4mm & 7mm Llanfair ....

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Most of the painting is completed and awaiting matt varnishing with Halford lacquer. The staircases are always awkward to assemble and fragile in 4mm scale. A simple 3D set of 'standard' steps that the customer could cut to length would be useful on which to attach 3D sides/handrails. The chimney stack is plastic from the spares box....

WEB Barmouth signalbox 6.jpeg

Window frames and locking frame door (from another kit) attached with Evostik Impact adhesive. The woodwork colours are Phoenix-Precision P16 GWR Coach Cream and P17 GWR Coach Brown...
WEB Barmouth signalbox 7.jpeg

Last edited:

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
An opportunity to get close to the subject:
Dave

As a maker of model buildings I find estate agent details quite useful for gaining info. In this digital age they are becoming increasingly useful for providing interior / exterior photos, plans, 3d renders etc.

rps20230307_164459.jpg

This is the first time I've actually seen a full 3d scan though.

In the case of my current 7mm build, I've been added by one of the properties being a shop that's done a Google Streetview style set of 360deg linked images of the interior. Was a great help on working out the interior layout.

Also planning application drawings can also be helpful. The plans are normally dimensioned.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Almost ready for Llanfair Road. Awaiting finials. Another job is to find nameplates for signal box and running in board....
WEB Barmouth signalbox 9A.jpeg

Llanfyllin signal box provided the inspiration for the locking room below platform level.... some work remains here...
WEB Barmouth signalbox 9B.jpeg

No weathering has been applied yet....
WEB Barmouth signalbox 9C.jpeg

The real thing....
WEB Llanfair Rd box 10B.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
An Intentio waiting shelter has been built and painted in BR Western Region colours....
WEB Shelter 9A.jpg
I deviated from the kit by using Slaters corrugated sheet for roof cover instead of the fine emery paper supplied...
WEB Shelter 9C.jpg
A gutter and drainpipe was also fitted, then it was weathered...
WEB Shelter 9B.jpg

Last edited:

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Did you commission this, Larry? I don’t see it on their website.
See post 1977 here:

:)

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I didn't commission the waiting shelter. As I am a regular laser cut builder, Phil very kindly tries the occasional kit out on me. They help keep me occupied during the Winter WB season.

Seeing as the season is coming ot an end, I am working on cattle dock from Ratio and building it to suit a particular location. Regulars of this thread may remember the previous one was moved all over the place and finally fell apart haha. This one knows where its going! The external walls have been replaced by Wills random stone...

WEB Cattle 4mm 1.jpg

Last edited:

JasonBz

Western Thunderer
I quite often find the camera spots it where just looking doesn't... No idea why it works like that.
Quite simply, it is because people tend to see what they expect to see, not what is actually there in front of them.
In real life there is always so much else "going on" that the brain kind of just takes in the big picture and will smooth out the details, but when you are looking at a photograph you are much more likely to be focused on that one thing.