7mm Bleddfa Road

Geoff

Western Thunderer
In my opinion, easily the best model railway photo in the world. Less is most definitely more.

Thank you Simon that is very kind of you, can't say that I agree about the photo, but I certainly agree with you about less being more. :)

That's lovely work Geoff, a really natural scene - well modelled that man!

Cheers Chris, much appreciated.

This one is pretty darned good as well!

Thanks Tim, it is also available in colour, but I'm not sure it captures the atmosphere of the late fifties. ?

P1200823.jpg
Geoff

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
Thank you Simon that is very kind of you, can't say that I agree about the photo, but I certainly agree with you about less being more. :)

Cheers Chris, much appreciated.

Thanks Tim, it is also available in colour, but I'm not sure it captures the atmosphere of the late fifties. ?

View attachment 217734
Geoff
I actually thought the black and white one was very reminiscent of photos of the period, you could just imagine the photographer having to then get out of the way of the train!

But the colour one is fab, too!

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer

P1200823.jpg

To capture the late 50s early 60s you would have to adjust the colour balance, vibrancy and saturation to reflect the colour film or slide film of the day.

Geoff

Western Thunderer
There's not much happening on the modelling front at the moment, the Fordson truck which has been on my workbench since god knows when should have its windscreen, headlamp glasses and No. plates fitted by the end of the week. Another 7 plank coal wagon is also currently in build. The following photo sequence features the arrival and departure of this mornings passenger train from Kington.

P1200843-EDIT.png

P1200842-EDIT.jpg

P1200845-EDIT-EDIT.jpg

This mornings pick up goods had been held at Presteign, waiting to cross the Kington passenger train.

P1200850~2.JPG

With the station to herself 5807 started to knock some wagons around, testing this part built Slater's, side and end door RCH 7 plank in the process.

P1200847.JPG

Geoff

Nick Rogers

Western Thunderer
There's not much happening on the modelling front at the moment, the Fordson truck which has been on my workbench since god knows when should have its windscreen, headlamp glasses and No. plates fitted by the end of the week. Another 7 plank coal wagon is also currently in build. The following photo sequence features the arrival and departure of this mornings passenger train from Kington.

View attachment 219125

View attachment 219126

View attachment 219127

This mornings pick up goods had been held at Presteign, waiting to cross the Kington passenger train.

View attachment 219130

With the station to herself 5807 started to knock some wagons around, testing this part built Slater's, side and end door RCH 7 plank in the process.

View attachment 219141

Geoff

Stunning work, Geoff. As always, lots of lovely inspiration.

All the best,

Geoff

Western Thunderer
The Westdale coach definitely needs a foot board Geoff. I'm struggling with 00 gauge and you are not helping ..... :headbang: :p
The Westdale kit is rather basic Larry, and has no foot boards, or any means of attaching them to the aluminum solebars. I do have a cunning plan for putting things right, whether it will work or not remains to be seen.

Sorry to learn of your 00 struggles and hope that you soon overcome them, I was going to post a few more photos but don't want to lead you into temptation :p

Thanks to everyone for your likes and comments, welcome to the forum Frank, as for you Mr. Rogers you owe me a long overdue email :)

Geoff

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The Westdale kit is rather basic Larry, and has no foot boards, or any means of attaching them to the aluminum solebars. I do have a cunning plan for putting things right, whether it will work or not remains to be seen.
Strips of 18 thou brass with pins soldered on the underside would do. Push the pins into holes in solebars and attach with appropriate glue.

7mm scale is not too well off for coach kits, so maybe there is little appetite in this scale for coach building. After building a couple of LMS types, I can see why!!!

Geoff

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the tip Larry, that's an easy enough fix, and far neater than my idea of using a fine brass 'L' section

I wouldn't care to build another coach in 7mm scale either, I remember an article on constructing a Haywood E147 kit by the late Chris Klien that appeared in the RM. The only other 7mm scale coach kits that I'm aware of are by Ian Kirk, Slater's and Easybuild.

Geoff

Last edited:

MarkR

Western Thunderer
The Orion range of coaches look good,
mainly (or entirely) GW subjects, now in the care of Ragstone Models.
Mark

Robin

Hi Geoff

I thoroughly enjoy the updates on your marvellous layout.

