Trade SDMP/Finney7 - Driving a Geep?

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Tony,
The part will indeed fold where it wants to, but that is set by the position of the half-etched lines. It is remarkably consistent if the artwork is okay. That even extends to the inclusion of a small clearance in this case; to make sure movement of the hornblocks can be achieved easily.
Steph

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Note to self...

Must stop looking every two minutes to see if there is any news on the 3 stage gearboxes... :)

JB.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Guys,

This afternoon I managed to pick up the latest consignment of etches from the Post Office. The hornguides are now available:
Smashing stuff, Steph. Saves me having to order 50 sets from Slaters. Have you thought of offering them to Slaters as a replacement for the previous and adjustable version which they no longer supply? (Runs away and hides from David White).

And if I get a free one for ordering 11 put me down for the full amount!

Well done you.

Brian/Dad

flexible_coupling

Western Thunderer
Looks great, I'll place an order for a few sets (spares - just in case!) for the two locos I'll build this year when you're ready to release the gearboxes.

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Looks great, I'll place an order for a few sets (spares - just in case!) for the two locos I'll build this year when you're ready to release the gearboxes.
Thank you! I will, of course, update here as soon as we have the gearboxes available.

Are they suitable for any loco?
Should do. With the Slater's 7961 insulated square bearings installed they take a 3/16" axle and need a cut-out in the frame which is 11mm wide and extends 7.5mm above the axle centre line. This cut out may not be the same as the ones marked in any kit (they vary), but is to all intents and purposes the same as that required for the old Slater's 7960 insulated hornblock set which is no longer available.

Steph

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Good product Steph :thumbs:,

ATB, Col.

Thanks Col - it would seem others think so too!

Anyway, one of the items on the test etch was a series of the 'idler' version of the 40:1 gearbox, I drew a number of them with different gear tooth clearance dimensions to suit both 12mm (Mashima 18xx series) and 15mm (Canon 1833) motor fixing centres. Thankfully one of the dimensions chosen proved correct when tested against three different sets of gears. These incorporated a number of the changes which I want to make to the other Markits-based gearboxes, so these can be considered production-ready. Time to populate a production etch:
IMG_8742v1.jpg

As it's difficult to envisage the dimensions of these gearboxes, here's a couple of shots of the Canon 1833 version compared to a well-known (and currently unavailable) motor-gearbox unit:
IMG_8744v1.jpgIMG_8745v1.jpg

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Excellent Steph,
When can I grab a couple of gearboxes off you..?
JB,
Still working on having them ready to order at Clekkers, so a couple of weeks I hope!

They appear to be using ball-race bearings?
what's that last shot showing?

Jeff,
Yep, all the gearboxes use ball-races which is why they take a little while to work out and develop to a point where I'm reasonably happy letting them out on an (un)suspecting public.
It appears Dan has answered for me, he's correct that it's a comparison from the driven gear end of the two gearboxes.

Err, it looks to me like a size comparison between Steph's offering (lower) and a "well-known (but currently unavailable) motor-gearbox unit".

Dan,
Thanks; you've got it!

Steph

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
The Romford-based gearboxes have now reached a point where they're nearly ready for release - I hope it'll only be a week or two for the gears to arrive, the first production batch of etches being here already. We still haven't reached the bottom of the stack of etches that arrived last week!

So, there's three in the range. From left to right 30:1, 40:1 and 54:1, all come with two motor mounting plates so you have a choice of 10mm, 12mm or 15mm motor fixings. Useful for Mashima 14xx, 16xx and 18xx series as well as the Canon 1833:
IMG_8768v1.jpg

The 30:1 and 40:1 use the same fret and are pretty small for gearboxes of this ratio, so perhaps best suited to older or smaller prototypes, here's a Canon 1833/30:1 from a test etch, the production versions are slightly smaller:IMG_8771v1.jpg

The 40:1 is substantially smaller than other equivalent-ratio gearboxes, which may have a significant advantage in some cases, here it is with a Mashima 1824. Incidentally, by choosing the other pattern of mounting plate the motor can be turned through 90 degrees:
IMG_8769v1.jpg

And for those locos where extreme slow-running is required, or if you need to use a small (higher-revving) motor, there's a 54:1 version, shown here paired in a slightly incredulous fashion with a Mashima 1424:
IMG_8770v1.jpg

Any of the above gearboxes are £18.25 as a kit (inc. fret, bearings, gears) or £40 as an ex-works unit (customer to supply motor and axle).

As usual there's some literature available from the Downloads page of the website. For quick links here's the planning template (pdf, 527KB) and the instructions (pdf, 680KB).

Markits gears productionisation will continue tomorrow!

Steph

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Righto...

Where and what is clekkers... Heard of it before, but don't really know what it is... Is it far from London?

JB.

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
JB,
It's the Guild's summer show at Cleckheaton (nr Bradford, W. Yorks.) on the 31st May.
I'll be in attendance as part of the Technical Committee, various gubbins that has featured in this thread will be with me to talk about photo etch design, gearboxes, etc.
Steph

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
Hello JB,

it's not that bad approx 3 hours on the train to Dewsbury then a bus to Cleckheaton.

S

SteveO

Super job Steph, really like the compact design. As I've not done it before, how would you fit these in a loco without them spinning on their axels? i.e. what do you secure them to?

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Steve,
The simplest solution is to rest them on a convenient frame spacer and run a wire around the back of the motor to stop it flipping up.
I often mount these sorts of gearboxes with a length of half-hard brass wire soldered to the gearbox. This approach allows the whole assembly to float and can even support the motor mounted vertically.
Steph