Dave's 4mm scale Industrial Loco Workshop.

Dave

Western Thunderer
To paraphrase custom car builder Dave Kindig; Scratchbuilding isn't easy, but if it was easy everyone would be doing it and then it wouldn't be cool.

I'd say this one is finished.
DSCF1224s.jpg

DSCF1228s.jpg

DSCF1236s.jpg
It's surprisingly quiet in operation. I have had N20s that have been very noisy, but this one is very quiet. It pulls well, too. I coupled it to 10x21t minerals, plus the 240g dead weight of a Planet Industrials Victory 0-6-0T and it pulled the lot.

I will take a break from building locomotives for a while. I want to finish Blacker Lane and to get Harboro Stone up and running again. There's also the small matter of building the layout for this thing to run on, which is a nothing but a bare baseboard at the moment.

paulc

Western Thunderer
I tried that but with Loctite instead of Araldite. It actually worked and I managed to hand file the flare.
View attachment 216130

It's a chimney, but not the right chimney. A forum member has very kindly offered to make me a proper one.
View attachment 216131

1814 had at least 3 chimneys in its life. Firstly the short one, then what appears to be a taller Manning Wardle chimney and finally a tall replacement that was its last and appears to have been fitted to either a new boiler or at least a new, welded, smokebox.
View attachment 216132

The last but one photo, with the cylinders and slide bars on, ought to have come after this one.
View attachment 216133
The cylinder ends and motion brackets are made from 18 thou. hard brass, the slide bars from 30 thou. nickel silver and the strange bits are the piston glands or whatever. The extra bit is there to give something to hold in pliers whilst filing them to be a good fit in the slide bars. It was sawn off after the part was soldered into the slide bars.

The slide bars are made overly long so that the part on the left sticks out beyond the motion bracket and keeps the bars to gauge until they are soldered into the motion bracket. The excess is then sawn off, leaving two bars soldered in and lined up.
Loctite is just a brand name like Hoover . What type of Loctite did you use ?

Dave

Western Thunderer
I said that I'd take a break from building engines, but I've now got these to make chimneys and domes, so it would be rude not to use them, wouldn't it? ;)
20240806_165136[1][3126].jpg

Dave

Western Thunderer
I have changed the title again. This time to reflect that it's not all scratchbuilding.

The current project was started before the Manning Wardle on page one and is a 325HP Hunslet diesel-hydraulic. The model is intended to run on my Blacker Lane layout and represents w/n 7410 of 1976. It is a Judith Edge kit that requires modification to represent this particular prototype.

7410 was the last true industrial locomotive to work at British Oak Disposal Point but I think the very last trains there were worked by 08870 that was hired in from BR. I saw 7410 work trains in and out of the site just a few months before it closed in 1993.
HE7410atBritishOak2cropped.jpg
Crossing Blacker Lane on the way to collect empties at the exchange sidings.
HE7410cropped.jpg

1724585575002.jpeg

1724585601607.jpeg
All pretty straightforward up to this point.

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
I have changed the title again. This time to reflect that it's not all scratchbuilding.

The current project was started before the Manning Wardle on page one and is a 325HP Hunslet diesel-hydraulic. The model is intended to run on my Blacker Lane layout and represents w/n 7410 of 1976. It is a Judith Edge kit that requires modification to represent this particular prototype.

7410 was the last true industrial locomotive to work at British Oak Disposal Point but I think the very last trains there were worked by 08870 that was hired in from BR. I saw 7410 work trains in and out of the site just a few months before it closed in 1993.
View attachment 222366
Crossing Blacker Lane on the way to collect empties at the exchange sidings.
View attachment 222367

View attachment 222368

View attachment 222369
All pretty straightforward up to this point.
Lovely locos and lovely kits. I've built the 0-4-0 version and I do like how well they drop together