Magazine MRJ Thread

Pennine MC

Western Thunderer
MRJ 208

Simon Dunkley said:
*Adrian, to his credit, was more concerned about the copyright for the photo than about the modelling. I was personally offended by being made to appear to have taken credit for someone else's work.

You might not remember but I once felt the need to post clarification on RMweb of something like that, in response to your post.  I'd been liaising with DEMU over the appearance of 'Cully' at Burton, and perhaps because of that, the guide incorrectly credited the layout to me.  As if that wasnt enough, the 'Traction' modelling supplement then followed suit.  I was keen enough to correct the said incorrect impression, but it wasnt particularly helpful in view of group politics at the time ::)

Simon Dunkley said:
*I hold to the view that forums do not prevent/distract anyone from modelling: if they wanted to do some modelling enough, they would do it rather than finding a useful distraction...

And an excellent view it is ;)

Buckjumper

Flying Squad
MRJ 208

Simon Dunkley said:
...and indeed waffling on forums*!

*I hold to the view that forums do not prevent/distract anyone from modelling: if they wanted to do some modelling enough, they would do it rather than finding a useful distraction...

I resemble that comment. ;)

28ten

Guv'nor
MRJ 208

CME & Bottlewasher said:
+1 :thumbs:

The reason why I stopped buying MRJ - on subscription - is that, with a few problems with subs/missing mags and broken promises on their part - all is forgiven :thumbs: :D - some stuff was just too esoteric/elitist (although I am the first to advocate that there is much to be learnt from other's work what ever the scale/gauge/era etc..) and that whilst very good the same faces/layouts etc. were always featured.

Im the opposite, I want more esoteric and elitist stuff in the magazine, to me that is its forte, there are scores of mags covering the wider hobby. I notice the trend in military mags for expensive colour magazines featuring detailed reviews, projects and eye candy, id be all over a railway mag of that sort of standard.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
MRJ 208

28ten said:
Im the opposite, I want more esoteric and elitist stuff in the magazine, to me that is its forte, there are scores of mags covering the wider hobby. I notice the trend in military mags for expensive colour magazines featuring detailed reviews, projects and eye candy, id be all over a railway mag of that sort of standard.
Well said that man, thats exactly what most, if not all people I know want from MRJ, If it was cutting edge when it came out then it should be now :headbang:, :thumbs:

Col.

Pennine MC

Western Thunderer
MRJ 208

Ah, the familiar and well trodden territory of what would make the perfect mag 8) 

Joking aside, do I sense that the undertow here is not the usual one, i.e in favour of either the late lamented MORRILL or  a British version of Model Railroader?

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
MRJ 208

Now if they were to bring back Modellers Backtrack :thumbs: I'd buyit even if it was wrapped in plastic....oops sorry wrong thread :))

Col.

Buckjumper

Flying Squad
MRJ 208

Much as I loved MORILL (and RailDigest) at the time, and recognise there was, and perhaps still is a niche there to be exploited which none of the current crop of monthlies hits regularly enough, instead, from a purely selfish POV, I'd now much rather see a model magazine soaring above even MRJ, consistently raising the bar, dovetailing the quality and depth of articles found in, for example, Railway Archive or Midland Record.

Of course it would be met with wailing and gnashing of teeth, foaming of the chops and howls of 'elitism' from some quarters (not on this forum I suspect) but I happen to enjoy seeing modelling that goes beyond what I am capable of doing right now. Far from wanting to hide under the covers and give up it energises me to try harder.

As Col points out, Modeller's Backtrack was excellent, but I think the general quality of modelling has been raised since then, and from some quarters we're experiencing another putsch. Whatever your opinions of, say, Norris' layout, Heckmondwyke, or Hursley, (yes, I know their - perceived to some - accomplishments divide the modelling fraternity) and despite, for example, Heckmondwyke's shortcomings beyond the railway fence, it changed irrevocably what came after, even if it took a long time to get the ball rolling.

However, I don't see any publisher in the near future poking this with a pointy stick, and certainly not in the present economic climate. Perhaps, after all, it's right that in the age of the internet it's forums like this and others where that bar is being raised and I'm being inspired.

Nevertheless, a perfect-bound, (glossy 150gsm) quarterly or even twice-yearly Railway Modeller's Record or Railway Modeller's Archive appeals greatly...

adrian

Flying Squad
MRJ 208

28ten said:
Im the opposite, I want more esoteric and elitist stuff in the magazine, to me that is its forte, there are scores of mags covering the wider hobby.
Me too! I'm keen to see anyone pushing the boundaries, unfortunately MRJ does seem to be a bit of a clique and as such their outlook does appeared blinkered at times.
Adrian

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
MRJ 208

At the risk of appearing to be kissing ones buttocks, with the likes of Adrian and Colin, amongst the others at the top of their game, have we just reached the top of the tree within ourselves? Why would we need to buy a magazine when we can see them in real life down in Sudbury on a Sunday monthly meeting?

Have we reached the limit? Where do we go from here?

JB.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
MRJ 208

Scale7JB said:
"Have we reached the limit? Where do we go from here?"

