7mm Mickoo's Commercial Workbench

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Makes me wonder what the reading would be for plain 'ol cellulose paint. I wore masks, but not when using stop-bath and fixer in the photographic darkroom. Both played their part in messing me up for some years, yet the cause didn't occur to me ta the time and I blamed the cellulose!

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
As one or two of you may know, I do a bit of 3D printing here and there and for practical reasons the printer is in my study, it's a moderate room (15'x 7') and heated.

There's been a lot written about the dangers (real or perceived) about resin printers and the resin itself so I got a little curious after seeing some rather bizzare set ups people have for their printers, bio tents, forced extraction etc etc. Some Cannabis growers could learn a lot from these guys :eek:

It is a toxic material and you shouldn't drink it and avoid touching it, eye protection is recommended as well, but what about fumes, great if you can smell but I can't so I've no idea if there are fumes or not. In the end I took the plunge and purchased a TVOC meter, it's those that could be causing the most long term harm, the physical contact is easily dealt with by using appropriate PPE and common sense, but fumes?

Base values are, and there are many charts out there with slightly differing values so these are broad values.

<300 ppm is excellent and safe
<500 ppm is safe
>500 -1000 ppm it's okay but you should be ventilating
>1000-3000 ppm not good and needs lots of ventilation
>3000-5000 ppm very poor and requires forced ventilation
>5000 ppm you really should be looking at alternative options.

Of course duration of exposure is important and few tables list that, it should also be noted that nail varnish remover, white spirits and other house hold chemicals used daily by millions can easily be in the 2-5000 ppm bracket.

Anyway, to the crux, Saturn 2 with Siraya tech fast navy grey after a four hour print (resin is at peak temperature.

View attachment 206773

That's an open vat (of highly toxic material according to some), yet the gasses and fumes emitted are below the target 300 ppm or in the meters case 0.3mg/m³.

Suddenly I'm very much at ease with my printer in a domestic environment, however, I opened the tub of IPA to one side and with in 60 seconds the meter flipped out at a max 5000.

Now whether those fumes are harmful I've no idea, much like White spirits and Turps I suspect, or other house hold cleaners. Long term and constant exposure I'm confident they will be but short term two or three times a day for a few minutes? I've no idea.

Typically it takes me 60-120 seconds to clean a part ready for the UV station and it takes the room 20 minutes once the lid is back on to return to <300 ppm it'd be quicker if I opened a window, probably 2-3 minutes truth be told. A simple fan extraction would be useful but I'm loathe to drill big holes in walls.

There are lots of air quality meters on the market, ranging form £30 to £300, not all give you all the tests, this one is quite good as it measures several types of pollutant. If your concerned about printers and fumes then grab yourself one to put your mind at rest, but don't be surprised if ordinary things you've used openly for years flag up as unhealthy, Disaronno 3500 ppm, red wine 5000+ ppm, Gin 5000+ ppm ;)
What does it register with beer, wine and strong spirits? I need to know...

Concerned of Pencarrow Towers.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Makes me wonder what the reading would be for plain 'ol cellulose paint. I wore masks, but not when using stop-bath and fixer in the photographic darkroom. Both played their part in messing me up for some years, yet the cause didn't occur to me ta the time and I blamed the cellulose!
Indeed, I'll do a test shortly in the shed when spraying celly, usually I have the window open and the booth vents outside, recently I just let it vent in the shed 18'x8' for a quick 2-3 min spray up, not the smartest move I admit but we often ignore our own safety but are very proactive about others....go figure. That's humans for you :D

mickoo

Western Thunderer
What does it register with beer, wine and strong spirits? I need to know...

Concerned of Pencarrow Towers.
Just drink it quickly, TVOC's are a gas so the quicker it's inside you the less chance of it gassing off....or perhaps not :confused: :))

Interestingly, IPA is often described as cleaning alcohol so it must depend on the base chemicals, the meter won't be able to differentiate between them so will just measure all of them.

For the record, Peroni is 180 ppm, knew it was cheap :shit: , now I have proof :))

Last edited:

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Just drink it quickly, TVOC's are a gas so the quicker it's inside you the less chance of it gassing off....or perhaps not :confused: :))

Interestingly, IPA is often described as cleaning alcohol so it must depend on the base chemicals, the meter won't be able to differentiate between them so will just measure all of them.

For the record, Peroni is 180 ppm, knew it was cheap :shit: , now I have proof :))

MekPak? Just wondering for a friend...

mickoo

Western Thunderer
MekPak? Just wondering for a friend...
I'd say that's not nice, it's a chemical so I'd expect it to have lots of TVOC of the bad type, yet I've just checked some Butanone and it's not registering at all, mind the bottle is about five years old so probably isn't Butanone any more :confused:

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Quick update on the bench activities, this week a Scorpio Buffalo but the broad gauge variant.

