Mr Grumpy

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Not much room if one was using two motors and an XL decoder.

As long as you use two low current motors i.e. Canon 1833 as in your Cl.22 there is no need to use a LokSound XL decoder. You can use the LokSound L V4.0 instead which is much cheaper than the XL.

Having a continuous load of 3A on the motor output it makes it suitable for twin motor O scale locomotives and is more than adequate for modern low current motors. It also gives you peace of mind if you are concerned about using the standard HO V4.0 decoder for dual motored locos. ESU's additional information guide for the LokSound L 4.0 is attached and apologies if you have already seen it.

The LokSound L was designed to fill the gap between the HO V4.0 and XL.

As Cliff says above - if you mount the decoder to the body (I would also attach the speaker to the body as well) you will not disturb any lighting (or sound) wiring looms. All you would need is a 4 pin connector from the track and motor to the decoder meaning you only have one loom to fiddle with when attaching the body to the chassis. This is my intention with my P48 GP9 but a tad more difficult as it has a long narrow hood like a Cl.20 rather than a wide body (the latter known as cowl units in the US).

Nice diesel builds :thumbs:. Now a guessing game as to what follows the Cl.22.......:)?

Attachments

• 03215-16485_Additional_information_LokSound_L_V4.0_LokSound_Select_L_Auflage-2_eBook.pdf
    794.2 KB · Views: 5

Mr Grumpy

Western Thunderer
The wiring is complete now. There isn't any lighting on the loco, so just the motor and speaker.
The chassis runs very quietly and smoothly, until you turn on that nice big speaker..:)

Last edited:

Cliff Williams

Western Thunderer
The Loksound L strikes me as a poor halfway house.
The speaker output is abysmal and it does not have stay alive ability.
Once you add on a stay alive pack financially the difference is not enough when you factor in the lower sound output.

I use the Loksound L only in tanks with bigger old fashioned motors. Otherwise go for the XL

I do not think Grumpy it is practical to use twin CJW speakers on the small "OO" sized V4 chip.

Mr Grumpy

Western Thunderer
The roof and body are now sprayed , and the window surrounds have had their first coat. One of the quarter light Windows pushed in while I was masking up, but I managed to pull it back with a bit of tape and a tiny drop of glue.
The radiator and fan grilles and other castings have yet to be fitted, but I'm on the home straight:)
The radiator block and roof fan aperture have been painted in a nice filthy mix as this won't be a clean loco!
image.jpeg

Mr Grumpy

Western Thunderer
I have a few packs of CPL couplings, but none matched those fitted to the class 22 in the early years. I think I could have used the top 1/2 of a diesel coupling and the bottom 1/2 of a wagon coupling as I did on my MMP B tanks. Working out at around £16.00 this option is a tad pricey, so I decided to have a go at the JLTRT set supplied.

Sometimes, the JLTRT coupling need a lot of fettling to get them to work and look ok. These were no exception, and required the use of my 12BA taps and dies, and a lot of patience. But it was nice to spark up the soldering iron again :)
Anyway, they came up fine as the photo shows.......

IMG_4985.jpeg

The eagle eyed amongst you will notice the reporting disks aren't fitted yet. The lost wax disks supplied are fine, if a little thick, so I'm going to try my hand at these working variety, again from JLTRT.

I'm not 100& convinced with the handrails, and may replace them with fine wire. The strange thing is, when you don't want something to fall out or off it will (Glazing) when you want something to come off......
IMG_4986.jpeg

Healey Mills

Western Thunderer
Hi Richard,

The loco is looking very nice indeed.

I shall be watching how you get along with those etched headcode discs... it's something I've thought about myself.

Cheers
Lee

Mr Grumpy

Western Thunderer
Hi Richard,

The loco is looking very nice indeed.

I shall be watching how you get along with those etched headcode discs... it's something I've thought about myself.

Cheers
Lee
Laurie told me they are very fiddly :confused:
But then so are the couplings :)

But that's the fun of it!

Mr Grumpy

Western Thunderer
Hi again Lee,
I have found the lamp holes are too big on the etched disks for my loco, so I won't be using them :(
It's a shame because they are a really nice etch, and would have looked great even if they were just posed in the open or closed position.
So, back to the cast set!

Mr Grumpy

Western Thunderer
MMP offer a diesel detailing set of etches & castings, lots of useful detailing parts including 8 etched disks

Dave
Thanks for the tip Dave!
I have just come in from spraying the cast disks. I need to simulate a lamp lens behind the open disks (only one at each end.... passenger/mixed train and branch freight at the other end)
I will pop them on later and see how they look :)

Healey Mills

Western Thunderer
I need to simulate a lamp lens behind the open disks (only one at each end.... passenger/mixed train and branch freight at the other end)
I will pop them on later and see how they look :)

Hi Richard,

For lamp lenses I use some 1.7mm fibre optic. Just shape into a dome on one end, cut and having drilled out the moulded light place into position.

Cheers
Lee

Mr Grumpy

Western Thunderer
Sorry, I can't post photos at present :(
They upload elsewhere but not on here. I will get the camera out and try to upload from the laptop.
Anyway, the discs and transfers are on, and I'm quite pleased. I will fit the wipers and rad grille during weathering. I'm still debating replacing the cab handrails too.

Healey Mills

Western Thunderer
Hi Richard,

That's a very nice job.... I guess you are going to start weathering it in a few days time.

I wonder why the headcode discs were initially put onto the locos on their sides??? Although that is how I know they were, they look odd. Well to me anyway :D

A fine build!!!

Cheers
Lee

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Mr G.

Apologies for being a bit late in putting these on your thread in case they might be of help.

D6324.  Swindon Works.  May 1959.  Personal Collection.  Photo Brian Dale.  FINAL - Copy.jpg D6325.  Swindon Works.  May 1959.  Personal Collection.  Photo Brian Dale.  FINAL - Copy.jpg

Both brand new at Swindon in May 1959. I wonder if I saw D6327 at the same time.

Just a query - those air intakes (grilles on the side - I'll guess that's what they are but as I'm not a diesel-o-phile I can't be sure) are quite chunky with the bars going across them. Will these receive a cover of some sort eventually?

Brian

Mr Grumpy

Western Thunderer
Mr G.

Apologies for being a bit late in putting these on your thread in case they might be of help.

View attachment 59202 View attachment 59203

Both brand new at Swindon in May 1959. I wonder if I saw D6327 at the same time.

Just a query - those air intakes (grilles on the side - I'll guess that's what they are but as I'm not a diesel-o-phile I can't be sure) are quite chunky with the bars going across them. Will these receive a cover of some sort eventually?

Brian
Hi Brian,
Many thanks for the photos! I wish I had started taking (and KEEPING!) photos far earlier than I did :(

The radiator intake is now nicely covered with a fine etched grille.:thumbs:
Makers plates will be fitted after varnishing

IMG_4988.jpeg

Last edited: