Fred Phipps Class 22 Build

Toffee

Thanks for that John, you have confirmed what others have told me both here and in conversation, cheers Rob

Hi Rob,
Glad I was'nt telling you bad news :-(

Telling point is how few loco classes many drivers signed for, late 70's I had a friend in Cardiff whose dad was a driver based at Radyr, he was in his 50's and had always worked off Radyr, did'nt own a car used to bike to work on a old bone shaker (not a well paid job In them days). He had only ever been trained on 4 classes, 08, D95xx, Hymek, 37. By 1977 and till he retired all he drove was 08's and 37's. I don't think he was unusual in BR branch line depots, 47,s worked mgrs in the valleys ( Barry men ) 25s worked the Pontypridd parcels and Westerns worked excursions ( both Canton men). At a guess Carmathen men would know 08, 37, 47 and Westerns, nothing else apart from DMUs. To keep the men in West Wales proficient on Westerns there was a daily turn right up to the end of 76 which would be worked by around 6 crews in turn. in those days traction knowledge really was a limiter on what a loco would work unlike today.

John

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
I remember looking into the roster Clarke's office and saw a chart on the wall with drivers names next to the classes they were passed out on and the list was lone covering 03 to HSTs

Toffee

Now that's a very good find :thumbs: First i thought Canto open day 1970, but that was Nov 7. I see its one of the 82A mob so worked over from Bristol or down from Lydney/Glos, assisting a failed train perhaps or worked an extra working such as a parcels hmmm, wish i could see the headcode on the other end that might well help.
It did happen, just not very often !! Bit like warships but they did come over quite a bit more than 63 ers. A thought is maybe for tyre turning, all sorts of things turned up for the little shed with the lathe ;).

milo

taliesin

Western Thunderer
Been a while now but some small steps have been taken, some of the windows had already been cut and fixed in by the original builder but i had managed to knock one or two loose during the build and had the others to do so for a while i struggled on cutting windows from various redundant blister packs then gluing them in with Devcon.
I soon realised that this was not the way forward and started to think of alternatives. I remembered that i had been told that Shawplan did a set for the Class 22, possibly by Steve Harrod, or maybe Simon so i had a squint at the website. Nothing listed but i phoned anyway and spoke to the prop Brian Hanson who told me that he had done a test sheet or two for Fred but it had never been actively marketed. He thought he still had the design but i would have to wait a while as the machine that produced them had broken down.
About a week later Brian phoned me back to say that he had produced a full set, 90% cut through so i just had to press them out, check and possibly adjust the fit then glue them in. Anyone building one of these, trust me when i say that it is fifteen quid very well spent :thumbs:, Brian also recommended a glue called Glue 'N' Glaze which i admit i had never heard of but i got some, again off the interwebby and the job went much smoother.
Now i reckon it aint perfect, but it's a lot better than i envisaged when i was struggling with old blister packs and Devcon so here is one end,
photo-9.JPG

Notice the windscreen wipers have also been fitted, basically etches folded up and painted before fitting and so to the other end,

photo-8.JPG

I was dreading having to drill the holes for the wipers but it went quite sweetly in the end. I positioned the wipers having looked at pictures of the prototype, i guess the next time they were used after the pictures were taken they changed position anyway so maybe they could have gone anywhere and still be considered right.
Still haven't made up my mind if i should be pleased or appalled at myself for looking at pictures of windscreen wiper positions :), I had thought that this would complete the body but while fixing the wipers on i realised that there are still some hand rails to fit above the route display boxes, should have gone to spec savers then,
cheers to all, Rob

Simon

Flying Squad
I'd go with the Ex-Lydney/Glos working, going by the headcode, which is very close to a typical Forest of Dean turn... or it could've worked down from Withyn Reach....
Class22Finished015-1.jpg

:):):)

I still can't believe you sold that beautiful model that you hand carved from a flawed kit Jordan, I wouldn't have been able to part with it if I'd built it.

Back to Rob's build - it's looking just great, I look forward to seeing it running through Wenbridge Junction:)

Simon

taliesin

Western Thunderer
Back to Rob's build - it's looking just great, I look forward to seeing it running through Wenbridge Junction:)

Simon

Thanks Simon, but there might be some issues with the points :oops:, cheers Rob

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I had thought that this would complete the body but while fixing the wipers on i realised that there are still some hand rails to fit above the route display boxes, should have gone to spec savers...
I went into our local branch this afternoon and got the blank look, the staff had never heard of anything like Class 22 handrails.

ZiderHead

Western Thunderer
I still can't believe you sold that beautiful model that you hand carved from a flawed kit Jordan, I wouldn't have been able to part with it if I'd built it.

That is exactly what I thought when I saw that photo again, it really is lovely, and having previously read through the build thread on the old rmweb, a lot of work to get it looking that good.

Rob's big blue version is looking really good too :thumbs:

taliesin

Western Thunderer
The branch in Basingstoke must have poorly trained staff then, the branch in Cambridge had so many they threw in a tinted set for half price :D, now, back in the real world, luckily i had plenty of nickel-silver wire left over from when i did the cab handrails which happened to be the right size. Bent and painted them up then after fitting a quick bit of grime to blend them in a bit, like so,
photo-10.JPG

Glad you like it Jon, credit must go to Fred for the quality of the kit and for choosing the one true scale, he does not go in for FALTRT, cheers Rob

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

I have a half built FALTRT Class 22 to finish at some point:eek:........I will let you know when I fire up the angle grinder:))

taliesin

Western Thunderer
Well i hope you don't find it 'profoundly depressing' Phill,
I keep looking through the instruction manual and it would appear that what i have left to do is detailing the chassis which involves the end steps and the various gubbins on the central water tank fllowed by a lick of paint.
I also need to cobble up some sort of interior for the engine compartment to hide away the various wires from the R/C bits.
All this will happen later because on Saturday i am off to North Wales for two weeks for a fix of Narrow Gauge steam, Sunday should see me hanging off the regulator as i thunder through Pentrepiod at 12 MPH.
If your wondering which Railway this is then here is a clue, they have a two foot gauge 'Western" that really is FALTRT.
I will however be taking some Slaters Milk Tanker kits with me though, and hopefully an unopened package from Western Legacy, must resist, really must resist. And finally from B&R Video Productions, Diesel Hydraulic Heyday which has some lovely footage of a class 22 working in the Forest of Dean.
Cheers to all, Rob

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
. And finally from B&R Video Productions, Diesel Hydraulic Heyday which has some lovely footage of a class 22 working in the Forest of Dean.
Cheers to all, Rob

I keep eyeing up that DVD too :D, I already have most of the Hydraulic DVD's:rolleyes::oops: ,my own personal favourite so far though is 'Western Heroes' which has some really good footage of all Hydraulic class's in most liverys:cool:

taliesin

Western Thunderer
I keep eyeing up that DVD too :D, I already have most of the Hydraulic DVD's:rolleyes::oops: ,my own personal favourite so far though is 'Western Heroes' which has some really good footage of all Hydraulic class's in most liverys:cool:

Just had a quick look on ebay at Western Heroes DVD's, all i found was John Wayne :D, must try harder! Cheers Rob