Monks Ferry: a layout for the Grandchildren.

jonte

Western Thunderer
In between tackling a couple of jobs around the home, to say nothing of other distractions, thoughts have turned to a track plan for the traditional layout I’m planning, and for which I’ve already begun collecting items of track and stock.

Interrogation of the internet has thrown up one or two interesting ideas, although none provides wholly my list of wants, if indeed such a layout exists, or at least one which can be comfortably accommodated within the bounds of an average home.

To that end, and while attempting to muster the energy to finish off a stand of signals for my GWR themed micro, I’ve been doodling:

IMG_2024.jpeg

Without the risk of employing such space savers of gradients and curved points, this is probably the best I can offer for a plan which includes a small city terminus (think Blackfriars’) and a passing station for suburban or locos running light engine to the depot to be serviced (think Vauxhall). And of course, there has to be an obligatory circuit or two to maintain the interests of the children.

So there we have it for now, plus or minus the odd addition or rearrangement or two.

Planning will start with a scissors crossing of Hornby Express points purchased for the purpose, and a junction of two standard points and a diamond which will form the junction with the mainline. I think it the best place to start as I may have to angle the platforms to save on length, but in traditional fashion, mainline trains won’t be of prototypical length, talking of which, I’ve collected a Schools or two for the task.

A title?

I’m thinking Abbey Central, as I believe Fr. Christmas has gifted me a couple of Metcalfe Church kits and a Gaugemaster country church kit, an amalgam from which I’m hoping to produce a small cathedral along the lines of Southwark; with obligatory lights of course.

Pleased I’m a little nearer realising the dream, I’ll provide updates and possibly a final plan in the not too distant.

Cheers.

jonte

John57sharp

Western Thunderer
My first impression was that you might find the ”to be determined” to be quite a high number to fit the terminus in with the diagonal reversing line, so I wondered if the diagonal might somehow turn off the terminus lines and sneak off around the back to join up further on?

I like the cathedral idea too.

Best of luck!

John

jonte

Western Thunderer
My first impression was that you might find the ”to be determined” to be quite a high number to fit the terminus in with the diagonal reversing line, so I wondered if the diagonal might somehow turn off the terminus lines and sneak off around the back to join up further on?

I like the cathedral idea too.

Best of luck!

John

That occurred to me too, Johnny :(

A number of the old Hornby Dublo plans display the option you’ve described, if I’ve understood you correctly.

I think this is the sort of set-up you might be referring to, highlighted in yellow?:

IMG_2016.jpeg

Here are another couple of variants I roughed out:

IMG_2017.jpegIMG_2025.jpeg

In the first, I abandoned the initial return loop shown in black on the diagrams, for the reverse curve shown in yellow; it just gives an idea of another ‘layout’ of the same track plan.

The second shot shows a couple of the dreaded curved point variety, but at the modest speeds of trains entering/departing via a station throat, I don’t envisage it being too much of a problem, unlike on the faster mainline.

To be honest, John, I’m not too good at drawing stuff out, preferring to work with track formations in the flesh so to speak, so that I can visualise how stuff lies and their proportions; and of course, to tell if it’s just a bum steer.

A good friend has been suggesting the best of several other types of track plan I’ve sent him, but it’s a terminus I require essentially, and the problem is finding an ‘out and back’ with a loop to simply run trains, and one that doesn’t require a gradient forming for that reverse curve, which is generally portrayed running below the terminus. The gradient would simply be too steep in the limited space available :(

Hopefully I’ll have the track I listed earlier to hand in the next couple of days or so, so all being well all will be revealed; viable or otherwise…..

Thanks for your interest, John.

Jon

jonte

Western Thunderer
Do bear in mind that what works marvellously with Hornby Dublo might pose some irritations in 2-rail, as the diagonal will cause a short, unless an isolating/reversing section is arranged.

Sorry if Granny/eggs

atb
Simon
No problem, Simon. Thank you.

I’ll be using DCC so was going to plump for a return loop gizmo - forget the name :( - as belt n braces.

Jon

John57sharp

Western Thunderer
The yellow one at the top is exactly what I had in mind. Yes.

I have the same problem, it's easier to set things out and see how they look than imagine them. Procrastination doesn't help neither!

It's all good fun Cheers

jonte

Western Thunderer
I’ve been doodling again instead of doing some constructive modelling:

IMG_2028.jpeg

Yeah, I know: ‘Good luck fitting all that in!’

But I live in hope, buoyed by the measured templates offered by one or two kind souls out there what takes the trouble.

