Magazine MRJ Thread

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
Hi Mick,

I have read your article - really enjoyable:):thumbs:

Your models and weathering etc. look totally credible and very realistic/believable - superb in fact!:thumbs::bowdown: I like the way that you used chain on the doors (thanks for the link too) - I have a few kits awaiting such and tbqh I never really liked the idea of using twisted wire just so as to replace moulded chain-link detail (which on certain kits looks better than twisted wire to my eye) - no value judgements here, as I love the work that most MRJ contributors submit:thumbs::bowdown: (even if it has twisted wire substituting moulded on chain :))).

David's wagon detailing products are a really super idea, I really love using his Mainline Diesel detailing parts:thumbs:

Every time I make a model, look at the bits I dont like, whilst keeping an eye on the bigger - layout building - picture, someone comes along with something better and/or a new detail product, just as I have finished the model, inc the painting and weathering, making me wish that I had better skills and/or tried harder, waited, yet procrastination is an old enemy of mine, so I shall plod on:D

I am still not sure if I am inspired or afraid of S7, as I find 7mm FS challenging enough:oops::eek: Looking at such superb work sometimes depresses me into thinking that I could never achieve such high standards, yet I usually dust myself off and try to do better next time and keep on buying MRJ:thumbs::))

Just to say, after having a few articles published over the years, that many of the mags editorial and admin teams are always pretty busy and the complementary copy etc. doesnt, often, turn up, until the next issue is out and I end up buying one so as to read - the final cut of - my own work:D

ATVB

CME:)

Apologies CME as this is a late reply as I missed your message earlier but to say, thanks for your very kind comments. If its any consolation I share your feelings on the matter. Is anyone ever truly one hundred percent happy with their own modelling ? I bet even the greats are always looking for new techniques and ways to improve. It is this unhappiness that drives us and motivates us to be better, so I would say embrace it and accept it. The day when you finish something and can look and say there's absolutely nothing I would do different or better next time? I also agree in as much as at some point you need I draw the line at levels of detail and the amount of time spent on each model, especially for layout models and not show case ones. Only time will tell if I can achieve this,

ATB Mick

Ps I can't do smiley's on the I-phone or I would have stuck a few in

adrian

Flying Squad
Ps I can't do smiley's on the I-phone or I would have stuck a few in
Actually you can do smilies on the iPhone as long as you know the short code. For example colon followed by o is :eek: , colon D is big grin :D , ROFL is colon )) :)) . I can post a full list when I get home. :thumbs:

n.b. posted from my iPhone ;)

S

Simon Dunkley

You can always open a new browser window, go to free smileys.org, and select and copy the forum code, before pasting it, thus:

I selected this one in honour of Buckjumper...

daifly

Western Thunderer
Just read MRJ 220. One of the better editions of late IMHO. I, too, enjoyed Mick's wagon article and also Martin Goodall's item about back scenes. It made more sense too when I twigged that the two perspective captions were with the wrong drawings!

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
*I have no issue with anyone who says, "I don't have the time/skills/confidence/inclination to build things myself, so I pay others to do it for me," but to claim that such an approach is a "modelling project" seems to be a taking things a little bit too far...

Agree with you Simon, a little bit like a "project manager" on a house build that know nothing about construction, interfere and then tell their friends that they built there own home.:rolleyes:
I'm not saying that's the case with that article but I thought it was a waste of two pages in MRJ, and I'm not really interested in how much money he has to spend on housing his project.

The rest of the this edition I thought was good, and excellent work from Mick, top draw mate:thumbs:.

Col.:)

Osgood

Western Thunderer
The only complaint I have about MRJ is that it is often difficult to establish what scale is being modelled, which can be more than a little frustrating, even when you turn it into a challenge to guess what it is.

I tend to skim read bits that initially grab my attention (one spin-off from this is I can enjoy reading the same magazine many, many times over :) - or is that my appalling memory.....), and I am certain that many times there is no mention of scale, especially in subsequent parts of multi-part articles.

Having seen a couple of articles in the past by Peter Kazer on his Ratty modelling, I've just received his book Narrow Gauge Adventure (so no time for procrastination today then!) and am totally gobsmacked to discover he models to 1/48th 3ft - I was expecting 16mm or something, given the quality of his work and photography of same!! Great book by the way.

Long may MRJ continue to inspire (and frustrate) (and demotivate) (and inspire again!).

adrian

Flying Squad
MRJ 220

Well the synapses have finally connected and I've remembered why the Llanberis article was ringing a bell in the back of my head.

For those interested there are a couple more shots in the GOG Gazette - May 2011 issue. There is a two page spread showing the "novel Mobile Storage Space for your layout" proposing the use of an insulated trailer as a railway room.

S

Simon Dunkley

The only complaint I have about MRJ is that it is often difficult to establish what scale is being modelled, which can be more than a little frustrating, even when you turn it into a challenge to guess what it is.
That, surely, is a credit to the builders: too often one can make an accurate guess as to scale just by looking at the photos.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
MRJ 224, just flicked through my copy, I'll read it properly later. Main feature Llanberis, hhmm,
I do hope that it is going to get some weathering:rolleyes: especially the track ballast and shiny check rails all ways stand out like sore thumbs . I won't go into my aversion to shiny loco's and stock here as I probably do that too often:)).

Liked the EM brake vans, some good model making and the Hobby Holidays wagon chassis kit looked superb ( I like components that work like the prototype)

As for the Loco's from Lee Marsh's stable they are nice models but I still find it hard to see how everyone involved in the production can earn anything from it going by the prices in the ad on the back cover. I do hope the Korean girls get a half decent wage for their work, some how I doubt it.

Col.

Simon

Flying Squad
MRJ 226 has just arrived in "da shop".

Two highlights for me are the editorial by Paul Karau and seeing Martin (Pugsley)'s superb 7mm scale model of 37 415 being featured on the cover and inside of what is a great issue.

Well done Martin:thumbs:

Simon

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
Wow! I had no idea it was going to be on the cover. How cool is that!

I'm looking forward to my copy landing on the doormat even more than usual this time :D