4mm & 7mm Llanfair ....

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Hello Larry, all looking good again, is there a layout in the pipeline for these buildings ?
Thanks Craig,

I aim to build an improved 4mm 'Llanfair Road' with a proper roadway behind the station this time. Also I think I have come up with a better location than Llanfyllin, yet still connected to the Cambrian. Chimneys now glued in place plus lead flashing....
WEB 4mm Station 12B.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I'm in two minds about how far to weather this building. Nortmally I apply an all-over wash of diluted Phoenix 'Dirty Black'. It helped pick pout the fine mortar courses on the 7mm scale building, but the courses are already clearly defined on the current 4mm model. I'll decide how much weathering to apply tomorrow....
WEB 4mm Station 12D.jpg

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Very nice, Larry. I think it needs some toning down - can't imagine the barge boards staying that white for long near a steam railway.
Dave.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Finished.... Four finials were broken during the fitting of glazing and window frames so i recommend these be fitted last of all...
WEB 4mm Station 14A.jpg

The lower part of the roof forming the canopy was lowered some 5mm, as it looked better aesthetically....
WEB 4mm Station 14B.jpg

Road side view showing station masters front door etc. I forgot to frost the bathroom window.....
WEB 4mm Station 14C.jpg

This is the Mk.I version for comparison with hip roof ad built as a LH version.....
WEB 4mm Station 14D.jpg

View of Gents lavatory....
WEB 4mm Station 14E.jpg

paulc

Western Thunderer
Finished.... Four finials were broken during the fitting of glazing and window frames so i recommend these be fitted last of all...
View attachment 180007

The lower part of the roof forming the canopy was lowered some 5mm, as it looked better aesthetically....
View attachment 180008

Road side view showing station masters front door etc. I forgot to frost the bathroom window.....
View attachment 180009

This is the Mk.I version for comparison with hip roof ad built as a LH version.....
View attachment 180010

View of Gents lavatory....
View attachment 180011
I think your talents as a civil engineering builder were wasted on building coaches for a living , fantastic work Larry .

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Thank you for your kind comments. I really cannot praise Laser Cut, Rail Model and Intentio too highly. Their artwork is spot on and makes construction as well as individuality a simple task. The latter is of course 'Brush Type 4' on WT.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Hi Larry.

As all your buildings, the station is stunning. I can see you've mentioned several companies. Who makes this kit ?

Rob

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Hi Larry.

As all your buildings, the station is stunning. I can see you've mentioned several companies. Who makes this kit ?
Hi Rob, I was made by LASER CUT. Click here : Shop for 00 Gauge 4mm

That station building has been dropped from the website now, however, it is worth an enquiry. He cut me one.

This is the trio photographed this morning. The parts are designed to make a hip roof with the house at the RH end, as per the first building.... However, all were built back to front anyway....:)

WEB Station building trio.....jpg

Last edited:

JasonBz

Western Thunderer
The gable ended versions look much better than the hipped roof one.
Then again I am not a big fan of hipped roofs, especially with short ridge lines, anyway, they always look over-heavy and clumsy to my eye.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Standard gauge Welshpool & Llanfair...

With a bare baseboard to look at, thoughts turned to an improved 'Llanfair Road'. Why not pretend one of the standard gauge schemes was adopted for a branch from Welshpool to Llanfair (Caereinion) line back in the1870's. The inclines involved were already in use on other standard gauge lines like the 1-in-27 Werneth incline to Oldham. Much reading still to do.

Last edited:

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
As others have said, Larry, the station building looks marvellous.
I very much approve of you musings on ex-LMS 2-6-4 tanks, MR and L&Y 0-6-0s. Seems to me like you're gradually moving round to resurrecting Greenfield.:))
Dave.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
As others have said, Larry, the station building looks marvellous.
I very much approve of you musings on ex-LMS 2-6-4 tanks, MR and L&Y 0-6-0s. Seems to me like you're gradually moving round to resurrecting Greenfield.:))
Dave.
I laugh because you never give up on Greenfield :D:D It was the first station that came to mind when I started layout building. How is Delph progressing?

Deano747

Western Thunderer
Standard gauge Welshpool & Llanfair...

With a bare baseboard to look at, thoughts turned to an improved 'Llanfair Road'. Why not pretend one of the standard gauge schemes was adopted for a branch from Welshpool to Llanfair (Caereinion) line back in the1870's. The inclines involved were already in use on other standard gauge lines….I travelled up the 1-in-27 Werneth incline to Oldham on 5-coach trains hauled by LMS Class 4 tanks.

The layout at Llanfair C. will remain much the same as at 'Llanfair road', but with more provision for sheep cartage and agriculture. Motive power will be larger and passenger consists remain at 3-coaches. Seeing as the Shrewsbury to Welshpool section was joint LNWR and GWR, these two companies also built the Llanfair branch to something more substantial than a light railway. It was a BR(W) line from 1948, but London Midland motive power could still be seen. In reality, ex.LMS 2-6-4T's, MR 3F 0-6-0 and LYR 3F 0-6-0 Tender engines were photographed at Welshpool (Shrewsburu & Welshpool Railway by Bob Yate (Lightmoor Press) £12.00.
Take your time to decide, Larry, as I'm sure what you come up with with will be as good as your past designs.! I, like many, enjoy your adventures into the past and future ventures.

Regards, Rob.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Thanks Rob, much appreciated. I've been "quiet" of late becasue research and waiting for items to come by post means nothing to post.

Here is yet another attempt to come up with a better platform-mounted signalbox.
WEB 4mm signal box 2.jpg

This one is Rail Models Helston box, but I've altered the doorway and locking room entrance during construction and eliminated the toilet...
WEB 4mm signal box 5.jpg

The stairs and platform unit will be attached to the main structure after painting and glazing is completed...
WEB 4mm signal box 5B.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Painted & glazed. The only thing missing is the Cambrian style bargeboards...

WEB 4mm signal box 15B.jpg
This is the third attempt at a small signal box. The latercut window frames almost defeated me as they are so fragile. In an ideal world they would have been etched brass....
WEB 4mm sgnal box 15.jpg

Last edited:

Paul Tomlinson

Western Thunderer
Hi Larry, I'm with you on the fragile window front. Phoenix Paints have a nice selection in etched brass, originally from Churchward Models..
BTW, York Modelmaking sometimes have a few packs of NQP self-adhesive slates in their "Offers" section - I've just bought a few. I like to save a few bob when I can.
Looking forward to seeing your layout develop. Cheers.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Hi Larry, I'm with you on the fragile window front. Phoenix Paints have a nice selection in etched brass, originally from Churchward Models..
BTW, York Modelmaking sometimes have a few packs of NQP self-adhesive slates in their "Offers" section - I've just bought a few. I like to save a few bob when I can.
Looking forward to seeing your layout develop. Cheers.
Thanks. I didn't know about the etchings, as I only look at paint. It s tempting to replace the wooden windows with etchings that's for sure.