Prototype Tim Mills' Photos

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
That was a large yard indeed. And an unusual and extensive layout.

Here's the next. The neg is, again, truly awful and has taken a total of about eight hours to get to this stage. It has fogging coming in from the right hand side, vertical scratches, a vast quantity of dirt sparkle and two vertical processing streaks. Other than that it's considerably underexposed and not very sharp - possibly a box camera negative - the format is right. However, in view of the subject matter I considered this well worth a bit of effort.

Tim's entitled this "1 of 2. Colchester 1954. Last J70 tram engine used to shunt at Hythe Docks." (I'll start work on the second neg very soon, but it's probably more under exposed than this one although without the processing streaks). So far my research proposes this: At the beginning of 1954 there were four J70s remaining, Nos 68222, 68223, 68225 and 68226, all of which were withdrawn in 1955. 68222 was an Ipswich loco and withdrawn in January, 68223 was a Gt Yarmouth loco and withdrawn 19 July, 68225 was a March engine and withdrawn on 8 March, but 68226 was a Colchester loco and withdrawn on 2 August so fits Tim's description, although he may be a year out in his dating of the photo.

As for Hythe Docks, that's a location I'd never heard of previously so here's a potted history. There was an Anglo Saxon port at Old Heath called from the 12th Century Old Hythe. There were improvements in 1548-9. And it was variously improved through the 17tht and 18th and 19th centuries. Silting appears to have been an ongoing problem until around 1883 when a steam dredger was purchased. By 1892 around 3000 vessels a year were using the port, mainly Thames barges but considerably larger ships could use the port on spring tides. As late as 1984 a total of 2501 ships carrying over a million tons of cargo docked there. The number of ships thereafter gradually declined and the port closed in 2005. Any questions - look it up for yourself!

img350 TM 1 of 2 68226 Colchester 1954 Last J 70 to shunt Hythe Docks. Final - Copyright.jpg

Brian

Last edited:

robertm

Going back to #134, I wonder if the Loco is a J68 rather than an F6.
All the photos I’ve seen show the pax tanks running bunker first towards Witham, the Loco in the photo is facing the other way.
I believe the yard at Braintree before the 350bhp diesels arrived was assigned a J68 for shunting.
Not very conclusive but it’s a thought.
Cheers

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Going back to #134, I wonder if the Loco is a J68 rather than an F6.
All the photos I’ve seen show the pax tanks running bunker first towards Witham, the Loco in the photo is facing the other way.
I believe the yard at Braintree before the 350bhp diesels arrived was assigned a J68 for shunting.
Not very conclusive but it’s a thought.
Cheers

Could well be a J68, the height of the chimney for a start and when you blow the image up there is what look like the sand boxes on the running plate either side of the smoke box.
Col.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Last J70 tram engine used to shunt at Hythe Docks."

As for Hythe Docks, that's a location I'd never heard of previously so here's a potted history. There was an Anglo Saxon port at Old Heath called from the 12th Century Old Hythe. There were improvements in 1548-9. And it was variously improved through the 17tht and 18th and 19th centuries. Silting appears to have been an ongoing problem until around 1883 when a steam dredger was purchased. By 1892 around 3000 vessels a year were using the port, mainly Thames barges but considerably larger ships could use the port on spring tides. As late as 1984 a total of 2501 ships carrying over a million tons of cargo docked there. The number of ships thereafter gradually declined and the port closed in 2005. Any questions - look it up for yourself!

Brian

Here's an early map of the Hythe Explore georeferenced maps - Map images - National Library of Scotland

It was later extended southwards to an electricity station which was built on the site S.W. of the Hythe Maltings. An interesting railway which I discovered a few years back and has been influential in the design of the tramway on my Bow Creek project.

Col.

Osgood

Western Thunderer

Boyblunder

Western Thunderer
Colchester Hythe Quay was regularly visited by ships bringing in grain and timber when I moved here in 1986. On sunny days I used to walk down Hythe Hill from my office in the town centre at lunchtime to have a look. Sadly by then the railway was out of use although the iron bridge and some track was still visible. Arguably the first Hythe was Roman although the archaeologists can’t find sufficient evidence to be sure it was on the same site. Sailing barges used to travel further up the Colne to East Mill which is at the end of the Roman main street. Here is a photo of the steam dredger still in use in 1990 courtesy Chris Allen. The docks were run by Colchester Borough Council and despite protests some twit decided to replace the much-loved steam machine with a “modern” diesel dredger, bought second hand at an extortionate price. The replacement was in such poor condition that it only lasted a few weeks and that was the end of the docks, they just silted up. Colchester Dredger c1990.jpg

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
T

Just found it!
LNER 7214 - at Malden Station - Jun 1938Dufay_027

It is in an album linked by a picture of a Sentinel at Lowestoft on Sandy Harper’s Walsworth Sentinel thread.
Hi Tony.

If that's the picture posted on Sandy's GOG thread, then it's one of mine and has previously been published on WT. Sandy was kind enough to acknowledge its origin later in the thread.

A sad story, Boyblunder. That's what happens when local politicians get involved in matters they don't understand...... scrub local....

