4mm Llanfair ....

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Larry.
There appears to be a plain, gable end shaped area on the LH wing, presumably where you've moved the centre section back to make room for the outbuilding? Are you going to be able to blend it in with the brick pattern on the remainder of the walls?
Dave.

paulc

Western Thunderer
Larry.
There appears to be a plain, gable end shaped area on the LH wing, presumably where you've moved the centre section back to make room for the outbuilding? Are you going to be able to blend it in with the brick pattern on the remainder of the walls?
Dave.
Hi Dave , Larry has chopped and channeled so many of these kits that I'm sure he has a method but its funny that you and i both picked up on that section of wall .

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Larry.
Dave.
It's covered haha....... I wasn't going to say anything, but roofing slate weathering is intended. Happened on several stations on the Cambrian section.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The utterly drab wall tiling reminds me of growing up in the industrial town of Oldham, On top of that, the whole thing is so darned untidy in the cold light of day. So I'm not sure what to do at the moment. Some pieces of laser cut roofing produced by Intentio might come in useful if I wreck the wall while removing the paper slates...

WEB Station new 11A.jpg

Paul Tomlinson

Western Thunderer
The utterly drab wall tiling reminds me of growing up in the industrial town of Oldham, On top of that, the whole thing is so darned untidy in the cold light of day. So I'm not sure what to do at the moment. Some pieces of laser cut roofing produced by Intentio might come in useful if I wreck the wall while removing the paper slates...

View attachment 211609
Larry, how about Wills' sheet, 75mm high x 130mm wide?
(or another supplier if there's a better alternative)
I'm thinking one with "overlap" relief built-in so you don't have to faff with individual strips. A possible issue is that it might look a different pattern to the pitched roof :-(

IMG_1725.jpeg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Larry, how about Wills' sheet, 75mm high x 130mm wide?
(or another supplier if there's a better alternative)
I'm thinking one with "overlap" relief built-in so you don't have to faff with individual strips. A possible issue is that it might look a different pattern to the pitched roof :-(

View attachment 211610
Hi, I have the Wills sheet but the problem is its thickness. The Intentio slates are on thin card so i have been busy cutting things to fit.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Job done! The slates were chiselled off and replaced by the Intentio 'sheet'. I'm really pleased with these, and it occurs to me a large sheet of these would be very useful IMO and really speed up the process of adding roof slates. However, there might be the question of "expensive to laser cut"...

WEB Station new 11B.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Another hold up. I am not sure of those chimney stacks now, as they look too low. Some 3D replacements have been ordered to go on top of the roof...
WEB Station new 12D.jpg
Al the fittings sprayed and matted ready for fitting...

WEB Station new 12E.jpg

The repaired roof after removing the two chimney stacks. Actually it is a brandnew roof...!
WEB Station new 13.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The resin chimney stacks from Model Railway Scenes are fab and I'll fit these to any future buildings...

WEB Chimney stacks..jpg

All the fireplaces in the station masters house are catered for here. The single stack had been raised at some time to aid draughting... I must have been drunk... :rolleyes: :D
WEB Station new 14A .jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
All structural work is complete and the whole building sprayed with Halfords Matt Lacquer, which also livens up the paintwork.....

WEB Station new 15B.jpg

The slate-clad wall has come out okay. Because the rear of the building has no public face or entrance, plain bargeboards must have been considered sufficient when the originals needed attention... :rolleyes:
WEB Station new 15A.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Finished with some photos in this mornings sun....

WEB Station new 16A.jpgWEB Station new 16B.jpg
Ladies lavatory accessed inside tea room while Gents is outside.....
WEB Station new 16C.jpg

Back of the station showing kitchen extension covering blocked up street entrance...
WEB Station new 16D.jpg

Upstairs bathroom & toilet conversion with stink pipe....
WEB Station new 16E.jpg

Temporarily in position showing lighter red brickwork than used on earlier buildings....
WEB Station new 16G.jpg

I had overlooked ticket office and porters room. Now sorted.....
WEB Station new 17B.jpg
web-station-new-17b-jpg.212431

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Job's stopped again. I had hopes of converting a brick signalbox into a part wooden box before throwing in the towel. Anyway, a different firm has kindly agreed to produce me a RH version of one of its signal boxes so I am confident something positive will come out of this. I managed to produce this RH version from a LH kit in 7mm scale, which gives an idea of what I am aiming to produce in 4mm.
WEB Llanfair Box 10B.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
While awaiting a signalbox kit, I decided to spruce up a second-hand Small Prairie by rubbing off the original insignia, spraying it lightly with Halfords Satin Black and affixing large pre-1956 totems, varnished with Halfords Satin Lacquer.

The totem are 9mm high off Methfix sheet B3, replaced in later years by BR Sheet 14. Transfers on the latter sheet were slightly larger with the large BR totem coming out at 10mm high.

I intend making up a new smokebox number plate. 4560 worked on the Cambrian section in BR days...
WEB GWR 4560 1.jpg