Magazine MRJ Thread

Simon

Flying Squad
Went to the Exeter show on Saturday when I finally got to collect the 0-99 collection of MRJs that I bought back in the summer. (I really couldn't recommend Kernow delivery for its service - the price was good though)

I already had quite a few of the earlier ones but have just spent a couple of hours reading through the sub #50 issues starting with the MRJ Exhibition at Central Hall - most enjoyable and much more now in store. Whilst individual issues can vary I remain deeply impressed by the consistent quality and interest that Model Railway Journal has and still does deliver - it really is an institution without which the modelling world would be very much the poorer.

That said, if/when Paul stops producing it I would like to think that some enterprising soul will start a new venture to satisfy everyone's elitist itch. I expect that the biggest obstacle to be overcome by then will be the ability to write in proper English:(

Simon

PS Lest anyone should think me a language fascist, I will add that I am quite happy and very well qualified to talk utter b*ll*cks, I would just rather not pay to read it:p

Geoff

Western Thunderer
I should imagine that little lot cost you a tidy sum Simon but no doubt you are finding them worth every penny. Rather than waste my money on the other magazines now available I dust down the old MRJs and read them again and again. Having started a No.0 a few months ago I am now up to No.42 having enjoyed every single issue.

Geoff

Old Buffer

Western Thunderer
Got 210 today, a quick look through it and it seems to be better than the last few, will save it for a bedtime read.
Alan

Simon

Flying Squad
I should imagine that little lot cost you a tidy sum Simon but no doubt you are finding them worth every penny. Rather than waste my money on the other magazines now available I dust down the old MRJs and read them again and again. Having started a No.0 a few months ago I am now up to No.42 having enjoyed every single issue.

Geoff

Hi Geoff

Yes, they cost a fair bit - although by the time I've sold off my duplicates the net cost should come down a bit.

But, as you say, worth every penny either way:)

One thing I really enjoy is being able to track the different subjects in the letters pages backwards and forwards across the years.

Latest "discovery" is a set of articles on turning wheels in a lathe that even I might be able to follow.

More top quality reading tonight.....

Simon

S

Simon Dunkley

Ah yes, I found your most witty cricketing letter in issue forty something - was that your first contribtion to this august journal?
Oh yes. BB liked it a lot:4 puns in 2 sentences...

Sadly, I can only usually manage half the wit... :)

Pennine MC

Western Thunderer
Oh yes. BB liked it a lot:4 puns in 2 sentences...

Sadly, I can only usually manage half the wit... :)

And nothing that rhymes with it?:)

I recall referring to one of your letters in one wot I rote - something to do with the validity of one's memories and a Martin Welch editorial, IIRC

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
- a fine foil to the previous issue and Martin Finney's contention that modelling a real place will yield the ultimate model.

Not blue but definitely bostin:p

I do hope that Martin Finney is going to weather his stock and the layout in general, he does mention that it is "work in progress" and it would not be an ultimate model if he does not.... ex works paint jobs and shiny buffers don't do it for me.:headbang:

Col.

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
I do hope that Martin Finney is going to weather his stock and the layout in general, he does mention that it is "work in progress" and it would not be an ultimate model if he does not.... ex works paint jobs and shiny buffers don't do it for me
Me neither - I'm glad I'm not the only one who looked at his layout and thought similar!

adrian

Flying Squad
Yes, they cost a fair bit - although by the time I've sold off my duplicates the net cost should come down a bit.
But, as you say, worth every penny either way:)
You may even turn a profit! I was missing half a dozen of the early issues including No. 6, when by chance I saw in the local railway bookshop issues 0-50 for £70. He wouldn't separate them so I bought the lot, sold the duplicates separately on ebay and made £20 profit!

S

Simon Dunkley

Hi Geoff
Latest "discovery" is a set of articles on turning wheels in a lathe that even I might be able to follow.
I remember those: they gave me ideas for re-profiling G1 wheels, an article on which process was put on the FS32SG Yahoogroups files section, and which also appeared on a website somewhere.

Wasn't yours, was it, Simon? :D

I recall referring to one of your letters in one wot I rote - something to do with the validity of one's memories and a Martin Welch editorial, IIRC
I remember the event, but can't remember what it was about.
Do I owe you shake of the hand, a pint, or a kick in the shins over it?

28ten

Guv'nor
I picked up a copy today, the thing that struck me was how clean Dewsbury is, it seems to suffer the from the same problem as Semley ..... Too damn clean. Are pre grouping modellers afraid to add abit of dirt to locos and stock?

Simon

Flying Squad
Hi Cynric

Great to see you today and thanks for bringing your "noisy toys" - they were great!

