Finescale - of a sort?!

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
I couldn't start applying the top coats of paint on the saddle tank until the filler neck, with the problem of a top moulding was completed.

Although the pictures in the previous post show the fitting already part built, there was an overlap in posting the story.

hSAM_yx6159.JPG

As mentioned before, there are no known rivet details for the tank top, so I have simply set them on the filler flange at the same spacing as the sides and ends.

It took a while to find something suitable to act as a former for the laminated neck, but once again, Mrs, I. came to the rescue with the perfect solution!

hSAM_yx6160.JPG

The parallel sides of a wee little marmalade jar were just the right depth, and for the first two layers of 0.4mm ply at least, the external diameter was spot on. When set firm enough to handle, it was glued and pressed firmly into the hole, with the jar still inside to ensure no distortion until it cured.

hSAM_yx6165.JPG

With the jar removed, and the cable ties retained, a third layer was glued to the inside to form the desired thickness.

After allowing it to fully cure and then cleaning up, further progress stalled while I considered the best way to make up a half-round lip. I was not very keen to order anything online, with the prospect of ending up with loads of spare material after cutting the very short length required. The promised trip with Rich to our local model shop provided a potential answer: Two sizes of fairly short strips in what looks and feels more like ABS than styrene of roughly the right proportions were acquired for the princely sum of 80p each.

Not quite problem solved though, as it proved a right old faff to curve it down to the 44mm diameter!

hSAM_yx6225.JPG

Ironically, there was not enough on the strip for a second try, so I had to put up with the odd twists, deformations and ragged edges that resulted from the struggle caused by poorly controlled heat!

Filler would suffice, and hopefully hide the multitude of errors ?!

Then it was time at last for that first coat of lovely, pong everyone out of the house, gloss enamel...

hSAM_yx6234.JPG hSAM_yx6229.JPG hSAM_yx6233.JPG

Gosh, that stuff really is shouty and shiny isn't it ?!

Not bad for a first coat. After cutting and recoating at least another four times, which will take a while to do it properly, the surface should then be ready for lining out ?!

Pete.

Last edited:

simond

Western Thunderer
"It's so... black!" said Ford Prefect. "You can hardly make out its shape... light just seems to fall into it!"

The blackness of it was so extreme that it was almost impossible to tell how close you were standing to it.

"Your eyes just slide off it..." said Ford in wonder.

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Thank you so much to all for your replies. Yes Simon, it has indeed, and much to my surprise turned out to be temptingly tactile ! Although the paint dries quite quickly, it takes a while to harden - so I really must resist the utterly compelling urge to stroke it every time I walk past !

Pete.

Tom Insole

Western Thunderer
Wow! that black coat looks mighty fine. It almost reminds me of how Flying Scotsman came out of the sheds for the first time before she received her current Brunswick green coat... before lining you really aught to put a little nod toward the "wagon" being made as passenger car...

Stand to attention boys.. The Ministry of Munitions is afoot!
EC30A424-1F0F-4408-B99A-CC2A15A1D47C.jpeg.700b1460ca688f75b97200d055b81bd2.jpeg

Cue the silly photo with wagon, tin hat and air rifle over the shoulder..........

241576444_2076209709244117_7746392655085942712_n.jpg
Only a quick little sketch but you get the idea! ;)

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Thanks Tom and Dave. Sorry I have only just picked this up!

Yes Dave, I am really lucky to have the Hainault roundel, and I will always be indebted to the splendid gentleman who acquired it on my behalf.

Although I was born in the King George's Hospital at Newbury Park, I was brought up within sight and sound of Hainault station! I am told that an LT roundel was the first recognisable thing that I drew, and ended up becoming rather obsessed by it it in later years!

Another happy habit back then was regularly riding in the cab of the three car, "standard" stock on "the loop" to Woodford (with the connivance of my Grandpa Jim and the regular drivers) on Saturday mornings - broken only by the introduction of the converted Cravens ATO experimental units. When the initial trials ended and the ATO continued for the longer term, the forward saloons were restored, thus allowing my sneaky pleasure to resume! - It has to be said that while the 1960 stock cabs provided much more comfort, they were, lets face it, entirely characterless by comparison - a point not lost on me, even at such a tender age!

It is a great, and enduring sadness for me, that while the LT Museum possesses no less than three Standard motor car examples, none will ever turn a wheel under power again. There are clearly far too many obstacles, and neither is there sufficient will, let alone the finance available - Look at how long it is taking, and just how much it continues to cost getting the still complete "Q38" motors back on the juice again?!

Pete.

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
I have decided that now is the time to deal with the (not so) small matter of the dome:

Some vague ideas had been quietly cooking in the corner for a while with a favourite surfacing now and again. A handy, household item was identified and earmarked to facilitate...

Namely, a ballcock float!

Plans were made and supporting materials gathered, and then the bother started... Ballcocks indeed!! For some inexplicable reason, I had somewhat underestimated the true scale of that dome, realising that the float was in fact quite a bit too small! A complete rethink was required. The "thoughts" obviously became rather intense, not just for me, but perhaps more so for my nearest and dearest. If ever I had any doubts about whether she still loved me; she suddenly left the room, made a lot of noises as if she was throwing stuff around, then reappeared and plonked something down on the coffee table:

"Will this do!" She enquired - with a just a hint of desperation in her voice...

hSAM_yx6276.JPG

"I kept tripping over the damned thing, so you can do what you like with it!" she continued - jokingly - I think?!

