Trade Titfield Thunderbolt News

Cliff Williams

Western Thunderer
Simon thanks for the help with the purchase of the LMS Loco profile books a month or so ago.
I am new on here so it is all a learning curve. Nice to learn you are also a modeller!

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Rail Portfolios 8 'The 24's and 25's published by Ian Allan & compiled by Hugh Dady is a very good hardback colour photo collection which is usually available cheaply S/H :)

Thanks very much for that :thumbs:. I have just located a copy (been collecting a bit of 24 material - trying to work out what variant to go for, I know what colour though:rolleyes: ). The author's name rang a bell:

I studied engineering with Hugh Dady in the 70s- he was a highly talented photographer and spent a lot of time on the line side. There were some delightful scenic spots for photography nearby, especially the stretch at Bath through Pultney Gardens.

Hugh did his own developing and was using a then novel but very expensive colour system (I forget the name). I remember he once showed me a set of (I think maroon and blue) Western shots he had just developed, and which blew me aways in terms of artistic and technical quality. I'll have to see if he has published any of his own work.

I always thought it was cool that I knew someone who used to regularly 'hang out' with Ivo Peters!

Wagonman

Western Thunderer
Hugh did his own developing and was using a then novel but very expensive colour system (I forget the name). I remember he once showed me a set of (I think maroon and blue) Western shots he had just developed, and which blew me aways in terms of artistic and technical quality. I'll have to see if he has published any of his own work.

Could that process have been Cibachrome – a direct positive system using azo dyes or somesuch. Superb colour and lightfastness.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Not sure if this is the right place to do it, but I'd like to thank the Titfield Thunderbolt team for sending my order promptly. Ordered on Sunday, delivered on Wednesday. :thumbs:

I will reveal what I ordered when I start a thread about it sometime. Let's just leave it as being a supplementary part to a book I already have, about a pair of locos of which I am particularly partial.

adrian

Flying Squad
I will reveal what I ordered when I start a thread about it sometime. Let's just leave it as being a supplementary part to a book I already have, about a pair of locos of which I am particularly partial.

Too easy - having seen the advert in MRJ I'll wager that'll be 10000 and 10001 then.

Simon

Flying Squad
Thank you very much for the kind words Heather, much appreciated:thumbs:

You were "done":eek: by my friend (and the technical database genius behind the website) George, who I've had to call in to help as everything has got a bit busy.

Hectic week, electricians failed the rear office power circuit as unsafe earlier in the week, phone call to Landlord:headbang: (never mind) Andy and Wayne were back today and I now have safe circuits and a much more logical set up in the back office, water heater and downstairs lights next...

Currently having problems with Internet, Svchost seems to be screwing things up and I keep losing the Internet - aaagh!

On the brighter side it's still busy and I have very nearly finished the figures for the accountant - back to building trains one evening soon....

Time to go home and lay down in a darkened room I think:))

Simon

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Too easy - having seen the advert in MRJ I'll wager that'll be 10000 and 10001 then.

It was a bit too easy. :D

I've only skimmed the new volume, and it's an engine picker's paradise. Thoroughly looking forward to actually putting the juicy morsels into scale model terms.

Buckjumper

Flying Squad
A big 'thank you' to Simon and his fine emporium from Mrs Buckjumper for the very prompt delivery of a big pile of Railway Archive back issues which arrived in time for my birthday despite the late hour of the order. I'm told they'll keep me quiet for a day or two ;)

Simon

Flying Squad
Must say I hugely enjoyed the shops latest advert in the Railway Modeller. :)

Well I was trying to think of something "different" to say, and the rather delightful thought of sort of reflecting reflections of one magazine into another via a different medium occurred to me.

You are the first person to have "rumbled" me so far!

Simon

Simon

Flying Squad
I'm allowing myself a rare plug:eek: here, because I have just taken into stock an absolutely fabulous book.

Southwag.jpg

This is an absolutely stonking collection of pictures, all to a large format, with natural colours, well printed and I think it is possibly the best ever colour collection of wagon pictures to be published.

Really good pictorial reference for weathering and also a very decent record of its particular subject.

A copy has already made its way into my collection.

Details on my website here.

It's a cracker!

Simon

AJC

Western Thunderer
Now that sounds excellent; the black and white one was good, but this must be better. :)

Adam

Osgood

Western Thunderer
I'm allowing myself a rare plug:eek: here, because I have just taken into stock an absolutely fabulous book.
…..
This is an absolutely stonking collection of pictures, all to a large format, with natural colours, well printed and I think it is possibly the best ever colour collection of wagon pictures to be published.

Really good pictorial reference for weathering and also a very decent record of its particular subject.
….
It's a cracker!

The postman delivered a copy this morning. All I can say is that I think perhaps Simon is being somewhat conservative in his praise of this book! :bowdown:

Tony

Simon

Flying Squad
Another plug as two books of exceptional interest and quality have just arrived in the shop.

Dick Kelham's "Private owner wagons of Somerset" and Neil Macmillen and Mike Chapman's "Coal from Camerton"

Both are really very good, the wagon book is probably of most potential interest to folk here. I have given it a full review on my website see:

www.titfield.co.uk/New_Books.htm

It is the best of all the PO wagon books produced to date in my opinion, although it is fair to say that I am geographically biased.

The Camerton book is also brilliant, featuring the railway and station in some detail, together with the canal and earlier history and Somerset mining in more general terms, plus the unfortunate Reverend Skinner. This also has a full review on my website listing but isn't on the what's new page as I updated the record for the earlier edition - that'll teach me......

Well done to all authors and the publisher (Lightmoor) at last I have something really good to sell that covers the Camerton branch and Somerset mining.

Simon

queensquare

Western Thunderer
Another plug as two books of exceptional interest and quality have just arrived in the shop.

Dick Kelham's "Private owner wagons of Somerset" and Neil Macmillen and Mike Chapman's "Coal from Camerton"

Simon

I bought both from Simon on Friday and can confirm they are excellent. I too have a geographical bias as well as the fact that Highbury is essentially Camerton colliery with the buildings put together in a slightly different order!

Jerry