I reckon the answer to your question is yes, possibly because the liverie are more complicated and weathering is seen as a risk? Get it right and the model is greatly improved, but get it wrong and you have messed up a tricky paint job.

Mind you, I can't even get around to or be brave enough to weather my BR toad, which in plain grey is hardly a problem.

On the other hand I have weathered my S&D wagons and it does make the older liveries look more "credible".

All part of the fabulous journey and series of peaks to climb that this hobby presents us with I guess.

Taking that analogy further I do like gazing at far horizons:rolleyes:

Simon

Old Buffer

Western Thunderer
I picked up a copy today, the thing that struck me was how clean Dewsbury is, it seems to suffer the from the same problem as Semley ..... Too damn clean. Are pre grouping modellers afraid to add abit of dirt to locos and stock?
Yes guv I noticed yet again how clean it was, and the same applies to Ellerton Road, I think they must be showcase layouts.
Alan

28ten

Guv'nor
Yes guv I noticed yet again how clean it was, and the same applies to Ellerton Road, I think they must be showcase layouts.
Alan
I might be wrong but I think some of the group have worked on both layouts, possibly with shared stock.
Simon, yes I can see the reluctance to attack a £500 paint job :)

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
..... Too damn clean. Are pre grouping modellers afraid to add abit of dirt to locos and stock?
I think that you're right Guv', but I find it strange that somebody would want to get everything correct down to the last bit of lining and number of rivets but not finish it realistically to run on a layout. Different if it's in a showcase perhaps, everyone to there own I suppose:confused:

As I mentioned in another post I used to restore classic motor cycles and I would ride them, through the winter as well, they would get filthy dirty and you would not believe the abuse I got from so called enthusiasts, who when asked why they didn't ride their's through all weathers, explained how much money they had spent on it ! but it's a machine I would say, that's what it's for....in one ear and out the other:headbang:

OK rant over:D

Col.

S

Simon Dunkley

Come to East Ham on 5/6 November, or Wigan 5 weeks later, and you can see weathered pre-group stock running on East Lynn and Nunstanton!
And he paints, letters and lines everything himself after building it himself...

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
I definitely hope to be at the East Ham show as it's 15 minutes down the road from me... looking forward to it in fact..!

Simon

Flying Squad
Apologies for this, and feel free to remove if you think it inappropriate Cynric, but I have just read this on the 7mm Yahoo Group, in a thread entitled "Disgusted with MRJ":

Hello All,

I've just seen the latest MRJ edition. This is the first one I have ever seen of
this journal, not being into magazines, which I only buy when I see something
that is of interest to me.

Having been told that this was an "elitist" journal, my first impression of the
MRJ was one of real disappointment.

Whilst the front cover looked quite good, the reproduction of photographs inside
the mag were appalling. They were flat, over dark and out of register in the
colour prints, giving the impression of out of focus photographs (which they
definitely were not!)- the black and white were fine as, let's face it, there's
only black to put onto white paper, so no registration problems here!

The article I am mainly referring to is "Hedingham", the superb layout of a good
friend of mine, Alan Turner. I have spent a good while photographing and
preparing the images of this superb layout for him - especially for this article
which the magazine requested - and can only say that the publishers/printers
have completely destroyed photographs and the atmosphere captured in the
original quality images.

The four colour seperations from the original files have completely destroyed
the ambience of the images.

For them to claim that they are the best leaves me wondering where they are
looking. I have seen far better reproduction in, what their editors describe as,
"the comics" - Railway Modeller and BRM. The reproduction in those two are far
and above those of this "elistist" journal. And, I must add here, the
reproduction in the GOG Gazette absolutely blows away this "top rated" journal.

It has been such a disappointment for Alan, as he had been so looking forward to
seeing these photos in print - especially since he had been approached by the
magazine. It not only made the photography look bad, but in his words "makes the
layout look like an average so-so layout", which, as all those who have seen it
will vouch, that this, it definitely is not.

Alan's modelling skills are excellent and the impression that his railway
creates is one that few would ever be able to achieve.

I was also surprised that the magazine was extremely "thin" and would have
expected far more from a quality rated jopurnal. I know from the recent past
correspondance on this group, that there are a few here who have not been
impressed with the quality and content of this magazine of late.

Very disappointed regards,

Geoff Byman

Possibly he got a duff copy, but I am pretty sure not. Maybe the colour is a bit "off", but can he really be making that post seriously or is it a cleverly constructed wind-up?

Well if it was a wind up it certainly works for me:mad:

The first paragraph is an absolute corker however one views his sentiments/complaint/sanity.....

Upon reflection it's an absolute "Internet publishing" classic:))

Simon