. Scribe and carve from a flat sheet.
3. Make up the base from different size and thickness plastic and then tart around with that base.

I think option 3 will actually turn out to be quicker and less effort than 2. Oh, and I was never going to go for option 1 was I?...

2-Bil

Western Thunderer
Re the 2 chimney pots.....The station building photo appears to show the stonework broadening towards the furthest rainwater downpipe to presumably accommodate a stove or hearth in the flat roofed building abutting it...Can't think of another logical reason.....
Always a pleasure viewing your craftmanship
Respects Brian W

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Re the 2 chimney pots.....The station building photo appears to show the stonework broadening towards the furthest rainwater downpipe to presumably accommodate a stove or hearth in the flat roofed building abutting it...Can't think of another logical reason.....
Always a pleasure viewing your craftmanship
Respects Brian W

Hi Brian,

Just back in again and had a look through my info on the building.

The room with the twin pots is labelled on the drawing as being for "foot warmers", which iirc were used prior to steam heating being introduced to coaches. Perhaps the apparatus that heated up the foot warmers had two stoves, hence two chimneys?

I can't believe that foot warmers were still in use in the 1960s though, so no idea what the room would have been used for.

IMG_20231126_202012.jpg

The drawing end elevation matches the photos and has two pots.

IMG_20231126_201934.jpg

The photo below shows a sleeper leaning against the chimney breast and no lean-to wooden shack (which I guess disintegrated). The photo also nicely shows the stone coursing and finish on this building.

IMG_20231126_201944.jpg

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
I saw them at Earls Court too, Chris, same time I suspect - the "Pulse" recording. That was the year one of the the stands collapsed, was it not? It was the first concert I took my daughter to. I remember flying back from work in the USA to attend not even certain that the concert would go ahead. Or should I say the first concert she insisted I took her to. :D It was the start of many years of seeing bands live even up until now for the both of us.

Comfortably Numb live at full bore will soon clear the sinuses.

Hope the cold clears up really soon.

Brian

simond

Western Thunderer
The Pulse tour, I called MrsD, then MissC, who was living in Calais at the time, and suggested “Earls Court in the autumn in the rain, or Chateau de Chantilly in the summer sun?”

Fairly obvious conclusion...

and CD. Simply can’t be bothered with vinyl (and she sold it all years ago)

Gismorail

Western Thunderer
You just can’t beat a touch of Pink Floyd whilst modelling ….I think it’s the thinking outside of the envelope in the music that gives me inspiration to come up with ways around problems.
Going back a couple of pages I am impressed with your modelling of the goods sheds ……..they certainly are ‘buildings of character’
Thanks for sharing your modelling skills

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
I saw them at Earls Court too, Chris, same time I suspect - the "Pulse" recording. That was the year one of the the stands collapsed, was it not? It was the first concert I took my daughter to. I remember flying back from work in the USA to attend not even certain that the concert would go ahead. Or should I say the first concert she insisted I took her to. :D It was the start of many years of seeing bands live even up until now for the both of us.

Comfortably Numb live at full bore will soon clear the sinuses.

Hope the cold clears up really soon.

Brian

Hi Brian

Yes, sounds like we were at the same concert in Earls Court Oct 1994. Very hard to explain the unique experience if you weren't there... The best sound of any concert I've been to over the last 30yrs. A light show that only Muse have got close to (IMO). A crowd that was at times dumbstruck with the experience - just so happy to listen and soak in the spectacle. Starting off with Shine on You Crazy Diamond, and the penultimate track being Comfortably Numb were my absolute favourites, with a hugely memorable performance of Great Gig in the Sky. Watching the Pulse version of CN on YouTube still sends a shiver...

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Oh No! Mp3 Eeeuuuugh :eek:.

This is the correct media for listening to Pink Floyd....... :rolleyes: :) Alas, I never did acquire the vinyl version of the 1994 Pulse concert.

View attachment 202639

View attachment 202638

I do have DSotM on LP (wth original poster), CD (original and the anniversary remaster), and ripped in high res to my media server thingy. To be honest a stinking cold renders any sound quality differences inaudible and the convenience of using the streaming version won...

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Back in the days of set top boxes I recorded that Warsaw concert with the full symphony orchestra that Channel 4 broadcast. Comfortably Numb was the final number and it finished with everyone else dropping away and just Rick's chord. The lights went out as he finished. Something like a week later the cancer got him.
When I tried to download the concert off the the box it wouldn't do as advertised. I never did get to save it before the blasted box died.
I've got most of their stuff on LP, CD, and download. An LP is not much use in the car. Might have to get some more Crimson for the journey to Guildford.

Phil O

Western Thunderer
I got to see the Floyd twice at Earl's Earl's Court, first time was the Wall, the second was Pulse, we went the night after the stand collapsed, it was the one next to ours. Both were great nights. Just have to settle for the Aussie version now.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
The Pulse tour, I called MrsD, then MissC, who was living in Calais at the time, and suggested “Earls Court in the autumn in the rain, or Chateau de Chantilly in the summer sun?”

Fairly obvious conclusion...

and CD. Simply can’t be bothered with vinyl (and she sold it all years ago)

Obviously you went for Earl's Court then....?

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
I got to see the Floyd twice at Earl's Earl's Court, first time was the Wall, the second was Pulse, we went the night after the stand collapsed, it was the one next to ours. Both were great nights. Just have to settle for the Aussie version now.

I remember the stand collapse being on the news days before we were due to go. Amazing that it was all sorted out and the concerts continued. Can't help but think the concerts would have been cancelled these days and a full h&s review and inquiry held.