Trade Titfield Thunderbolt News

Simon

Flying Squad
Shop website updated yesterday evening.

Lots of good stuff but the most amazing book is Lightmoor's new all colour Gloucestershire tome.

There is a full list of locations on the publisher's website here:

http://www.lightmoor.co.uk/book_extra.php?ref=L9761

£25.00 and I don't know how they have done it for such a low price.

It is the most amazing collection of pictures, brilliant detail and atmosphere for us modellers and although it is mostly steam it has some great diesel pictures, including a stonking full page view of an 03 with shunters truck and a BR 5 plank on the Llanthony branch. There is also a really lovely sequence at Tintern Quarry showing a Hymek dealing with a train of Dogfishes and passing Netherhope Halt.

An absolutely magical view into the past - Cynric would have really liked it.

Simon

Still having Bulleid pacific fantasies and yes I have spoken to that very nice Mr Pullen;)

S

SteveO

Simon, I have a small used book wishlist (spit) if you'd like to see it – I know you get the occasional secondhand book in.

Diesel Depots: The Early Years
Freight Train Operation for the Railway Modeller
D for Diesels

If you have any of these, or can get hold of them, message me your prices. Cheers!

Simon

Flying Squad
Steve -I don't have any of those in stock, except for D for diesels parts 1-4 which are all new copies.

Bob - thank you very much,it will not disappoint....

Simon

queensquare

Western Thunderer
Gordon A brought a copy of the new Lightmoor book which he bought off Simon at the weekend to the club this evening and , if anything, said bookseller is underplaying its virtues. Its stonkingly good although I would urge caution from anyone with limited will power as its packed full of stunning colour shots of eminently modelable scenes. You have been warned.
I will have a copy when we have our monday meet up in the next few weeks please:)

Jerry

Reactions: Bob

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
just received my copy of the Lightmoor book (safe and sound) from Simon, will have to set aside a long weekend to even start to digest it - best book I've bought for years - roll on volume 2.:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

cheers

Mike

Reactions: Bob

Bob

Western Thunderer
Mine's arrived too Simon, simply stunning book. I did have plans for Saturday but they've gone out of the window........will be too busy reading this tome. Did have a chuckle at the picture on your packaging:)).

SteadyRed

Western Thunderer
Simon do you have anything in stock related to class 24 or class 25? Looking for reserch material before diving in with a kit.

Thanks

Dave

Simon

Flying Squad
Nothing specific comes to mind although there is a recent Strathwood picture book on the 24/25/26/27 Sulzers.

I think there has been quite a bit in the past, including a recent-ish Ian Allan "diesels in depth Class 24/25" which I believe is quite highly regarded by those that know.

It is out of print and looking at e-bay copies seem to range in price from £10.00 upwards.

I don't have a copy in stock unfortunately.

Simon

S

SteveO

Simon do you have anything in stock related to class 24 or class 25? Looking for reserch material before diving in with a kit.

Thanks

Dave

Dave, I have the book Simon mentions, which is excellent, plus 'Sulzer Types 2 & 3' by ATH Tayler, which is pretty good, and 'Modern Locomotives Illustrated' on Sulzer Types 2s, which is another excellent reference.

SteadyRed

Western Thunderer
Nothing specific comes to mind although there is a recent Strathwood picture book on the 24/25/26/27 Sulzers.

I think there has been quite a bit in the past, including a recent-ish Ian Allan "diesels in depth Class 24/25" which I believe is quite highly regarded by those that know.

It is out of print and looking at e-bay copies seem to range in price from £10.00 upwards.

I don't have a copy in stock unfortunately.

Simon

Thanks Simon

Shame you don't have anything in stock, I will keep an eye open for the titles you mention.

Thanks again

Dave

SteadyRed

Western Thunderer
Dave, I have the book Simon mentions, which is excellent, plus 'Sulzer Types 2 & 3' by ATH Tayler, which is pretty good, and 'Modern Locomotives Illustrated' on Sulzer Types 2s, which is another excellent reference.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Dave

Neil

Western Thunderer
I think I have most of the books specific to the 24 and 25. The Diesels in Depth is pretty good and I also believe that the Marsden OPC Profile volume on the classes is well worth having too, though also out of print (long time). If you haven't already found it the top resource on both classes is the Derby Sulzers website here.

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Rail Portfolios 8 'The 24's and 25's published by Ian Allan & compiled by Hugh Dady is a very good hardback colour photo collection which is usually available cheaply S/H :)

SteadyRed

Western Thunderer
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

This does of course mean that I will have to put my money where my mouth is and by a couple of JLTRT derby type 2s, probably go for a boilered, disc headcode 24 & maybe a 25/0. Research first!

I was hoping the DJP 26/7 would have appeared by now as brass appeals over plastic, but I need to get going & a type 2 really appeals.

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
If you are a member of the GOG, there are a couple of very decent offers for a JLTRT 24 and 25 on the GOG website sales page.

SteadyRed

Western Thunderer
If you are a member of the GOG, there are a couple of very decent offers for a JLTRT 24 and 25 on the GOG website sales page.

Thanks for the heads up.

Doh!

I let my membership expire some time ago, due to my , modelling, inactivity it seemed a little pointless.

Time to sign up again, me thinks.

Dave

Simon

Flying Squad
Quite a few new things in da shop, Lightmoor's West Gloucestershire book is cracking good value as observed elsewhere and the new Peco 009 coaches are really exquisite.

However, reason for posting is to flag up the latest Narrow Gauge & Industrial Railway Modelling Review (no 96) which arrived yesterday.

It's another very good issue, a decent chunk of which shows what our "Nettlebridge" has been constructing in the gap between his house and garage - really most impressive:thumbs:

Well done Noel and I look forward to watching developments unfold....

Simon

Simon

Flying Squad
Apologies for the duplication of posts, but this new book is just terrific and I have to mention it on my shop thread.

"Caersws The Cambrian Railways Village" from Oakwood Press, Written by Brian Poole (not the Tremeloes) 224 pages, £16.95 and utterly brilliant.

Lots of detailed information as per the title and the Cambrian Railways network in the region over the years, including a vast amount of information and photography of the bridge department (based at Caersws) and its work and a lot of information on the nearby once important Moat Lane. Great personal memories and touches, well illustrated and well written. The author says it has been a "privilege and a joy" to research and gather the information and his feeling for history, the railway and the people who lived and worked around it comes across very strongly in the text.

Lots of lovely touches - a super official photograph of the first GWR "Railway Queen" for the Moat Lane & District, Miss Jean Davadge, daughter of the chargehand of Moat Lane sheds and a cracking picture of a railwaymen father and son Bill and Glyn Power in Builth Wells signal box in its final year of operation are but two highlights. Lots of staff and people feature throughout the book and the author has obviously worked really hard to seek out personal collections of pictures.

I can't really praise it enough, it is an unusual and very good railway book and I hope it does really well for the author and his publishers - it truly deserves to.

Simon

Simon