7mm Mickoo's Commercial Workbench

simond

Western Thunderer
I spy with my little eye…. something that looks suspiciously like a brass nut on a buffer stem?

drop of Birchwood Casey?

sorry!

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I spy with my little eye…. something that looks suspiciously like a brass nut on a buffer stem?

drop of Birchwood Casey?

sorry!
Indeed you do, the buffers will all come out again to have the heads blackened and the bit of thread at the back. The nut being brass I've never managed to blacken well, even with the pukka stuff, so it'll get a good dose of black etch primer to make it scratch resistant and then three days later a full matt black coat.

They've only been fitted to test the springs and make sure the bores are fully clear of paint.

Last edited:

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Lets start again in the right thread :rolleyes: :headbang:

First of the Bulleids is back up on it's feet and rolling nicely. Next step is all the details and internal parts.

I've decided to go with micro magnets to hold the smokebox door closed, though just the small amount of paint that's got in the hinges is enough friction to hold it closed quite well.

IMG_5650.jpg

IMG_5651.jpg

IMG_5653.jpg

IMG_5654.jpg

cmax

Western Thunderer

First of the Bulleids is back up on it's feet and rolling nicely. Next step is all the details and internal parts.

I've decided to go with micro magnets to hold the smokebox door closed, though just the small amount of paint that's got in the hinges is enough friction to hold it closed quite well.

View attachment 209209

View attachment 209210

View attachment 209211

View attachment 209212
Stunning model Mick, absolutely stunning.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Giesl, couple of niggles in the roof, so some changes and another print on it's way with revisions and some tweaks to the machine settings.

The petticoat I can only do when I have the casing for Spitfire (test pig) done, then I can align everything and check gaps etc.

d4a326e3-2847-4491-8642-fccc058ad0b9.jpg

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Very impressive, as always. I can barely wait to see what embellishments you come up with for the new MOK re-built MN, in due course.
Dave.

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
From the RH connection on the superheater header to the inside cylinder valve chest (non-corrugated), just visible in Mick's photo.
Dave.
Oh, and seemingly from the LH end as well. Only the three pipes on a re-build.

John Walker

My apologies for jumping on this thread again but I am not sure where else to put this.

We started discussing my 3D printed resin centred Bulleid wheels here:

and progress continues. We have now produced a cast iron version from 3D printed waxes as shown below. Can anyone recommend a 3D printing resin for producing waxes on my Phrozen mini 8K or similar? More importantly can anyone recommend someone able to produce the waxes from my CAD in quantity and at a reasonable price.

The castings are designed to take an etch for the front plate similar to the Finney7 ones.

Regards
John Walker

Wheelset-1.jpg

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Jut for interest, how does the live steam get to the inside cylinder of an as-built engine?
From the RH connection on the superheater header to the inside cylinder valve chest (non-corrugated), just visible in Mick's photo.
Dave.
Oh, and seemingly from the LH end as well. Only the three pipes on a re-build.
That’s correct, three pipes on the rebuilds, four on the originals. The cente cylinder ones are approximately half the bore of the corrugated ones for the outside cylinders, hence two of them to get the same volume.

Originally the outside cylinder ones were smooth but suffered from fractures, the corrugated ones came later but I’m not sure all of the class received them.

Tim Watson

Western Thunderer
My apologies for jumping on this thread again but I am not sure where else to put this.

We started discussing my 3D printed resin centred Bulleid wheels here:

and progress continues. We have now produced a cast iron version from 3D printed waxes as shown below. Can anyone recommend a 3D printing resin for producing waxes on my Phrozen mini 8K or similar? More importantly can anyone recommend someone able to produce the waxes from my CAD in quantity and at a reasonable price.

The castings are designed to take an etch for the front plate similar to the Finney7 ones.

Regards
John Walker

View attachment 209459
That is looking like the basis of a very a very decent wheel.

Tim

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Giesl, couple of niggles in the roof, so some changes and another print on it's way with revisions and some tweaks to the machine settings.

The petticoat I can only do when I have the casing for Spitfire (test pig) done, then I can align everything and check gaps etc.

d4a326e3-2847-4491-8642-fccc058ad0b9.jpg

Errrrmmm, you haven't printed the ash deposits on the smokebox floor...... :eek: :)) :)

Tim Watson

Western Thunderer

View attachment 209209

View attachment 209210

View attachment 209211

View attachment 209212
A lovely piece of work. I remember years ago seeing an A3 built by John Edgson, featuring an opening smokebox door, run in to the Barnet Club’s Peterborough station layout: it stopped quite quickly and the smokebox door flew open. So I would definitely go with the magnet.

On a different point, I have made a Finney A4 and am looking at the MOK Merchant Navy re-release. As a complete novice 7mm modeller, and not wanting to offend anyone, but what are the differences between the two kit types?

Tim

John Walker

Hello Tim

I find the MOK kits easier to build because of the comprehensive arrangement of slots and twisted tabs. However you must follow the instructions to assemble them in the correct sequence or you just can't get the parts into position. Also the MOK kits don't have any push out rivets. I find them a curse especially in the thicker 7mm materials.

The MOK kits come with a comprehensive compensation system and they are all nickel silver.

The fit of the parts in both cases is exceptionally good. It beats me how Dave manages to get all those slots and tabs in the right place!

Rob Wigley is planning to talk to you about the Bulleid wheels at Ally Pally.

Regards
John Walker