Hopefully, the double junction at the entry to the station throat will obviate the need for the reverse loop of the previous offering, and with it the auto-reverse polarity thingy I couldn’t remember the name of last time…. Time will tell on that one, of course; they don’t come cheap.

Btw: sadly, I doubt very much there’ll be room for the passing loops on the through station.

Cheers.

jonte

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Jonte,

I think the title that you are trying to forget is - Frog Juicer.

Nice plan by the way, I hope that it pans out.

regards

Mike

AdeMoore

Western Thunderer
Jon watching with interest. I’m stalled on mine at present I’m rubbish with laying track so I’ll see if I can pick up some tips here.

jonte

Western Thunderer
Jon watching with interest. I’m stalled on mine at present I’m rubbish with laying track so I’ll see if I can pick up some tips here.

Thanks, Ade :thumbs:

I disagree, Ade: your track laying looks fine to me and I very much doubt you’ll learn much here :(

Sorry to hear you’ve stalled but you’re not alone. Really struggling to muster the enthusiasm to finish the signals on my current project at present, but press on I must as I’ve promised to finish the task before commencing this one, which I’m hoping will be early in the new year.

Will try not to keep you waiting too long :)

Jon

Western Thunderer
All looks very Dublo to me as you have already noted. On mojos, I've come to the conclusion that I can only ever build exhibition layouts, a good deadline always gets me going. I'd never complete a home layout, but that's just me.
Tony

AdeMoore

Western Thunderer
Thanks, Ade :thumbs:

I disagree, Ade: your track laying looks fine to me and I very much doubt you’ll learn much here :(

Sorry to hear you’ve stalled but you’re not alone. Really struggling to muster the enthusiasm to finish the signals on my current project at present, but press on I must as I’ve promised to finish the task before commencing this one, which I’m hoping will be early in the new year.

Will try not to keep you waiting too long :)

Jon
Ummm! looks ok but derailments say otherwise . Also stuck in the shall I follow Rob Gunstone of Sheep Chronicles fame and rely on blades or get the points modified and wired. I want to do the former but I do have moments of doubt!
So just some signals to finish, piece of cake ‍ .
Looking forward to early in the new year.

Ade

jonte

Western Thunderer
All looks very Dublo to me as you have already noted. On mojos, I've come to the conclusion that I can only ever build exhibition layouts, a good deadline always gets me going. I'd never complete a home layout, but that's just me.
Tony
That’s both of us in the same boat, Tony; yet to complete one. However, there’s a deadline of sorts in as much as I have to complete this within a time frame lest the grandchildren become too old to enjoy it ;)

As for Dublo: will always be up there with the best as far as I’m concerned :)

Jon

jonte

Western Thunderer
Ummm! looks ok but derailments say otherwise . Also stuck in the shall I follow Rob Gunstone of Sheep Chronicles fame and rely on blades or get the points modified and wired. I want to do the former but I do have moments of doubt!

Ade
Don’t be too hard on yourself, Ade.

I believe those Hornby Pacifics can be a little temperamental on curves :thumbs:

In my limited experience, the biggest improvement - and simplest - amendment to make to Peco points is to bond the static part of the switch blade (that between the frog and the toe end) to its adjacent stockrail, so that you’re not relying on the contact of the blades with their adjacent stock rails for electrical continuity.

From memory, Peco provides a gap in the sleeper base to make the task easier

I’m sure I’m teaching my proverbial granny here, Ade, so please accept my humblest :oops:

Still, just in case, I think I might have a spare point knocking round to which I’ve made a similar adjustment, so I’ll try and dig it out and post up a photo which you’re free to ignore :thumbs:

Signals: you can keep ‘em :)) Coloured light signals this time round;)

Many thanks for your interest :thumbs:

Jon

jonte

Western Thunderer

Ade
Ade

Further to my last, I’ve traced a couple of photos which show a point with the amendment made as mentioned above.

They’re ringed in yellow:

IMG_0017.jpegIMG_1752.jpeg

Hope they help.

Jon

jonte

Western Thunderer
More doodlin’ whilst waiting for the kettle to boil:

IMG_2038.jpeg

Not sure whether an oval warrants a backscene; perhaps removable? Attached via clips or hinges with removable middle bits.

Maybe.

Just awaiting some bits of track to arrive to plan it all out.

Then, of course, the airing cupboard needs painting following the fitting of a new boiler …….

jonte

PS: probably going to run with plan 1.

dj_crisp

I cant see the latest image but prior to that looks good and fun!

I've been day dreaming the odd layout recently and then downloaded "anyrail" which is simple to use and has track libraries. It's amazing what I couldn't fit in Vs my hand drawn efforts!