So it did!

hSAM_yx6277.JPG

Remarkably, it has almost the right girth, and when chopped down, still looks good for overall shape. The lip at the top, where the safety valves are fitted, is prototypical too, if a tad oversize.

There is (had to be?) a problem though: The beast is vac formed from that tough but waxy plastic that apparently no solvent or other adhesive will work on, nor even paint adhere to either! I hope to have some answers for that challenge however, and the first was to make a deep base that will allow it to be very tightly fitted and then invisibly screwed or pinned down:

hSAM_yx6279.JPG

I know I have regularly ranted about mixing media, but needs must, and I remain reasonably confident that it is appropriate in this instance?!

Now there are two rather horrible substances thus conjoined:

hSAM_yx6281.JPG hSAM_yx6290.JPG

Though not yet permanently! The next really interesting bit will be forming a solid tapering flange all around the base.

Although this is not quite a case of the ubiquitous "Squeezy bottle and sticky-backed plastic", Tracy Island model making, do you think I might get a Blue Peter badge for it..?!

Pete.

simond

Western Thunderer
Pete

your bottle is probably a variety of Polyethylene, and it is, as you say, waxy and difficult to paint/glue to. There are processes such as "corona treatment" that will help, but I have no idea where you would find the necessary equipment - we make similar stuff, but nothing that would help, unfortunately.

One approach that might work, and may also assist with your fillet around the base, would be to take a mould off the part, and then cast your dome in the mould. Fibreglass / isopon / papier mache...

Alternatively, a big wood-turning lathe, and a whopping great bit of tree?

I'm sure that if you were a year or two younger, you'd definitely get the badge!

cheers
Simon

Tom Insole

Western Thunderer
I have decided that now is the time to deal with the (not so) small matter of the dome:

Though not yet permanently! The next really interesting bit will be forming a solid tapering flange all around the base.

Although this is not quite a case of the ubiquitous "Squeezy bottle and sticky-backed plastic", Tracy Island model making, do you think I might get a Blue Peter badge for it..?!

Pete.

Right then, Item 1:

You want "ANOTHER" badge.... ;) One isn't enough eh? hehehe

Item 2: what's the radius of both the outer diameter of the bottle, depth of the radius both top and outer? I'm more than sure I could draw up and print something on that nature.
I'll also ask a few of the engineers here if they've any experience with the material and paint.. By chance do you still have the base? it might have a marking that shows what material it's made of? (usually accompanies the bit whether it's a recyclable plastic too!)

michael080

Western Thunderer
just wondering, didn't the bottle have some kind of recycling logo describing the material?
If it is Polyethylene, there is no chance to glue or paint it!
Michael

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the fascinating plastic replies folks! Simon wins with the papier mache suggestion !!

The last time I made anything out of the stuff I was almost certainly of school age, and had since quite forgotten what a messy business it can turn out to be. Admittedly, on this late occasion a decision to substitute the more traditional flour and water paste with neat PVA glue was probably a contributing factor?!

It took an awfully long winded weeks worth of shredding old newspapers, layering up and letting dry, layering again and then spending goodness knows how many hours trying to unstick myself, the floor and the furniture, until I was finally satisfied with both the structural integrity and overall shape of that distinctive dome:

hSAM_yx6297.JPG

It might look a bit like a dainty patchwork quilt, but it is now jolly hard, and I fancy that parts of it are more akin to a firework display mortar bomb!

So far, so good, if still a little too lumpy on the surface though. The next task was to cover the whole thing with a tough shell like coating, that would also permit levelling and final smoothing. After perhaps too much deliberation, I chose the "dark" variant of a tried and trusted wood filler, hoping that it would be durable enough in this particular context, and believing that the shade would show up imperfections more easily. The colour was a surprise though, and taking the terrible trail of paper and glue into account, I thought it very unwise to be spotted commencing this stage, so I chose my moment carefully !!

hSAM_yx6305.JPG

I don't think I'll be entering any cake decorating competitions any time soon, and perhaps I aught to give the pottery studio a miss too ?!

My excuse is that the stuff goes off extremely rapidly, so had to be worked with considerable haste. While applying it there was simply not enough time to worry about any difficulties I might have cutting it back once it was fully set! The fear certainly increased as it cured.

Needn't have worried though...

hSAM_yx6309.JPG hSAM_yx6316.JPG

Sanding was a cinch as it happened, and was almost a pleasure - apart from the choking dust thus generated!

I was a bit troubled by the strange, speckled effect produced wherever the many high spots were encountered. Maybe when at last a generous slosh of matt black undercoat went on?...

hSAM_yx6325.JPG hSAM_yx6326.JPG hSAM_yx6319.JPG

That will do ?!

There are still several minor blemishes visible on the surface - but oddly, they all look like small areas where some paint has flaked off and then been painted over, a quite common and observable feature of locomotive domes !

Pete.