4mm & 7mm Llanfair ....

Paul Tomlinson

Western Thunderer
Thanks. I didn't know about the etchings, as I only look at paint. It s tempting to replace the wooden windows with etchings that's for sure.
They could be slightly different in size to the kit ones, which would be a bit of a trial when adding to a painted model... I've got the LNWR and Midland styles, and it's so easy to spray them on the fret and snip them off. On another topic, I wonder if these card buildings might interest you - mostly in 1:76. They do bus depots... John Birch (Oz7mm) brought them to my attention. Cheers.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Thanks Paul, I'll have a look although I have almost all the buildings that will be required for Llanfair. The signal box was fitted wit new bargeboards, as i had to remind myself it is not a Cambrian box. Seeing as te Shrewsbury to Welshpool section was built jointly and operated by the LNWR and the GWR until the Cambrian for formed, my fictional standard gauge branch of the 1860's to Llanfair Caereinon was built likewise. So its and early GWR design box....
WEB 4mm Signal box 16A.jpg

It will look more at home once it is mounted on the station platform....
WEB 4mm signal box 16B.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Yes it's Slater Plastikard Chris. I've been laying things out to see how they look together now that poster boards etc have been applied to the station building...
WEB Llanfair C 1.jpg

I am still not convinced about the signal box! A RH version of Llansantfriad would work nicely but the kit is LH and is too small and fragile to alter......
WEB Llanfair C 1B.jpg

Slight alteration to the Gents lavatory...
WEB LLanfair C 1C.jpg

Last edited:

paulc

Western Thunderer
Yes it's Slater Plastikard Chris. I've been laying things out to see how they look together now that poster boards etc have been applied to the station building...
View attachment 180625

I am still not convinced about the signal box! A RH version of Llansantfriad would work nicely but the kit is LH and is too small and fragile to alter......
View attachment 180626

Slight alteration to the Gents lavatory...
View attachment 180847
You left the toilet seat up ??????
I'll leave now

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
The Festival of Britain had the first public toilets with soft paper, but I can remember Izal in BR facilities in the 1970s. So you could include a carton of refills on top of the brick buttress? They were green, about the size of a small paperback. I cannot think of any other detail to add, this looks great Larry.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I was tempted to base my projected layout on a standard gauge branch from Welshpool to Llanfair Caereinon, and went into full research mode as a change from building things. It's attraction was the dual involvement of the LNWR and GWR before the Cambrian was formed, and the direct link along the 'Cambrian mainline' with Shrewsbury.

Photos exist of L&YR A Class 0-6-0's and Fowler 2-6-4T's on passenger trains, and Midland 3F Tender engines on local goods....all in BR days. These engines bypassed Oswestry at Buttington Junction.. A cab journey along the current narrow gauge W&L showed the nature of the line, its 1-in-29 inclines and the lack of visible settlements along the route.

But on reflection, it is best to stick with what I started. A MR 3F on the goods is tempting...

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Yet another go at building a small platform-mounted signalbox for Llanfair Road, this one beibng the Barmouth one from Intentio...
WEB Barmouth box parts..jpg

Progress is slow becasue I am figuring out how the construct it so that individual parts can be sprayed and glazed afterwards. The signal box in the background is the previous effort, so I can decide which one ot use on the layout...
WEB Barmouth signalbox 2.jpeg

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Yet another go at building a small platform-mounted signalbox for Llanfair Road, this one beibng the Barmouth one from Intentio...
View attachment 181920

Progress is slow becasue I am figuring out how the construct it so that individual parts can be sprayed and glazed afterwards. The signal box in the background is the previous effort, so I can decide which one ot use on the layout...
View attachment 181921

I'm having similar ponderings on my current 7mm building project for Pencarrow Larry. Reasonably straight forward to actually build it but the tricky bit is working out the sequence and method to allow access for painting and later fitting of windows. I also like to be able to access the interior later so that modifications or repairs can be undertaken without use of a saw first!

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The box is pretty well ready for the spray shop, and shows the component parts. The decorative bargeboard overlays were sprayed brown along with the steps...
WEB Barmouth signalbox 3.jpeg

The roof was given a centre strengthened and bargeboard fitted. Only three locating pegs were retained to make removal of roof easy...
WEB Barmouth signalbox 4.jpegWEB Barmouth signalbox 5.jpeg