Scale7 JB Workbench.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Yes it is, but it's not the last in the process so any residue should be removed in the following process.

It's actually quite good during the build as it tends to show finger prints less and resists the tarnishing marginally longer, important if you're doing photos of the build, it's a PITA having to keep going back and cleaning the last sub section to make it bright and fresh when you add the new section.

I tend to wash the whole thing in thinners at the end just before applying paint and that seems to get rid of anything that went before.

MD

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Yes it is, but it's not the last in the process so any residue should be removed in the following process.

Very fair point!

I take what you mean about washing in thinners. I'd love to have a paint pot of thinners and chemical black so that I could dunk engines in both. It would save a lot of time, but unfortunately circumstances kinda prevent that..

JB.

daifly

Western Thunderer
JB,
I keep hearing about "bar keepers friend" but what is it and who sells it? If that stuff gets models as clean as yours for painting then it must be some use.
Peter
It is available as a powder, a cream or a spray. I got mine from Lakeland who carry the range.
Dave

SteadyRed

Western Thunderer
Lakeland sell tubs of cleaner for hard anodised pans, its a paste, possibly clay based.

Very effective for those hard to clean items. Just take it easy I suspect detail on brass would not be difficult to remove. Easily removes the nasty build up which you get on kits if they are not washed ASAP after soldering has finished.

I use a small amount of the paste and dilute with water, I don't use the paste neat it would be too harsh.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Another "..isn't it a shame to paint it.." moment.

One thing i forgot to add about cleaning products is try to avoid the Shiny Sinks stuff. I mistakenly gave it a go earlier as I was running low on BKF. It seems to take a LOT more rinsing after use to lose the residue. I wonder if the grit in it is that much finer that it sits in the grain of the metal, constantly coming back to say hello!

image.jpeg

JB.

unklian

Western Thunderer
Washing up liquid? Controversial..

JB.

I was told some washing up liquids contain lanolin ( something to do with keeping your hands nice and soft ), which is not easy to rinse off completely and doesn't help paint adhesion . I always use old fashioned Vim, yes the original pumice powder, with an old toothbrush and plenty of hot water to rinse off. You do have to go easy on delicate bits and low melt solder though . Which is probably why the dishwasher might not be a good idea as the water can get very hot. I will always remember my earliest attempt at low melt soldering a completely whitemetal wagon kit. All went well until I came to rinse off the flux with some very hot water... instant kit again, oh dear !

Last edited:

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I was told some washing up liquids contain lanolin ( something to do with keeping your hands nice and soft ), which is not easy to rinse off completely and doesn't help paint adhesion .
This is true, but it doesn't seem to have much effect once the whole lot is dropped in cellulose thinners or been washed with Cillit Bang several times, which to me seems to feel like it leaves a sort of squeaky feel to the metal as well?