Finescale - of a sort?!

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Thank you Brian! I promise, I promise!

There weren't any tears this afternoon either...

It started in smelly - and slightly curling style:

huSAM_yy0815.JPG

The rest happened so quickly that I forgot to grab the camera!

Once it had cooled down, the copper was so nice and soft that I was able to form it all around the timber core with nothing more than a finger and thumb! The only time I used a hammer was to gently, and slightly untidily tap a joggle into the lapped joint - that thankfully will be quite invisible down the back.

The only disappointment was that the flux flowed too freely around the pipe during soldering up, and cleaned most of the fresh "patina" off again when washing!

huSAM_yy0817.JPGhuSAM_yy0819.JPGhuSAM_yy0821.JPG

I will have to work out some way of cold "pickling" for the finished pipe to make it go mucky again, as now it has come out so nicely, I don't want to warp it or spoil the solder joint by blasting it all over with the gas torch for a second time!

huSAM_yy0824.JPGhuSAM_yy0826.JPG

I really did think that was going to be a terrible battle, and was being very careful to ensure that I still had enough spare left on the small copper sheet for another go at it!

Still utterly amazed, and quite - well actually I do admit, somewhat more than a bit chuffed with my little chuffer!

Pete.

timbowales

Western Thunderer

View attachment 222097

Once it had cooled down, the copper was so nice and soft that I was able to form it all around the timber core with nothing more than a finger and thumb! The only time I used a hammer was to gently, and slightly untidily tap a joggle into the lapped joint - that thankfully will be quite invisible down the back.

The only disappointment was that the flux flowed too freely around the pipe during soldering up, and cleaned most of the fresh "patina" off again when washing!

View attachment 222098View attachment 222099View attachment 222100

I will have to work out some way of cold "pickling" for the finished pipe to make it go mucky again, as now it has come out so nicely, I don't want to warp it or spoil the solder joint by blasting it all over with the gas torch for a second time!

View attachment 222101View attachment 222102

I really did think that was going to be a terrible battle, and was being very careful to ensure that I still had enough spare left on the small copper sheet for another go at it!

Still utterly amazed, and quite - well actually I do admit, somewhat more than a bit chuffed with my little chuffer!

Pete.
Absolutely stunning work, Pete.

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Thanks Tim T., I still can't believe how I got away with it... and Tony; I still can't believe how long I've been getting away with it!!

Pete.

cctransuk

View attachment 222097

View attachment 222098View attachment 222099View attachment 222100

View attachment 222101View attachment 222102

Pete.

Try holding it over a smokey candle?

John Isherwood.

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Thank you for that excellent suggestion John. I might try both the chemical approach (salt and, or vinegar) to get some oxidisation going, then smoke it with the candle!

Pete.

Fitzroy

Western Thunderer
Hydaulic pipes and loops. Never seen a loop on an aircraft hydraulic system and, trust me, aircraft are full of vibrations at loads of different frequncies. My suggestion is that it has to do with the range of temperatures and thus expansion that the system experiences.
I've seen a lot of loops on aircraft hydraulics. Sometimes to allow for installation stresses or differential expansion and contraction, sometimes to allow for relative motion of components.

Fitzroy

Western Thunderer
Peter, there are a heap of different antiqueing chemicals available for copper and bronze, giving all sorts of variations on patina and verdigris. I'm sure you'd find something that would work if the vinegar etc didn't. But I'm sure it will. Your little loco is looking very lovely!

Overseer

Western Thunderer
A search for patination fluid or antiquing fluid, or tourmaline, or combinations of these words will find a number of UK suppliers who offer a range of colours. You won't need much to blacken the copper. Birchwood Casey Brass Black will also work well but probably more expensive. Vinegar won't blacken copper, it will clean it and make it brighter.

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Thank you both for the tips Fitzroy and Overseer. I thought that about the cleaning effect of vinegar too, but just didn't question it when posting. Strange really, as I now recall pinching some out of Mum's kitchen cupboard and using it to shine up old pennies!

No change there then?!

Pete.