7mm Ressaldar's Workshop - a paintshop diversion

ZiderHead

Western Thunderer
most of the Hawksworth designed Q13 Inspection saloons were still running in the 80s, if not the 90s - an etched brass kit is available form Orion Models (no website but they advertise from time to time in the Gazette and they will be at Telford) also I think, soon to be available from Hurn models.

Hi Mike

Have you built one of these Orion kits? And if so how was it to build?

Thanks, Jon

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Mike

Have you built one of these Orion kits? And if so how was it to build?

Thanks, Jon

Hi Jon,

again, sorry, but no. I examined the kit at Telford some years ago and it is very similar to the Sidelines version.

I have seen photos of one of the Q13s running in InterCity livery, whilst it was based at Bristol, I might well be tempted at Telford this year, so watch this space.

cheers

Mike

ZiderHead

Western Thunderer
I had a look at Sidelines a while back for observation saloons and remembered seeing something on there, just had another look and found this:

Please note that from November 1st 2004 I will no longer be the agent for the ORION RAIL range of kits and components.

... so it seems that their kit was actually the Orion kit :)

ZiderHead

Western Thunderer
OK just one final question and I'll stop bugging you :)

The glazing on the D2046 looks great, is it glass and how is it fitted? It looks very flush.

Thanks.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Forgive the question from an amateur, but would a point red light be corrected bythe camera's red-eye reduction if selected?

Red-eye reduction is a function of using the flash. A pre-flash is fired before the shutter is activated, with the intention of causing the iris to close and ameliorate reflection of the main flash from the retina. I don't think it'll make any difference to photographing red points of light.

I just did a quick test of my Canon PowerShot G9, and it struggles with any point of light, because the intensity is such it can't be exposed accurately compared to the surrounding scene. The subjects in this case were the power LEDs on my computer monitor (red) and PC speakers (green). Both were washed out, but the red was distinctly orange at the centre, fading to red in the outer glow.

My phone (and elderly Nokia N73 with a 3.1MP camera, showed the same issues. Even obliquely, the pinpoints were overexposed, the centre area orange, and the outer area showing red.

I don't know how to overcome this, apart from lowering the intensity of the LED so it's barely showing. *shrug*

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Just a thought whilst nibbling the wheaty bangs - the phone camera is not fitted with flash, therefore the red in the picture above is genuine as opposed to being 'Red eye' - the plot thickens:(

cheers

Mike

Western Thunderer
Any excuse to try out the new phone camera - the final running-in trials for the Inspection Saloon prior to sending off

View attachment 23321

a tail load of three presents no problems to the 121 (The Snapper bringing up the rear)

View attachment 23322

View attachment 23323

taken at the Club yesterday, it was nice and quiet with just two of us in attendance.

The 'tarmac' platform surface is from an aerosol in the 'Texture' range in B&Q and gives a convincing surface without any further attention required - all 'work in (very slow) progress'.

cheers

Mike

Hi Mike,

Looking good. Thankyou for the tarmac tip :thumbs:

Steve :cool:

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
OK just one final question and I'll stop bugging you :)

The glazing on the D2046 looks great, is it glass and how is it fitted? It looks very flush.

Thanks.

Hi Jon,

no problems, ask away.

The glazing is 20thou plastiglaze , fitted with an overlap on the surround of 2mm and fixed with canopy glue. Thanks for the comment by the way.

cheers

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
I had a look at Sidelines a while back for observation saloons and remembered seeing something on there, just had another look and found this:

... so it seems that their kit was actually the Orion kit :)

Hi Jon,

I don't think so as Orion kits are GWR and Sidelines are LNWR/LMS/LNER - I think that Malcolm Binns (Sidelines) was just that, an Agent, for Orion.

cheers

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
having at last received the missing axlebox keeper plates, I have now assembled the bogies

IMG_4058.JPG

I read the pictorial instructions, then read Heather's thread and set about cleaning up the flash, which there was surprisingly little and ran an old file over all mating surfaces ready for flux and tinning. I do not like superglue at the best of times, so I'm using the 'Building O Gauge' safety flux and low melt solder. Having liked Heather's 'springing' arrangement, I drilled through the stretcher prior to any soldering. I found out later that I should have inserted the wire then as it would have made life a lot easier and I would not now be ready to build a ship in a bottle - blindfolded.

IMG_4060.JPG

here we have the pair, on their wheels but no keeper plates yet, but the springing wires (0.7 nickel silver) are in - continuous on both sides but not yet trimmed to length.

IMG_4062.JPG

upper and lower surfaces - as above

IMG_4064.JPG

all now complete - keeper plates and stretcher wire (0.7 brass) in place. Also, you can see the lace pins, cut to length used as a replacement for the whitemetal pins in the kit, perhaps not quite the correct diameter, but at least thay go through the lower stretcher beam to the dampers.

IMG_4065.JPG

close-up of above

IMG_4066.JPG

underside close-up showing springing arrangement and brass stretcher wire. The dots and dashes on the underside of the axleboxes are reference identification marks - the 'mating mark' is on the surface of the axle guides.

Next will see a start on the floor/chassis again, reference will be made to Heather's thread with only occasional reference to the destructions. I will also look at what I need to do for my cunning plan with regard to body/chassis fixing as I cannot use the JLTRT long bolt arrangement as it will show/stick out like a sore thumb with the introduction of the three new windows in each end.

cheers

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
as a result of this picture

IMG_4042.JPG

being seen 'over there', I have been asked to do one in ScotRail livery with B4 bogies, followed by a blue/grey one next year (if I don't c++k up the first one).

As there is a bit of a hiccup on the S&T Saloon at the moment, I'll start the Scotrail one now and put it on another thread.

So I'm rather chuffed at the moment:thumbs: especially with all the 'likes' that you lot have posted;)

cheers

Mike

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
I really do like that Mike. Is that the Sidelines one?.:confused:
I will be watching the Scotrail build with interest.:thumbs:

Rob :)

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob,

yes it is, they are very straightforward to build and do come up looking like the real thing.

As well as the ScotRail and H33 conversion coaches, I am picking up two of the new Easybuild BR (WR) Diag 1/552 kits at Telford and may also try one of the Orion ex GWR Q13 types as well - having seen a livery that I quite like - all in all, a busy year ahead:thumbs:

cheers

Mike