7mm On Heather's Workbench - Aintree Iron: an Austerity adventure

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I think the cab handrails are the last actual components to be fitted. I don't think there anything else to go on, but I bet I remember something later.

image.jpg

I keep dislodging the whistle, since it sticks out of the front of the cab. I need something a bit stronger to hold it in place, then I can really get up into the paint shop.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Is that a Wallace and Gromit space ship in the background ;) or a model Fat Man A bomb ?

Nice work on the WD :thumbs:

mickoo

Western Thunderer
It's a Giottos Rocket Blower. It's supposed to be used for blowing dust from camera gear, but it's very handy for doing the same for models!
:eek: LOL I half expected you to come back and say it was something as mundane as a pencil sharpener :cool: Would never of guessed a dust blower in a life time.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Glad to have help you Heather.

Yes, thanks Paul. I do appreciate everyone's comments during my builds. I've learned a lot.

Current status is the loco is in the paint shop. I hope the paint is drying nicely - painting always gives me the heebie-jeebies: I'm one of those who worries about most things, and I have all kinds of awful scenarios racing round my head! I'm sure it'll be fine.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
image.jpg

It survived the respray. I don't plan on another coating, though a spot of gentle rubbing down may be needed on the boiler top. I shall leave the loco sitting on the test track to harden off for a couple of days before I do anything else.

Those awful scenarios failed to happen. I knew they would.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
You really don't want to know what's been going on with this build, but I'll confess anyway.

I had the loco running on the rolling road when John came over to see it. All seemed well and good, but after a short while the thing would slow and stutter and eventually appear to grind itself to a halt. I was not pleased, but investigation revealed the problem to be the rear axle boxes were sloppy.

Nothing for it but to take off the rear wheels, extract the spring castings and axleboxes, replace the latter with a new set, replace the springs, wheels and so on. It went well enough, save I managed to accidentally heat up one of the plunger pickup bodies which caused it to stop plunging, so that had to be replaced as well.

I don't need to tell you all this, but it is cathartic. While I am an experienced modeller, I am still learning some of this stuff - the hard way. It was almost enough to make me decide not to accept loco commissions any more - too many moving parts! Coaches are much less hassle!

Anyway, things are running about as well as could be expected now. Thank goodness!

image.jpg

The driver is on the short side, so I've had to give him an old apple crate for his feet to rest on. If I feel up to it I will sketch in some marks on the gauges.

image.jpg

Meanwhile, buffers and couplings have been installed. The front coupling hangs low enough to catch things in the four foot, so I've contrived to hook the bottom link up on the tommy bar. Some paint retouching and a coat of satin varnish will complete details at both ends. I don't think there's anything left in the Box Of Bits To Be Fitted, so I will get the transfers sorted this week, then get both this and the Lanky Tank into the paint shop for a coat of protective varnish.

I don't plan to weather the Dubdee quickly. I think it'll sit on the test track while I mull how to commence making it filthy.