Rebuilt Crosti 9f

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Any dimensional differences apart, the obvious difference is the lack of cut out for the pre-heater on the N/S version. However, since this is a modified loco, the pre-heater will not be present, so perhaps it doesn't matter?
With this type of construction, I always check the cylinder and valve centres give sufficient clearance for the rods, etc and also that the cylinder centre-line does align with the driving axle centre before finalising the fixings.
Dave.
Oh yes! I am very mindful of making sure everything aligns correctly, hence my preference for bolting some of the sub-assemblies in place. I'm hoping this will make any subsequent adjustments that bit easier.

I'm still not totally convinced with how the chassis aligns with the footplate. The cutting torch may yet still come into play!! :eek::eek:

Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Replacement lampirons from LG Miniatures soldered in place. I have a vague feeling they might be a bit small, but they look about right to me! :)

20220511_200716.jpg

I also ordered a few other bits from LG Miniatures including a water scoop. I think it's a better representation than the one provided in the kit, and it also raises and lowers. Not that I intend having working water troughs!

20220511_200740.jpg

20220511_201010.jpg

20220511_201105.jpg
Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
It's just as well I made the motion brackets and slidebar support brackets removable. Why? 'Cos you can't fit the front four driving wheels unless the brackets are removed. I really hadn't considered this at all, so that worked out quite well. You may also spot another of my nut & bolt bodges to temporarily hold the valve guides in place. Maybe I should have built that Meccano Crosti after all!

20220512_195740.jpg

20220512_195758.jpg

20220512_200538.jpg
Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Look before you leap! I should have heeded that old saying, but when I first received this kit I dived in and started riveting the boiler as per the instructions.

20220528_095000.jpg

Subsequent views of many pictures of the prototype shows how insignificant these rivets actually are. I've left the line along the top of the boiler, but the rest have gone. I think it looks much better. :)

20220528_095013.jpg

I also thought I'd construct the pony truck. Ragstone parts have definitely enhanced this.

20220525_190318.jpg

20220525_190334.jpg

20220530_075028.jpg

20220530_075048.jpg

20220530_075213.jpg
Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
I'm not really convinced that the method of attaching the tender to loco is what I'm after. I know its a straightforward solution, but to me it just looks like what bit is: a nut and bolt! I'd rather go for something a bit more prototypical, but I'm a bit vague as to how to do this. All suggestions gratefully received. :thumbs:

20220530_092437.jpg
Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Were there side bars either side of the main coupling? You don’t need to have them fixed at both ends…

Cheers

Jan
I think there's just a central bar, but I'm happy to be proved wrong. There are a couple of small buffers on the tender and buffing plates on the loco. The buffers I'll possibly change as the ones in the kit are not quite right, although to be fair it's debatable whether they're that visible.

Mike

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
I think there's just a central bar, but I'm happy to be proved wrong. There are a couple of small buffers on the tender and buffing plates on the loco. The buffers I'll possibly change as the ones in the kit are not quite right, although to be fair it's debatable whether they're that visible.

Mike
Hi @spikey faz Mike
Fair do’s. I was only going on stuff I’ve seen on some full size locos. I couldn’t find a tender-less cab shot of a 9F to check that particular instance.

Cheers

Jan

simonr

Hello Mike,
I have quite a collection of 9F works drawings for my small 7 1/4" gauge project that came from the standard gauge steam trust many years ago.They have a drawings service for full size preservation work. I offered to restore and repair original drawings that were in poor condition and used an architectural copy service to make a few copies. It was a time consuming and expensive process but the benefit has outweighed that and it has given me years of pleasurable model engineering time.Generally modellers don't have access to these drawings so the answer to your question is no they are not easy to obtain.
I was under the impression that these drawings had not been scanned so no electronic copy or microfish version was available but this may have changed. The drawings may well be available from York NRM but these are not full size as many are 6 feet or more wide and reduced size drawings are near impossible to read.
Using works drawing slows the job down immensely as the temptation to just scale it down and not omit anything is irresistible.
If I can be of any further assistance just ask although the crosti is a different beast in many ways.

Hope that helps Mike,

Cheers Simon

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
It's slightly unusual not to have safety links of some sort to back up the main drawbar. The LMS used solid links and I believe the GWR used chains. There were some occurrences of Britannias separating from their tenders (and trains), due to drawbar breakage in the early years of service. Overcome, I understand, by re-designing the arrangement at the tender end to eliminate a fatigue raising feature.
Dave.

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Hello Mike,
I have quite a collection of 9F works drawings for my small 7 1/4" gauge project that came from the standard gauge steam trust many years ago.They have a drawings service for full size preservation work. I offered to restore and repair original drawings that were in poor condition and used an architectural copy service to make a few copies. It was a time consuming and expensive process but the benefit has outweighed that and it has given me years of pleasurable model engineering time.Generally modellers don't have access to these drawings so the answer to your question is no they are not easy to obtain.
I was under the impression that these drawings had not been scanned so no electronic copy or microfish version was available but this may have changed. The drawings may well be available from York NRM but these are not full size as many are 6 feet or more wide and reduced size drawings are near impossible to read.
Using works drawing slows the job down immensely as the temptation to just scale it down and not omit anything is irresistible.
If I can be of any further assistance just ask although the crosti is a different beast in many ways.

Hope that helps Mike,

Cheers Simon
Thanks for the information Simon. :thumbs: Any chance you can post some pics of your 9f project? I'd love to see that.

Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
From what I can gather from the above, it looks like a single drawbar is all that's required. I'll have to get in touch with NRM about copies of works drawings. In the meantime I've started constructing the firebox. I know I should focus on fully completing one part eg the tender before moving onto the next part, but I'm still waiting for some bits and pieces I've ordered to arrive. So, I need to keep the momentum going.

20220530_163338.jpg

20220531_191624.jpg

Thanks again everyone for likes, replies etc. It really is appreciated. :)

Mike

simonr

It's slightly unusual not to have safety links of some sort to back up the main drawbar. The LMS used solid links and I believe the GWR used chains. There were some occurrences of Britannias separating from their tenders (and trains), due to drawbar breakage in the early years of service. Overcome, I understand, by re-designing the arrangement at the tender end to eliminate a fatigue raising feature.
Dave.
The small triangular bracket with a bush welded to the underside of the dragbeam x2 is for the safety chains.
Simon