Rebuilt Crosti 9f

simond

Western Thunderer
Joking aside, not just modern aircraft. The Mosquito was glued together. Seems to be some discussion about what was used, but Cascamite (if used originally) was apparently replaced due to delaminating in hot humid climes.

Tim Humphreys ex Mudhen

Western Thunderer
My father served in the RAF during WW2 as an aircraft mechanic. I believe that as well as Hurricanes, Typhoons and Lancasters he also worked on Mosquitos. The reason for mentioning this is that for as many years as far back as I remember, mid-fifties, he used Aerolite glue for woodwork. Would he have used this in his RAF days?

Tim

SimonT

Western Thunderer
I've just checked in Mosquito by Sharp & Bowyer, the authority on the aircraft. (I bought mine in 1972 - eek!) There were two glues used at Hatfield and quick work in the Far East after the aircraft broke up in the air established that the aircraft assembled with traditional furniture makers glues were falling apart and that those assembled with the new formaldehyde glue could manage the temperature and humidity. There is no mention of a trade name. I was told during a visit to Duxford that the nearby CIBA-GEIGY factory was where the first of these glues was produced. No idea if it is true.

Boyblunder

Western Thunderer
I've just checked in Mosquito by Sharp & Bowyer, the authority on the aircraft. (I bought mine in 1972 - eek!) There were two glues used at Hatfield and quick work in the Far East after the aircraft broke up in the air established that the aircraft assembled with traditional furniture makers glues were falling apart and that those assembled with the new formaldehyde glue could manage the temperature and humidity. There is no mention of a trade name. I was told during a visit to Duxford that the nearby CIBA-GEIGY factory was where the first of these glues was produced. No idea if it is true.
Mr. Bowyer was my form master at primary school. Also the father of one of my school friends spent his entire career including the war years making Aerolite glue. There is quite a good article on Wikipedia Aerolite (adhesive) - Wikipedia.

simond

Western Thunderer
We had a Mr (Des) Bowyer at our primary school too. Taught Arithmetic, English and RLSS lifesaving.

Byrne Avenue baths, wet pyjamas, 1969.

Don’t think he had anything to do with aircraft, but like all our teachers, he must have done National Service.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
I've just checked in Mosquito by Sharp & Bowyer, the authority on the aircraft. (I bought mine in 1972 - eek!)
Hi Simon,

First published in 1967 by Faber & Faber and it received an award from the RAF, I think for best portrayal of the Service the following year. Sadly, mine is only the 1995 updated reprint by Crecy - but still, a very informative book.

regards

Mike

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Mike,
mine is now showing it's age! I bought at a school book fair. The money from my parents was enough to buy Mosquito and Catch 22. Both books and The Collected Works of Nigel Molesworth have accompanied on many detatchements.
I'm thinking of buying a reprint as my copy is in daily use as I do some research on Bomber Support during WWII.

All the best
Simon
Incidently, all the Mosquitos in build that used old glue were scrapped and only formaldehyde was used for construction.

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
I've been using Zap Superglue. It's pretty good stuff, but there are limits to what it can do. I've been making up the actuating rod for the Crosti whistle. It's held in place with little brackets which I initially superglued in place. Unfortunately a slight knock saw it all come loose again, so I've been drilling 0.5mm holes into the brackets and fixing them in place with some homemade rivets (oh and some superglue!). It's all a lot firmer now.
20230903_193710.jpg
Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Just thinking ahead a bit now about painting the Crosti. Please can anyone tell me what colour the cab interior should be? I've seen some pictures that indicate yellow, but I would have thought cream?

Thanks
Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Mike ,if you go to resources on the index page and click on britannia /9f photos of 92240 at bluebell shows some cab interior views

Ken
Hi Ken

Yes, I've been dipping into that resource on a regular basis since I commenced this build. Seems to be mix of yellow or light cream from the windows up to the roof (to reflect the light?) with a dark/black shade downwards. It probably won't make much difference as I doubt I will be able to see much of the cab interior once it's all coupled up to the tender. But at least I'll know its there.

Mike

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Amazingly it fits very well.
Mike, well done but we need photos of how you got it in. I spent 30mins putting my 9F backhead in and out at an early stage of the build. I now cannot remember how I did it as those minutes were six years ago. HELP!