Don’t forget Dave Parkins’ excellent MMP kits. I’m part way through a BR MK1 - it’s exemplary.

Best wishes
Robin

Geoff

Western Thunderer
The Orion range of coaches look good,
mainly (or entirely) GW subjects, now in the care of Ragstone Models.
Mark

Thanks for the heads up Mark, the Orion range is new to me.

Geoff

Hi Geoff

I thoroughly enjoy the updates on your marvellous layout.

Don’t forget Dave Parkins’ excellent MMP kits. I’m part way through a BR MK1 - it’s exemplary.

Best wishes
Robin

Hi Robin,

Thanks for your kind comments and the reminder about the MMP kits. If you enjoy my layout updates then my blog might appeal to you.

Geoff

adrian

Flying Squad
The only other 7mm scale coach kits that I'm aware of are by Ian Kirk, Slater's and Easybuild
Sidelines do a good range of coaches. Based on experience of a grand total of 1 coach build but will be ordering more as funds permit.

paulc

Western Thunderer
Or , do what a friend and i did and get them etched . After taking out a second mortgage (me) he and i ordered around 30 sets of coach etchings , all LNWR and L& Y . The exact number is lost in the mists of time but we got train formations made .
Long story short my mate passed away and i inherited all of his unbuilt / part built stock including , of course ,a lot of coach etches , at last count it was 42 including some six wheelers that had been etched for him later .
I'm manfully trying to build all the ones that i want but at some point the others will be sold on .

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I'm in the same boat when it comes to having lots of etchings for coaches. All paid for themselves years ago, but there is a lot of stuff at the Scottish etchers. Producing 7mm coaches was looked into until I realised that as a wage-maker, they didn't cut it.

I agree the 7mm scale Sidelines LMS coaches are a good range, but I am not happy with the extruded roof profile. There was a better one some years ago, so maybe it has sold out.

Geoff

Western Thunderer
Thanks for link Geoff. What a nicely produced piece of work. The Welsh Marches are my part of the world, so it really strikes a chord.

Robin
Thanks for link Geoff. What a nicely produced piece of work. The Welsh Marches are my part of the world, so it really strikes a chord.

Robin

Robin
Thanks Robin. We are frequent visitors to the Marches, what a lovely unspoilt area it is.
Geoff
Sidelines do a good range of coaches. Based on experience of a grand total of 1 coach build but will be ordering more as funds permit.
I had forgotten about Sidelines so thanks for the reminder Adrian.
Or , do what a friend and i did and get them etched . After taking out a second mortgage (me) he and i ordered around 30 sets of coach etchings , all LNWR and L& Y . The exact number is lost in the mists of time but we got train formations made .
Long story short my mate passed away and i inherited all of his unbuilt / part built stock including , of course ,a lot of coach etches , at last count it was 42 including some six wheelers that had been etched for him later .
I'm manfully trying to build all the ones that i want but at some point the others will be sold on .
I don’t fancy a second mortgage at my age Paul, so I’ll be happy using Larrys idea. :)

Geoff

paulc

Western Thunderer
Thanks Robin. We are frequent visitors to the Marches, what a lovely unspoilt area it is.
Geoff

I had forgotten about Sidelines so thanks for the reminder Adrian.

I don’t fancy a second mortgage at my age Paul, so I’ll be happy using Larrys idea. :)

Geoff
It was just a figure of speech Geoff , i didn't really ...... Ahh nuff said .

Geoff

Western Thunderer
I'm in the same boat when it comes to having lots of etchings for coaches. All paid for themselves years ago, but there is a lot of stuff at the Scottish etchers. Producing 7mm coaches was looked into until I realised that as a wage-maker, they didn't cut it.

I agree the 7mm scale Sidelines LMS coaches are a good range, but I am not happy with the extruded roof profile. There was a better one some years ago, so maybe it has sold out.
I always wondered why you didn’t produce a range of 7mm coaches Larry,
It was just a figure of speech Geoff , i didn't really ...... Ahh nuff said .
Oh I know that Paul :)

Geoff