Genghis's 7mm Workbench

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Looks like North Star. If it is to carry early LMS full panelled livery, the LMS did not line out vertical panelling below the waist. Also, if the window bolections were picked out (they weren't always), the whole bollection was painted, not just the inner section with rounded corners. I mentioned this after spotting some earlier LNWR coaches painted circa 2019.

Genghis

Western Thunderer
Looks like North Star. If it is to carry early LMS full panelled livery, the LMS did not line out vertical panelling below the waist. Also, if the window bolections were picked out (they weren't always), the whole bollection was painted, not just the inner section with rounded corners. I mentioned this after spotting some earlier LNWR coaches painted circa 2019.
Going to get Warren's LNWR crayoning set!

LarryG

Western Thunderer
LMS non-corridor coaches were lined in yellow. Gold was adopted for corridor coaches, but it was a strange turnabout when the Midland Railway had adopted yellow lining for all stock from WW1 to the end of its existence. I never used gold paint for coaches. A mixture of warm cream was easier to handle. Just random thoughts.

Genghis

Western Thunderer
LMS non-corridor coaches were lined in yellow. Gold was adopted for corridor coaches, but it was a strange turnabout when the Midland Railway had adopted yellow lining for all stock from WW1 to the end of its existence. I never used gold paint for coaches. A mixture of warm cream was easier to handle. Just random thoughts.
Your random thoughts are always welcome.

I thought that all radials were withdrawn or converted to bogie stock by LMS days, but am happy to be shown otherwise!

David

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Your random thoughts are always welcome.

I thought that all radials were withdrawn or converted to bogie stock by LMS days, but am happy to be shown otherwise!

David
From what I have read, many were later fitted with bogies but not all. As far as I can make out, some of the unrebuilt Radials passed into LMS stock. but whether they received LMS lake is something else. Photos are the partial answer

Genghis

Western Thunderer
Ready for painting. Commode handles and glazing to add after.

IMG_3205.jpg
Pick ups on the outer axles for lighting to to added.

IMG_3206.jpg

IMG_3207.jpg

IMG_3209.jpg

IMG_3210.jpg

The roof will press down properly: I hadn't noticed that I hadn't done it when I took the photos.

The interior is a bit basic, but not particularly visible.

Having built this kit I have decided that I need to find somebody with a proper set of industrial rollers. The next three coach builds are 50' arc roof vehicles. I don't fancy forming these myself. I had intended to get on with these, but I think a Connoisseur G5 will be next.

David

Genghis

Western Thunderer
Work continues apace with the G5 but is going to take a back seat for a few days as I have to collect a batch of etches tomorrow. That means a few days living with cut fingers..... but at least there will be almost the complete range of kits available for the Kettering show.

Anyway here is where we are now:

IMG_3218.jpg

IMG_3219.jpg

Genghis

Western Thunderer
Very nice, and in 10 days! It'd be more like 10 years if it was me.
Dave.
Thanks, but we now have to say 11 days. The customer pointed out that the rear vac pipe was in the wrong place and wanted me to add the vac and steam pipes that are visible under the valances and the remnant of the air pipe that 67341 carried in latter days. so here we are today:

IMG_2182.jpg

IMG_2183.jpg

IMG_2184.jpg

IMG_2186.jpg

I took the opportunity to replace the whitemetal pipes with brass ones.

David

Genghis

Western Thunderer
Well, it's been a while since I had anything to post.

I noted in my posts about the J25 build that I had made the centre axle float using wires to control the vertical movement and letting the coupling rods pivot about the central crankpin. This didn't work out well. The springing soon became too soft. With the drive from the rear wheel, this allowed the rear coupling rod to force up the centre wheel. The rods pivoted about the crankpin causing a lock up and an unhappy customer. Fortunately the ex-Fourtrack kits use axle bearings with a smaller OD than the other kits so I was able to ream the frames to use a larger diameter bearing, which is now fixed, so it is a solid 0-6-0 now. Unfortunately the customer had tried to rectify the problem by opening out the coupling rod holes but this just resulted in an unusable set of rods, so a replacement set were fitted. Paul Moore had done his usual excellent paint job.

IMG_1183.jpeg

Genghis

Western Thunderer
The latest item to go through the bench is a Roxey LSWR 48'Tri-composite. This is being depicted in its later years as a Camping Coach, so not all door furniture is present and internal partitions are not original. Here is is awaiting painting, glazing and the roof fixing.

IMG_3499.jpg

IMG_3500.jpg

Next up: an Eric Underhill Peckett, a Gladiator C4, 5 LNWR coaches and a DMR K1, though not necessarily in that order!

David