JB.
I think there's more to come JB, I know we are at a stage were we can add every last detail on a fitting right down to the nut and washer holding it on, this being possible with the CAD/3D printing and machining etc. but one direction seems to be gaining ground is control, we've started with DCC and sound and I can see technology getting rid of current collection through the rails, and I would love to see realistic exhaust, both diesel and steam :scratch: :thumbs:

On a less serious note I prefer boots not buttocks :)) :)) :)) :))

ATB, Col
P.S. Your working brakes got me inspired Mate :bowdown: :thumbs: hope you cleaned yer boots :)) :))

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
MRJ 208

eastsidepilot said:
it was nice to read an article in the latest MRJ, by Geoff Holt, entitled "In Defence of a Dying Art" standing up for scratch building, ATB, Col

I have not seen Geoff's article, but I was with Geoff yesterday at the North Wales & West Cheshire Group meeting at Llanbedr and his work is always a picture to behold - here as a selection of some of his work that has been seen at Llanbedr:

Attachments

• IMG_0971-1.JPG
    IMG_0971-1.JPG
    366 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0980.JPG
    IMG_0980.JPG
    443.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1310.JPG
    IMG_1310.JPG
    279.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1947-2.JPG
    IMG_1947-2.JPG
    205 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2268.JPG
    IMG_2268.JPG
    313.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2269.JPG
    IMG_2269.JPG
    317.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2273.JPG
    IMG_2273.JPG
    190.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2276.JPG
    IMG_2276.JPG
    189.4 KB · Views: 8

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
MRJ 208

Scale7JB said:
Why would we need to buy a magazine when we can see them in real life down in Sudbury on a Sunday monthly meeting?

Maybe because some of us live too far from Sudbury / Retford / / Llanbedr / Bugglsekelly to make the trip?  Reading a decent article which draws the reader into the subject can may one feel as if he/she "belongs" and that can be an important driver to some modellers.

regards, Graham

Has JB talked himself into providing a monthly video report on WMR?

S

Simon Dunkley

MRJ 208

adrian said:
unfortunately MRJ does seem to be a bit of a clique
How so? On what basis? The "clique" may simply reflect the limited number of people prepared to write and submit articles, in the absence of which they are inevitably reliant upon the contacts (and the contacts' contacts) of the various editors, plus things they may come across on the web and at exhibitions. I have already put Barry in touch with someone (on here) whose work will appear at some point in the future, but probably not before the end of next year. Does that make WT a clique?
(Said future author, despite my constant critical support, was surprised that his work was "suitable" for MRJ: how wrong he was...)

28ten

Guv'nor
MRJ 208

CME & Bottlewasher said:
Hi Cynric :wave:

So you want to see that same faces/layouts over and over again, even the one's that in reality dont work properly when used in anger?! :eek: :))

ATB

CME :wave:
No, there are lots of people out there doing 'MRJ standard' work sadly much of it never makes the publication either because they are not part of the  'club' or more likely they are busy making stuff and can't be arsed writing magazine articles  :))

Simon Dunkley said:
How so? On what basis? The "clique" may simply reflect the limited number of people prepared to write and submit articles, in the absence of which they are inevitably reliant upon the contacts (and the contacts' contacts) of the various editors, plus things they may come across on the web and at exhibitions. I have already put Barry in touch with someone (on here) whose work will appear at some point in the future, but probably not before the end of next year. Does that make WT a clique?
(Said future author, despite my constant critical support, was surprised that his work was "suitable" for MRJ: how wrong he was...)

I agree, all clubs/groups/internet forums have/are cliques in one form or another, the accusation depends on the individuals position  :))

S

Simon Dunkley

MRJ 208

eastsidepilot said:
but one direction seems to be gaining ground is control, we've started with DCC and sound and I can see technology getting rid of current collection through the rails,
I think MRJ has been slow on the uptake, there, and the idea of digital control goes back to ZeroOne (sadly, just one year too early in terms of a better form of technology becoming available) and things like CTC16 in the US, leading to Lenz and the NMRA specifications for DCC.

I agree about wireless connection, but the system needs to be thought through: direct connection from controller to loco leads to problems, so a base unit is preferable to maintain control.
There is already a CV which means the control system can be changed to suit periodic commands rather than constant updating, i.e., "Carry on doing what the last command said until you get a new one," which would be useful. All that is really need is a simple bluetooth (or similar) base unit which plugs into the command unit (allowing pairing of controllers and receivers with the base unit) and then plug in bluetooth units for controllers, loco modules and accessory modules. On board batteries would be a doddle, and can even be kept charged up with a trickle charge via the rails, perhaps available only where locos stand for lengths of time: platform ends, loco depots, fiddle yards and storage roads, for example. The need to worry about wiring of points etc then becomes a thing of the past.

All to the good: I just wish I had the time to work out how to do the bluetooth bit - done this way, the concept is manufacturer independent and makes nothing other than current radio control and IR systems redundant.

Pennine MC

Western Thunderer
MRJ 208

28ten said:
No, there are lots of people out there doing 'MRJ standard' work sadly much of it never makes the publication either because they are not part of the  'club' or more likely they are busy making stuff and can't be arsed writing magazine articles :))

I can certainly identify with that last bit  :))

I agree, all clubs/groups/internet forums have/are cliques in one form or another, the accusation depends on the individuals position  :))

True enough, it's only human nature and group dynamics at work. I'd agree that the concept of a 'clique' comes more readily to those on the outside of it, but it is possible for a small group of like-minded people to unwittingly become blind to legitimate (but inconvenient) concerns.  That's not intended to be  a loaded comment BTW, it's just a scenario that I can see both sides of.