Getting On The Weed.....The Hunt for Missing Mojo

marsa69

Western Thunderer
Hi again,

A new long-term project I've started is one that will model the weed-killing train that was used in the Midlands/Northern England from 1989 onwards and it will be modeled in 7mm. It is the one that was powered by Hunslet-Barclay class 20/9. The stock looks like 3 x TTA and what appear to be 4 x mk1 coaches (all converted). I'd appreciate any info/photos that people may have especially info on the coaches and what they started out as in life i.e. BSK, TSO etc,

regards,

Mark

Western Thunderer
Hi Mark

I think i saw this train in the Model Rail mag. I'll have a look back at my issues & see if i can find it.

Steve  :thumbs:

marsa69

Western Thunderer
Cheers Steve. I managed to get a train consist for the predecessor to this train and now I'm torn between which one to do? The predecessor ran up until 1988 and relied on a normal everyday duty loco at one end and a converted DMU car at the other. This would fit in more with my timeline for my layout but I do like the thought of the replacement train with the Hunslet-Barclay locos. I suppose I can stretch my timeline up until the 1990's  :))

Mark

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
I have worked on the weed killing train in the early 90's as a pilot guard up to Shrewsbury before they went DOO
Ian

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
marsa69 said:
Cheers Steve. I managed to get a train consist for the predecessor to this train and now I'm torn between which one to do? The predecessor ran up until 1988 and relied on a normal everyday duty loco at one end and a converted DMU car at the other. This would fit in more with my timeline for my layout but I do like the thought of the replacement train with the Hunslet-Barclay locos. I suppose I can stretch my timeline up until the 1990's  :))

Mark

When did the pre-1988 train start ?

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Mark,

over the weekend, I ahve been looking at a number of OO gauge catalogues and 'box-shifter' websites  and thought that I had seen a pair of 20s and their associated tanks in one of them - but now cannot find it - typical.

However, browsing on RMweb, I came across this

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... entry22555

which might be of use.

cheers

Mike

marsa69

Western Thunderer
Me again,

more requests to make  :eek: I am after clear photos of the roof from a CK and an SK Mk1. Also any recommendations to good books for wagon stock particularly pertaining to TTA wagons and also Mk1 coaches,

regards,

Mark

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Phill Dyson said:
When did the pre-1988 train start ?

Do you not know when the pre-88 train started Mark ?  I would be interested to know what was running BR(WR) circa 1970 ?

marsa69

Western Thunderer
Hi Phill,

I know it was before '88 (I'll get me coat!)  :)) :shit: As for the train I'm not sure but if you follow the link posted earlier to rm^*b there are a couple of photos of the earlier weedkiller complete with ex-GWR coaches and a DMU control vehicle,

Mark

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
marsa69 said:
Hi Phill,

I know it was before '88 (I'll get me coat!)  :)) :shit: As for the train I'm not sure but if you follow the link posted earlier to rm^*b there are a couple of photos of the earlier weedkiller complete with ex-GWR coaches and a DMU control vehicle,

Mark

Cheers Mark  :thumbs:

I had an idea that weed killing train would be a good idea for a track cleaning train for a garden railway....but the idea got shelved as I didn't come up with enough info on weed killing trains on the western in the late 60's/early 70's  :scratch:

Phill  :wave:

marsa69

Western Thunderer
I had an idea that weed killing train would be a good idea for a track cleaning train for a garden railway

On your layout it would have to be ELTRT! Exactly Like The Real Thing  :))

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Phill Dyson said:
Cheers Mark  :thumbs:

I had an idea that weed killing train would be a good idea for a track cleaning train for a garden railway....but the idea got shelved as I didn't come up with enough info on weed killing trains on the western in the late 60's/early 70's  :scratch:

Phill  :wave:
There are a couple of pics of a weedkilling train in the new book "Hydraulics in the West"
The first shows a 22 running round its train at Totnes 14th may 1966
The train consists of ... Brake van, 4x 4 wheel tanks( look abit like 6wheel milk tanks only 4 wheel), 2x coaches of some sort(red & cream livery), 4 wheel box van and another brakevan.

The second shows D1006 Stalwart in blue at Heathfield
The train consists of southern S van, possibly a TTA, then two smaller (in height) tanks, a coach (no idea what sort), then it looks like a van then brakevan but cant make it out.

Hope this helps
Rob :thumbs:

mth

Western Thunderer
is it this train you are looking for?

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    450.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    459.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    461.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    487.4 KB · Views: 11

marsa69

Western Thunderer
Hi,

thanks for the shots Mat there are really interesting even though they are the southern region train  ;D One day I might model that as well  :)) I have plenty of photos to make a start now and joining departmentals.com has thrown up some more useful ones. All I need now is to acquire the two SO Mk1s, 3 TTAs and 2 class 20s that I still need  :eek: :shit:

regards,

Mark

mth

Western Thunderer
IIRC there were 2 trains covering the hole country, I think this one worked over all region's and most lines below Crewe. The photo's are of it working out of Bristol in around 1989 to 91. Mainly in the Frome  area and the last photo is at Westbury when i worked the train. 20904 had packed up :shit: and was dumped at Gloucester, and they had to barrow the 37. then 20901 packed up :headbang:.

Happy Day's
Found this,
http://www.penmorfa.com/Archive/thirtyfive.htm

Have you seen this?
http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=46869