4mm & 7mm Llanfair ....

Gismorail

Western Thunderer
I too was worried about that word ‘meditation’ but as you have said before Larry it’s the building that gets your imagination going ……with that in mind you should build small diorama’s and then sell them off then at least you’d be recouping the costs. Judging by you reputation I think they would be in demand …..take care my friend ;)

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Sorry folks, I'm just an old fashioned kitchen table modeller really, and 'operation' is not really my big interest. So yes, it is back to 00 gauge. It suits me seeing as it refreshes my interest. Further 4mm building construction can now tide me over the remainder of the winter.

I kept all the 4mm locos, wagons and around 30 coaches, and have quite a bit of track. "Llanfair Road" can now be built further away from the backscene to allow a proper access road to the yard behind the station house.

In case anyone is interested, the 7mm buildings will be put up for sale. Another station building is being laser cut for me so I can build a 4mm replica of the 7mm building.

Thanks everyone for your interest. Life evolves or we go under.

LG

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Llanfair Road 4mm Continued...
New replacement for the 4mm goods shed. Experience with warping roofs after gluing on slates led me to build this shed with the roof firmly attached. As can be seen, the loading platform is removable so that a crane etc can be fitted...
WEB 4mm Goods shed 2.jpg

Last edited:

simond

Western Thunderer
Given the irritations I had with the loco shed roof, and the current entertainment with the Tetbury goods shed roof, it might well be good advice to build it with the roof glued down from day one, or at least, after fitting lighting but before putting the slates on.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The latest 4mm Goods shed is progressing slowly with all the basic painting completed, but no weathering as yet. If this shed goes at the back of the layout the same as before, this side will not be seen.. If it ends up at the front, then this side will be on display, which is why I am going to the trouble of completing it...

WEB 4mm Goods shed 3.jpg

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
The latest 4mm Goods shed is progressing slowly with all the basic painting completed, but no weathering as yet. If this shed goes at the back of the layout the same as before, this side will not be seen.. If it ends up at the front, then this side will be on display, which is why I am going to the trouble of completing it...

View attachment 178103

Looking good. How many of these have you built now Larry? I'm assuming you don't need the destructions any more?!

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Another of the replacement 4mm buildings out of the way. The slates are for 7mm scale but are more closely spaced. Just the job actually....

WEB 4mm Goods shed 4E.jpg
No roof lights so I built it with windows...
WEB 4mm Goods shed 4B.jpg

Door and guttering etc were carefully taken off the previous shed before it was burned....
WEB 4mm Goods shed 4C.jpg

Removable platform. I aim to fit a crane and oddments of goods before gluing it in....
WEB 4mm Goods shed 4D.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Work has started on building a replacement 4mm scale station building. The top RH panel shows the reduced width of the station masters house. Below I have replaced the front door with a window because I'm putting the door on the back of the building. Roof panels have been prepared for later to make a gable roof...

WEB 4mm Station 1.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I started on the station masters house while rebuilding the roof from a hip version to a simple 'tent'....
WEB 4mm Station 2.jpg

The three canopy rooflights were retained and the Gents lavatory was built somewhat wider with a door entrance and frosted glazed roof....
WEB 4mm Station 3.jpg

The road side of the station. The station masters front door is now on this side instead of the end...
WEB 4mm Station 5.jpg

The decorative corners brick have yet to be added along the window sills and much much more.....
WEB 4mm Station 6.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Decorative corner stones added along with window leges etc. Gutters and drain pipes to add...
WEB 4mm Station 9.jpg

The undecorated window would have been behind a vestibule had the kit been built as designed. This kit was specially cut for me becasue it had been dropped from the range of Laser Cut Railway Models. My third station kit.... ...I love them! :)
WEB 4mm Station 8.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Spitting rain means photographing indoors. York Models bargeboards, Evergreen channel section to make guttering and brass rod for drainpipies. The staircase is to the right of the front door, then one backtracks into the bathroom above the front door. This side wont be seen on the layout, but it's completion might help sell this building when I take up deep sea diving....:p
WEB 4mm Station 10A.jpg

This is the platform side. Photography highlighted a drainpipe had moved (since sorted). Bricked up living room window under canopy can just be seen. Roofing slates next......boring! :eek:
WEB 4mm Station 10B.jpg

Last edited: