Red Caboose GP9 kits - ALL builders/Models/Info/References welcome

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Federal Railroad Administration mandate, for all railroads. All locos built after March 1975 could not have footboards, and all locos built before 1975 had to have the footboards removed by September 1978.

Poling pockets were mandated out about the same time, but many roads outlawed the practice even earlier.
Would you believe it was only a couple of months ago that I found out what those poling pockets were for..

JB.

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Richard, check your references for your chosen engine, a lot of GP9's lost the pilot foot boards in later life, just too damn dangerous for crew to ride on, there may even have been a SP mandate but I can't find it or the date if it was issued.

If you keep the foot boards then the hose should be tucked into the pockets, again for safety to stop crew tripping over them. I've just checked my 600+ photos, not one engine has loose hoses with foot boards, plenty with loose hoses and no foot boards but not the other way around. That's not to say it never happened, just that I've never seen any proof.

A lot of engines also lost the pockets to leave a flat pilot as well as a bewildering array of ploughs.

Oh bugger !
I should have looked a bit closer at the photos.

Richard

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
All starting to come together one a few decals have been applied. I trust you haven't sealed them yet!

In my SP/SSW anorak mode :) the shed/workshop allocation (if the loco had one) was carried on the cab sub-base. In my case HOUSTON as 3314 was an ex T&NO unit.

With my main interest in the SP's ex Cotton Belt/SSW subsidiary I had to trawl through loads of photos to ensure I had the details correct. Strangely I couldn't find one of 3807 - probably one I've missed. Incidentally Pine Bluff was the main Cotton Belt/SSW workshop.

3314 GP9.jpg

richard carr

Western Thunderer
I found a photo of 3802 which is what the decals are based on, but on the numbering sheet of decals the nearest four numbers in a row were 3807, thats good enough for me, even if it's totally wrong, it's just a number. But what a difference a few transfers make to any model !

No I'm waiting for some vallejo matt varnish to arrive tomorrow to seal the transfers in. I also need to tidy up the holes from the pilot step removal.
Then I need to finish off the chassis, it is all getting a bit tight in there to fit a decent speaker and a Loksound L decoder !

Richard

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Ah thought it was Daves that was needed.

Copyright the internet, looking at the quality and tones, probably Marti Bernard on Flickr

SP 3802 (2).jpg

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Thats the one, I really do need to get some of those top red lights.

I couldn't bring myself to put dodgy F on it though.

Richard

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Thats the one, I really do need to get some of those top red lights.

I couldn't bring myself to put dodgy F on it though.

Richard
Dodgy F?

That's the front, many GP9's were flipped the other way and ran long hood forward, not SP but other railroads, in which case the F was at the other end, kind of makes a difference when you select forward on the master controller ;)

The top red lights (Gyralights) are older parallel barrel ones, later ones I think were tapered, or at least the notch in the nose was, I'm presuming the light dictated the notch shape and not the other way around.

I've got some info somewhere and was going to 3D print some as I don't need mine to light up under emergency brake applications.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
A-ha - got it now :rolleyes: #3802 GP9E with 2nd gen 36'' and 48'' fans. Also appears to have a 2-chime rather than the usual 3-chime horn

Last edited:

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Yes Mick, I numbered mine 3807 but lettered it up based on 3802.
By the dodgy F I mean that on 3802 is a bit wonky to say the least, mine is a bit straighter than that.

It looks like I need a new motor retention plate, thanks Dave.
One of those tang bang speakers will be enough for me though.

Richard

Big Train James

Western Thunderer
Hi Richard,
I'm curious which set of decals you used for the model? I'm ultimately planning on painting my sw1500 in SP livery, but I'm worried about the lettering. Microscale has a set for SP road diesels. I'm wondering if the hood lettering is the same size for the much smaller switcher.

Is there any chance you could get a somewhat precise measure of the height of the "Southern Pacific" hood lettering as well as the cab numbers. I think the cab numbers should be the same for my loco, but it would be good to verify. Also, could you measure the length of both "Southern" and "Pacific". If they are too big, I will need to get custom decals done, or find some from another scale that are close enough (my eye started twitching and I broke out in cold sweats just typing those last two words :rolleyes:).

Thanks!
Jim

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
I think the hood lettering used on SP switchers is the same as was used on road units. Except the horizontal space between SOUTHERN and PACIFIC was closed up to fit the lower height switcher hood.
I've only seen smaller lettering on SSW units where COTTON BELT is smaller. However photos of the SSW subsidary units show two sizes of lettering on used rather than the standard SP size.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
The MS sets I have are 48-7 (SP Diesel Hood Units 70's - 1991) and possibly not right for GP9's but the sizes are:

Railroad name height is 8 mm lengths are 71 mm and 50 mm

Railroad number height is 8 mm

These are not precise but close enough for government work.

I think road numbers are consistent across the fleet but Railroad name was sometimes adjusted for some classes (SD9 nags my dim distant memory) but I cannot recall which classes or where I read that.

I've just checked fitment on the MP15DC and they will fit on the seven engine bay doors, I think the SW1500 has a common set up with length over those doors of 73 mm approx.