Rebuilt Crosti 9f

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
This is what I ended up with. Not 100% accurate, but it pleases me. 20231031_200802.jpg
I've also been painting the various pipes and fittings in readiness for final attachment to the main loco body. I've deliberately gone for a contrasting colour (Tamiya gunmetal) but will tone it all back in due course. I'm hoping the different colour will stand out just a little against the black paintwork. Actually it'll be more like brown by the time I'm finished, but it's all part of the plan!
20231031_151426.jpg
20231031_200644.jpg
Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Mike. When gun metal castings are subject to the heat from steam at 250 psi, they turn a charcoal grey colour and copper pipes a dull brown (unless scoured and polished up - unlikely on a BR 9F in daily service).
Dave.
Thanks Dave.

I'll try to replicate that. :thumbs:

Mike

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Here's a couple of photos from the preserved 35006 - probably in better nick than a Crosti 9F.
Boiler back fittings and pipes.
P1020318(1).JPG
And some injector water feed and overflow pipes:
IMG_1442.JPG
I think these were taken after a relatively short working period but you can see the discolouration already taking place.
Hope these help.
Dave.

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Hi OzzyO

Those photos are great. :thumbs: Especially the colour ones. I'm edging ever closer to completion of the Crosti, so replicating a weather-beaten finish is never far from my mind now.

Cheers
Mike

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
The first three are mine and my copyright, Ozzy! I have no objection at all to them being used, but an appropriate credit would be nice. In fact, as examples of the rebuilt Crosti these have already been on this thread (posts #80 and #179) and in the Heyside thread (post #1215). I'll now ensure that my copyright is imprinted on any of my personal photos I put up on here in future.

However, to complete the info these three were taken at Southall on 5 December 1965.

Brian

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
The first three are mine and my copyright, Ozzy! I have no objection at all to them being used, but an appropriate credit would be nice. In fact, as examples of the rebuilt Crosti these have already been on this thread (posts #80 and #179) and in the Heyside thread (post #1215). I'll now ensure that my copyright is imprinted on any of my personal photos I put up on here in future.

However, to complete the info these three were taken at Southall on 5 December 1965.

Brian
Sorry about that Brian I have now added a note to say that they are your copyright. I did use them in good faith with the cover all copyright at the bottom. If you want I'll remove your photos. To save any more grumbles' I've just deleted the post.

Yours,

OzzyO.

Last edited:

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Thanks Ozzy. I never had any doubt that the photos were presented in good faith, but as you know from previous posts I am very jealous of both my own and Tim Mills' copyright. There have been a couple of occasions where my photos have been published in books without my knowledge although, in fairness, acknowledging my copyright but what makes me cross is the use of such photos without simply letting me know, apart from which I can often create a much improved image for publication from the original negative. I really want my photo archive to be used by model builders if they are in any way useful and I'm pleased to say that in most cases I get an email advising me of the wish to use them. I've never refused.

I also appreciate your prompt action in removing the photos from your post. You can do no more. In fact I would be more than happy for them to remain there along with the appropriate acknowledgement. After all, WT is the first place that any of my collection is seen and as such I consider it reasonably safe, although I'll now be imprinting everything that goes on to the site with my copyright info.

In short, thanks for your understanding.

Brian

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Must be the ugliest loco ever! Love it! Well done Mike, a silk purse from a sows ear.

Ian
This build fought me every inch of the way. I was determined to finish it, but I never thought it would take so long. There were times when I walked away from it as I was so exasperated! If it hadn't been for the likes of Ragstone and the host of other small part suppliers, I could never have got it finished.

I think the kit has got the basics right, but it's the detail stuff that I think it falls down on, and that takes time and money to rectify. Anyway, there's still a few bits to finish off and I'll keep posting as long as anyone here is still interested.

Mike

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Certainly looking very nice, now, Mike. I rather prefer these locos after removal of the pre-heater equipment.
Just a minor comments, if I may? On the RHS, the injector steam pipes, which pass down the side of the firebox, continue below the footplate to the injectors. On the model, they do not really line up so do not look like continuos pipes above and below, Perhaps some slight tweaking might improve it?
Dave.