The kit only comes with the valances for the broad gauge version, you need to scratch build a new footplate/splashers, buffer beams and I suspect the cab front might need some attention to suit the wider splasher. I extended the brake hanger pins through to the inside frames to give them a little more strength, you probably don't need to but I felt happier with the extra strength.

Once the tie rods and pull rods are all in then the pivot bearings will all need dressing back for clearances.

IMG_5621.jpg

IMG_5622.jpg

IMG_5624.jpg

ICH60

Western Thunderer
As one or two of you may know, I do a bit of 3D printing here and there and for practical reasons the printer is in my study, it's a moderate room (15'x 7') and heated.

There's been a lot written about the dangers (real or perceived) about resin printers and the resin itself so I got a little curious after seeing some rather bizzare set ups people have for their printers, bio tents, forced extraction etc etc. Some Cannabis growers could learn a lot from these guys :eek:

It is a toxic material and you shouldn't drink it and avoid touching it, eye protection is recommended as well, but what about fumes, great if you can smell but I can't so I've no idea if there are fumes or not. In the end I took the plunge and purchased a TVOC meter, it's those that could be causing the most long term harm, the physical contact is easily dealt with by using appropriate PPE and common sense, but fumes?

Base values are, and there are many charts out there with slightly differing values so these are broad values.

<300 ppm is excellent and safe
<500 ppm is safe
>500 -1000 ppm it's okay but you should be ventilating
>1000-3000 ppm not good and needs lots of ventilation
>3000-5000 ppm very poor and requires forced ventilation
>5000 ppm you really should be looking at alternative options.

Of course duration of exposure is important and few tables list that, it should also be noted that nail varnish remover, white spirits and other house hold chemicals used daily by millions can easily be in the 2-5000 ppm bracket.

Anyway, to the crux, Saturn 2 with Siraya tech fast navy grey after a four hour print (resin is at peak temperature.

View attachment 206773

That's an open vat (of highly toxic material according to some), yet the gasses and fumes emitted are below the target 300 ppm or in the meters case 0.3mg/m³.

Suddenly I'm very much at ease with my printer in a domestic environment, however, I opened the tub of IPA to one side and with in 60 seconds the meter flipped out at a max 5000.

Now whether those fumes are harmful I've no idea, much like White spirits and Turps I suspect, or other house hold cleaners. Long term and constant exposure I'm confident they will be but short term two or three times a day for a few minutes? I've no idea.

Typically it takes me 60-120 seconds to clean a part ready for the UV station and it takes the room 20 minutes once the lid is back on to return to <300 ppm it'd be quicker if I opened a window, probably 2-3 minutes truth be told. A simple fan extraction would be useful but I'm loathe to drill big holes in walls.

There are lots of air quality meters on the market, ranging form £30 to £300, not all give you all the tests, this one is quite good as it measures several types of pollutant. If your concerned about printers and fumes then grab yourself one to put your mind at rest, but don't be surprised if ordinary things you've used openly for years flag up as unhealthy, Disaronno 3500 ppm, red wine 5000+ ppm, Gin 5000+ ppm ;)
Concur. I bought a TOCV meter as I was worried about the resins. As you say the meter stays in the safe readings.
What was the big surprise was the reading with IPA and the meter went off the end scale! I have never seen any warning about IPA other than do not drink it!

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Concur. I bought a TOCV meter as I was worried about the resins. As you say the meter stays in the safe readings.
What was the big surprise was the reading with IPA and the meter went off the end scale! I have never seen any warning about IPA other than do not drink it!
Yup same for me, IPA sends the meter just crazy.

simond

Western Thunderer
I think there’s another factor - whilst the IPA is obviously highly volatile, there are metabolic pathways to clear it from the body so it isn’t really a problem (in most dosages!). My guess is that we didn’t evolve pathways that deal with some of the nastier chemicals (and heavy metals) around because they were either not in the environment at all, or because their effects are so slow they had no appreciable effect on birth rate.

Do we have any evolutionary biologists who could confirm or correct my view?

jonte

Western Thunderer
I think there’s another factor - whilst the IPA is obviously highly volatile, there are metabolic pathways to clear it from the body so it isn’t really a problem (in most dosages!). My guess is that we didn’t evolve pathways that deal with some of the nastier chemicals (and heavy metals) around because they were either not in the environment at all, or because their effects are so slow they had no appreciable effect on birth rate.

Do we have any evolutionary biologists who could confirm or correct my view?

Doubt you’ll get a reply from any at the moment, Simon.

Looks like they and the Cosmologists are busy tearing up the text books and going back to the drawing board.

Latest thinking is that if Darwin was right, Guerillas should be writing computer programmes by now, and the discovery of some ‘Big Ring’ out there on the edges of the Universe, has apparently brought into question everything we thought we knew about the Big Bang.

Beginning to have my doubts about Cauchy and Albert, now ;)

Jon