Magazine MRJ Thread

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the kind comments fellas, to be honest I'm a bit frustrated as I'm looking at waiting about a week until MRJ lands in WH Smith. It's never been a problem before but with this one I wanted to get my hands on ASAP! Oh well patience is a virtue and all that,

ATB Mick

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the kind comments fellas, to be honest I'm a bit frustrated as I'm looking at waiting about a week until MRJ lands in WH Smith. It's never been a problem before but with this one I wanted to get my hands on ASAP! Oh we'll patience is a virtue and all that,

ATB Mick
Mick,
Would you like me to post a copy from Peter's stock, if I post Monday you'll have it next day mate.

Col.

Buckjumper

Flying Squad
Mick,
Would you like me to post a copy from Peter's stock, if I post Monday you'll have it next day mate.

I've just thought of a great way of liberating the sausage rolls...

On topic... Is it just me or has issue 220 come round really quickly? It doesn't seem that long ago that issue numbers were still in double figures.

S

Simon Dunkley

Is it just me or has issue 220 come round really quickly? It doesn't seem that long ago that issue numbers were still in double figures.
It's just you.
Age-related: it happens to us all, even (once-)young whipper-snappers like you.

djparkins

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the kind comments fellas, to be honest I'm a bit frustrated as I'm looking at waiting about a week until MRJ lands in WH Smith. It's never been a problem before but with this one I wanted to get my hands on ASAP! Oh we'll patience is a virtue and all that,

ATB Mick

Mick -

Surely they will send you a 'Voucher' copy as a contributor! Together with that large cheque for the article!!!

Regards,

DJP

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
Mick,

Col.

Thanks for the offer Col but I may wait and see if I get a 'voucher' copy next week through the post as David says. No cheque or voucher copy arrived yet David. I'm hoping to squeeze it past the wife into the bank and put it towards some of those new kits of yours. Bet she gets a grip of if though, she doesn't miss much !

ATB Mick

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the offer Col but I may wait and see if I get a 'voucher' copy next week through the post as David says. No cheque or voucher copy arrived yet David. I'm hoping to squeeze it past the wife into the bank and put it towards some of those new kits of yours. Bet she gets a grip of if though, she doesn't miss much !

ATB Mick
No prob's mate I'll just send up the emergency sausage roll :eek:.

ATB, Col.

Tappa

Western Thunderer
Mick - you'll not have time to read issue 220 when those 200 or so back issues land in your lap in a few weeks!

Jeff

S

Simon Dunkley

Surely they will send you a 'Voucher' copy as a contributor! Together with that large cheque for the article!!!
From which we can only surmise that you have not (yet) written anything for them!

It was a really good piece, though - unlike the majority of the articles, which I felt promised more than they delivered*, it was worth the pages it took up.

*I have no issue with anyone who says, "I don't have the time/skills/confidence/inclination to build things myself, so I pay others to do it for me," but to claim that such an approach is a "modelling project" seems to be a taking things a little bit too far...

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
From which we can only surmise that you have not (yet) written anything for them!

It was a really good piece, though - unlike the majority of the articles, which I felt promised more than they delivered*, it was worth the pages it took up.

*I have no issue with anyone who says, "I don't have the time/skills/confidence/inclination to build things myself, so I pay others to do it for me," but to claim that such an approach is a "modelling project" seems to be a taking things a little bit too far...

Thanks very much for the kind comments Simon, as long as some people enjoy it that's all that matters:thumbs: Shame the thread on RM web doesn't read as well :headbang: :)) ( opens can of worm and retreats to the back of the class ),

ATB Mick

Pennine MC

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the offer Col but I may wait and see if I get a 'voucher' copy next week through the post as David says.

Picked my mag up yesterday, Mick. Looks very good at first glance, but maybe I'll wait 'til you've got yours to read it properly;)

S

Simon Dunkley

Thanks very much for the kind comments Simon, as long as some people enjoy it that's all that matters:thumbs: Shame the thread on RM web doesn't read as well :headbang: :)) ( opens can of worm and retreats to the back of the class ),

ATB Mick
Nah: I already done that. ;)

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I am still not sure if I am inspired or afraid of S7, as I find 7mm FS challenging enough:oops::eek: Looking at such superb work sometimes depresses me into thinking that I could never achieve such high standards

S7 is just a set of wheel and track standards. It matters not if you don't meet the skills of other modellers as long as you're happy. Don't let yourself get into the mindset that you'll never be good enough, because if you do you'll never do anything. If you don't try new things, you'll never learn how to master them.

I've be an S7 member for more years than I care to remember, and yet I still gape in awe at the work of others - both in and out of the Group. I know I may never achieve such results, but I am mostly fairly happy with the standards I can achieve. I get better all the time, which is part of the fun. I've read Mick's article, and gazed in wonder at the finished results. If I set my mind to it, I know I could do what Mick has done, but another part of me knows that if I went down that route I'd never really finish anything properly again. I know my limitations, and generally work within them, gently nudging at my boundaries every now and then. ;)

S

Simon Dunkley

CME,

To echo Heather's comments, it is just a matter of mindset. You might also find some things easier in S7 than in F/S, for example fitting a boiler between driving wheels, locating splashes correctly, or having hem to the correct width, etc.

Building track, etc, to the required standards is fairly straightforward: you use the appropriate gauges. Providing you take the same care in construction that any decent modeller would take, you would be fine.

john lewsey

Western Thunderer
Hi I have to agree Heather I model in scale Severn only because of the gauge . For me it's all about 4ft 8 1/2 anything else is less .so whether I modelled in f/s or scale Severn my models would be to the same standard . The best that I can do better than some worse than others. I to marvel at what some people make on this forum there is some stunning work and what is nice about this space is the advice and encouragement people offer. Another thing I do like is whether a model is OO or P4. f/S or scale Severn there is always encouragement .you can only do your best because that's the best that you can do

john lewsey

Western Thunderer
I do know where your coming from I would hope that I reach the station of average modeller believe me I struggle to put engines together I can get them to run ok it's all of the foldy bits of the body that gets me but I have taken the plunge and put some photos of some of my stuff on Hartley Hill and the other side of the fence .Grahams always pushing me to post stuff on WT . I've just got my Precursor Tank running ok so once I can figure out how to do it I will post a short video of it running
Think of it this way if you make something you've done a lot more than someone who hasn't