Computer Aided Wagonry

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
Personally I export everything to a dxf and do all the fine adjustments in Draftsight or autocad
Is Draftsight any good? Do you know how it compares in user friendliness to TurboCAD, please? I'm not convinced by this Solid Edge program any more, although I think I may have to become proficient in layers, and that my problems with it will be solved if I do.

Artwork in CorelDraw was so much easier!

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
I can see why you are so chuffed. Hurry up main order and get to Pugsley!
Thanks Phil - I want the main order to turn up too! Then it's down to getting the castings made, and finishing off the artwork.

This may take a back seat to the 37 for a while now that I've given up any hope of having anything done by the RMweb competition deadline - that way I can hopefully get it running around the S7 test track at the Mark do in October. I'd like to have one twin set built for Telford next year though, as I plan to enter in in the competition.

28ten

Guv'nor
Is Draftsight any good? Do you know how it compares in user friendliness to TurboCAD, please? I'm not convinced by this Solid Edge program any more, although I think I may have to become proficient in layers, and that my problems with it will be solved if I do.

Artwork in CorelDraw was so much easier!
Personally i dont like turbocad, it is just not intuitive to me. Draftsight is excellent, not as good as Autocad LT but it is £900 cheaper :)) I use it regularly to tidy up the dxf's from Solidworks and for preparing dxfs for the laser. All the Autocad shortcuts are supported, so I rarely need to use menus.
Yes you need to learn to use layers, infact it is essential. good naming practice and prefixing is the key allowing you to easily filter them large drawings.

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Personally i dont like turbocad, it is just not intuitive to me. Draftsight is excellent, not as good as Autocad LT but it is £900 cheaper :)) I use it regularly to tidy up the dxf's from Solidworks and for preparing dxfs for the laser. All the Autocad shortcuts are supported, so I rarely need to use menus.
Yes you need to learn to use layers, infact it is essential. good naming practice and prefixing is the key allowing you to easily filter them large drawings.

Cynric,

That depends which version of TurboCad you've been using. I've currently got v18 Pro Platinum and it rocks (and, indeed, rolls). Superb piece of software with a much more intuitive GUI than of yore. I'll probably uplift to v19 as there's an offer running currently for existing users...

Steph

28ten

Guv'nor
Cynric,

That depends which version of TurboCad you've been using. I've currently got v18 Pro Platinum and it rocks (and, indeed, rolls). Superb piece of software with a much more intuitive GUI than of yore. I'll probably uplift to v19 as there's an offer running currently for existing users...

Steph
I have used Autocad for years, so Turbocad (I think it was V14) left me dumbfounded :)) Draftsight as a freebie is hard to beat, although I believe basic Turbocad is cheap.

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
Thanks Phil - I want the main order to turn up too! Then it's down to getting the castings made, and finishing off the artwork.

This may take a back seat to the 37 for a while now that I've given up any hope of having anything done by the RMweb competition deadline - that way I can hopefully get it running around the S7 test track at the Mark do in October. I'd like to have one twin set built for Telford next year though, as I plan to enter in in the competition.

These parts look very encouraging Martin - top stuff!! I'm uber excited to see the rest of it and the etched parts too:)

What's the 'Mark do' in October?

Cheers

Tom

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
I've got TurboCAD V17, but I don't find it particularly easy to use and am loathe to spend more money acquiring V18, only to discover that I don't like that either! I would only need the basic version though, as I've got Alibre for the 3D stuff.

I'll probably try and persevere with the layers in Solid Edge and if that doesn't work to my satisfaction, give Draftsight a go. There certainly seems to be more in the way of instructions and supporting documentation for it, than there is for Solid Edge.

28ten

Guv'nor
Draftsight is pretty much the default freebie choice, and its better supported. I find a parametric modeller and a basic 2d work well together

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
Bah, I've gone off technology :rant:

The main order has turned up and the finish on several of the parts is appalling. It looks like some kind of machine fault, as parts of them are fine, but other bits are as rough as a Badgers behind. Mostly the brake components for some reason, but I think that's a coincidence!

Piccies:
IMG_2690web.jpg
IMG_2691web.jpg

IMG_2692web.jpg

IMG_2693web.jpg

Most of the brake shoes are no good, but I may be able to do something with the reservoirs and brake cylinders. Of course, I'm hoping I don't have to and that Shapeways are going to reprint them for me. I've sent them an email about it, so only time will tell if that happens.

It looks like it could be some sort of machine problem to me, given that the first (or possibly last, I don't know which way the were printed) parts of both the cylinders and reservoirs are perfect. That indicates that the design is not the problem, so they won't be able to fob me off with that one!

The axleboxes have come out quite nicely though, even though the writing isn't that visible:
IMG_2694web.jpg

And overall I'm pleased - here are all of the bits scattered across the workbench:
web.jpg

Overall, there were more good parts than bad, but I'm still a little disappointed, especially as the quality of those parts that have worked properly is superb.

Back to getting my head around layers in CAD now!

Attachments

• IMG_2696web.jpg
    IMG_2696web.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2695web.jpg
    IMG_2695web.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 9

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
The complaint email has already gone in, and I'm hoping that reprinting is the outcome. I won't know until early next week though, as I didn't send the email until about 6 tonight.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
This is what worries me, Shapeways are very hit and miss recently and at what level do they draw the line as acceptable, it may be vastly different to what you or I deem acceptable, at 150+ Euros for a loco cab in 1:32 you'd want to be reasonably comfortable that it'll be finished to a high margin of quality.

Looking good so far :).

Kindest