4mm & 7mm Llanfair ....

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Still waiting for a new signal box kit, so I took advantage of the sun and plotted a few buildings between the loosely laid tracks. Even if the station building was pushed hard against the backscene, there would still be insufficient room for the goods shed at the front of the layout.

Seeing as the station takes up a lot of width, it makes sense to place the goods shed in the available space at the back of the layout. The perennial problem on the 4mm layout was the signalman's view past the goods shed. This has been solved now....

WEB Llanfair sig 2.jpg

The next move is to acquire a 7mm scale lorry to test the 'road' space behind the box. Shed roof is not attached as yet...
WEB Llanfair sig 1.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I've now started on a wagon kit.....It's all a bit scattergun while waiting for stuff. This Parkside kit was an impulse purchase to keep me occupied, Following instructions, I did the axleguards first and glued them to the solebars. The two grooves in the floor for the solebars were too narrow so were opened out...

WEB Horse 1.jpg

Once glued in place, the chassis was set up between books while it dried out overnight...
WEB Horse 2.jpg

Assembling brake gear with pincers, wagging tongue and Mekpak took a while even though I played safe and drilled out all the holes oversize. While most of the instructions are to one orientation, the brakegear drawing is upside down. I doubt it is assembled correctly...
WEB Horse 5.jpg

Then I came to the joker in the pack. At no point was Part No.3 mentioned. Part No.3 happens to be the chassis frame!!!
WEB Horse 4.jpg

The framework was cut into 6 parts and glued to the floor. I glued it upside down, not that the drawing showed there was a flange on one side! It gets worse. The parts are numbered on the sketches but are not numbered on the sprue.
WEB Horse 6.jpg

Last edited:

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
I bought two fruit vans for Moor Street, the sort that brought Guernsey toms to Brum. I half built the first. I think the second would go together better if I could remember what I learned not to do on the first half of the first.

My current HO Intermountain kit is more complex but has extra small parts, good instructions and is prepainted. I bought it a long time ago, the plastic is much more rigid.

Last edited:

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
As far as proof reading is concerned I'd have agreed with you five years ago. Now I've done some I realise how easy it is to miss something. In fact as far as I can see all instructions are a work in progress becoming more refined as time goes on and as customers comment on areas which are less easily understood. I assure you that I take great pride in endeavouring to get them right first time but doubt I've ever achieved it.

Apologies for the diversion, Larry.

Brian

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The component parts are okay so they need better and more explanatory exploded diagrams (the artist couldn't make his mind up on orientation within the same drawing). It is the important matter of being able to identify component parts and see how they go together. But when it comes to assembly of wagon brakegear etc, some streamlining is needed to reduce the number of parts.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Simple and strong: Bent wire soldered to cross beam....................Plastic detailing parts glued either side....
WEB Horse 7.jpgWEB Horse 9.jpg

Stronger than gluing plastic rod to plastic bar...''''''''''''''''''''''''''' Cast whitemetal vac and steam pipes attached with split pins.
WEB Horse 10.jpgWEB Horse 14.jpg

Last edited:

paulc

Western Thunderer
Simple and strong: Bent wire soldered to cross beam....................Plastic detailing parts glued either side....

View attachment 173859View attachment 173860

Stronger than gluing plastic rod to plastic bar...''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''Brake pull rod detail...
View attachment 173861View attachment 173862

Following instructions put brake lever in way of steps..................... Glued back the removed parts to offset the brake lever...
View attachment 173863View attachment 173864

Cast whitemetal vac and steam pipes attached with split pins... I wouldn't have trusted glue...
View attachment 173866View attachment 173867

Lamp irons have fallen off already, but I aim to get some lost-wax fittings for these and door handles....
View attachment 173868
Parkside kit instructions were one of the better ones but since Peco took them over they have been 'modified' .
Not for the better .

Stephen Freeman

Western Thunderer
The brake gear that I have always found tricky is the Parkside Toad (Not the Peco one) and I have made more than one but always found it difficult to interpret the diagrams hope they have improved. Oh and I think the yokes on the righthand axle maybe should go under the axle so the pull rod connects to the crank over the axle.

Thinking about it I think that the yokes should go under the axles in all cases and the pull rods and cranks should be inboard.

When maintenance or building was being carried out the wheel sets should be able to be dropped out, makes it easier to model too. There is a prototype photo of how things were done (in this case not GWR) on RMWEB on the thread for Bourton on the Water.

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Thank good ness the underside will be in shadow :). The black parts are a tougher plastic and do not adhere well, which is why they're dropping off. Ah well, plastikard to the rescue.....

WEB Horse 16.jpgWEB Horse 17.jpg

Finished as far as I can go until I order some lost wax fittings.....
WEB Horse 19A.jpg
Have left the lavatory top window open. Plenty of lessons learned.........:drool:
WEB Horse 19B.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I cut a piece of thick glazing to fit the aperture of the fixed window but did not apply glue. Instead, it was trapped in place by a piece of glazing that covers the droplight as well. Bigger glue area!
WEB Horse 21.jpg

Finished as far as I can tell. It represents a horsebox not long in traffic after a BR repaint.....
WEB Horse 21B.jpgWEB Horse 21C.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
7mm equivalents of the 4mm lorries are required but I decided to go 6mm seeing as road space is limited. First dealt with was the Scammel mechanical horse, a neat Corgo model and not expensive....
WEB Scammel 4.jpg
The areas where I wanted to apply Methfix transfers were sprayed over with Halfords Rosso Red so the trasnfers would 'key'. 'British Railways' and the numerals came from an HMRS 2mm sheet. The trailer was resprayed with my carmine red mix and both units were weathered underneath...
WEB Scammel 5.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I know what you're saying Cliff, but the road vehicles are only trimmings. I'm messing around while waiting for a signal box kit to turn up. A coal lorry is on the agenda next.