Brian

SimonT

Western Thunderer
My parents have lived near Colchester since the early 1960's and I know Hythe Hill well. There is another railway connection and that is Paxmans who are off Hythe Hill to the south on the site of the Standard Works. The site is threatened with closure as MAN have decided that they can do without the business generated by Paxmans. Opposite the works is an Elizabethan farm house that was the scene of a celebrated action during the seige of Colchester during the Civel War. When I was a lad there were still musket balls in the timbers. Somehow I doubt if they have survived in situ in this age of personal greed.
My father became a Borough Councilor after the time of the sale of the dredger, I must ask if he has any dirt on the deal!

Now you know why I prefer Panniers to the monotiny of slab sided tanks from Stratford, Donny, Darlington et al!

Simon

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Here's the second shot of a J70, which carries the same subject description as the one above. Once again it was very dirty but had a single and not very intense processing streak which I've made no attempt to improve.

Thank you for the additional info about Hythe Docks. Keep it coming!

img351 TM 2 of 2 68226 Colchester 1954 Last J 70 to shunt Hythe Docks. Final - Copyright.jpg

Brian

Last edited:

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Here's a couple more I processed earlier and forgot to put up on WT. One quite reasonable, the other probably a waste of time, but I'll not be the judge of that.

Firstly "Colchester 1954. J15 on trip freight to Hythe Docks." I read the number of the loco as 65473 which was at Colchester from May 1947, went to Stratford in December 1959 and was withdrawn in April 1960, so that all fits. (SLS). It was observed in store at Southend Victoria at the beginning of March 1960 and at Stratford Works in April where it was then scrapped. (Railway Observer). There appears to be another J15 behind the subject loco and train with an unreadable number.

img348 TM 65473 Colchester 1954 J15 on trip freight to Hythe Docks. Final - Copyright Copy.jpg

This one is described as "Colchester 1954. Down Parcels Panning Shot!" I believe this is a K3 and the number could be 61815 which was a Stratford engine in October 1949, moved to Lincoln in July 1954 and back to Stratford in September 1954, Parkeston Quay in March 1958 then back to Stratford for a third time in November 1959 before withdrawal in July 1960. It was observed in Doncaster Works in the middle of that month (WHTS) and is recorded as scrapped in 1960 (BR Database). Regrettably there's not a lot to put a value on this one!

img349 TM 61815 Colchester 1954 Down Parcels - Copy poss 61815.  Final - Copyright Copy.jpg

Brian

Last edited:

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Here's a couple more I processed earlier and forgot to put up on WT. One quite reasonable, the other probably a waste of time, but I'll not be the judge of that.

Personally I'm finding them all interesting whether of good or indifferent quality as they reflect the equipment they were taken on. Although I have no interest in the locomotives or their numbers it's what is in the fore or background I take an interest in.

For example the tram engine in post #150. It's the grounded carriage to the left and the other carriage in the siding behind it with it's corridor connection removed. Together with the buildings behind the tram engine.

Keep them coming no matter how indifferent the quality.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Firstly "Colchester 1954. J15 on trip freight to Hythe Docks."

Brian

Brian,
The train has past the junction points for the branch to Hythe and is now on the down main to Ipswich, ....

upload_2020-10-29_17-52-46.png
For example the tram engine in post #150. It's the grounded carriage to the left and the other carriage in the siding behind it with it's corridor connection removed. Together with the buildings behind the tram engine.

I believe they were both grounded coach bodies, Dave, the one at the rear is set further up the bank.

Col.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Brian,
Having had a close look the J15 sitting on shed in your post#151 could be 65448 it was a Colchester loco at that time, the alternative is 5446 but that was a Stratford loco then, not going to Colchester until '58, but that's not to say it's not the 30A loco .

Col.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the correction re-the route, Col. I'll add it to the info.

As for the J15 on shed - the alternatives sound entirely right. There may be some confirmation in later photos.

Brian

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Now completed this one, B12 61577 with the title "Colchester 1954." BRDatabase says that this loco was at Ipswich from at least 1948 until August 1958 when it moved to Norwich Thorpe. (BR Database and SLS). If that's the case it's just on a visit to Colchester. It was actually withdrawn from Cambridge in September 1959 where it was allocated from April the same year. (SLS). According to the Railway Observer it went to Stratford Works and WHTS records it as being noted there on 4th October 1959. The Railway Observer advises that it was seen being cut up on 10th November 1959.

img353 TM 61577 Colchester 1954 - Final - Copyright Copy.jpg

Brian

Last edited:

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
It's not till you see a photo like this, taken at ground level, that you realise the difference in levels between the yard and running lines.
Most photo's I've seen of Colchester shed have been taken from an elevated position such as the signal box.
Something worth thinking about when building layouts as railways aren't built on billiard table top surfaces.

Col.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
.....and another from a neg in far better condition than most but sadly with considerable camera shake. This is J15 65424 and entitled "Colchester 1954". According to BR Database the loco was at Colchester from at least 1948 to 1959 when it was reallocated to Stratford on 18th December and was almost immediately withdrawn on 26th December. (SLS). The Railway Observer recorded it there on 1st January 1960 and BR Database advises it was scrapped in January 1960.

img354 TM 65424 Colchester 1954 - Final - Copyright Copy.jpg

Brian

Last edited: