Mickoo's American Modelling Empire

mickoo

Western Thunderer
More stuff has been arriving here and there, it's hard not to when it's so damned cheap :cool:

Anyway I figured it was time to actually make something for a change, all these I'm going to do this and that posts. I reckoned it was time to walk the walk or fall flat on my face, bearing in mind the last time I did anything like this was 35 years ago :eek: so the flat on my face is a real possibility.

It started with some wood, actually no, it started before that.

It started with what can I fit in the space I have and keep a working space too, much as I'd love to fill the entire room with scenery and track, that would not please the accountants; so it had to be a compromise; but then most layouts are...actually I'm not calling this a layout.

Layouts are like Heyside, Buckshill and all those other detailed and well executed models, mine is more like a train set; I realized quite early on that flat was not for me, nor was the UK and just one circuit really had no appeal. By chance I came across an excellent trainset (though everyone else calls it a layout) on Facebook and through several rabbit holes, youtube; it had me written all over it.

Essentially it's a stacked shelf concept, narrow but quite tall (relative), it suits mountain regions very well and what I like a model railway to be. I also know it'll not be what the majority of other people like, not here anyway, a couple of people have already said oh no I I don't like that at all, too much like a train set. But, oddly enough, I'm not building for them but for myself.

It's US, it's modern, it'll have CTC, track circuits and dispatcher panel to route set, you will have to drive to the signals. It's currently double stacked on the scenery side and a third layer at the bottom for storage and turn back but I might add scenery there to. It'll have three primary elements, rocks, trees, water; there are no roads planned (maybe one at the main depot or a few dirt tracks up in the hills). Engineering wise, tunnels, bridges and a dam as a scenic focal point/break.

Primarily it's based on the US Northwest, a section of flat water level running, a depot which is basically a main and two passing sidings and a few buildings and then a climb up to a summit tunnel and hidden turn back. Other than the depot and two strategic passing sidings, it'll be single track with CTC signals. A rough calculation shows 70' scenic run with an elevation change somewhere around 28-32" but I'm making that up as I go along.

The scenery has to be semi generic, to cover US and Canadian Railroads, lower level will be 70/30 deciduous/conifer, higher level will be all conifer and I am tempted with some patches of snow up near the summit. Railroads countered for are BNSF, UP, CP/KCs, CN the odd CSX and NS unit will appear in consists.

I have a few set scenes I want from my vacation and from what I've seen on the web so these will form scenic focal points as the line runs up the grade, I'm limited to 17-18' sidings so that limits it to 20-25 cars and three engines (2x1) or for lighter trains just two engines (1x1).

Back to the beginning and the wood, one of the focal point is a long bridge, it really has to be a bridge and go here as there's a great big window in the way, most people who've seen it go, back scene, back scene, where's the back scene, there isn't one (not planned as yet) as I don't want to trade the loss of light for something that isn't that important to me.

This was just a basic try and see to get a feel for the space and what was possible.

72d1f66f-1f78-4cf2-b74a-975461c7eb45.jpg

Followed by real wood work, essentially it's a shelf on a shelf here as I need to keep some of the bench in the foreground to work on, I will miss the space but not as much as not having a trainset. At the far end is the start of the grade and hence the step in baseboards, it'll climb at a steady 2.5% to the other side of the shed, possibly 3% to gain height, that really depends on whether I want to portray water level route at the far end or more rugged gorge terrain.

13077c3b-4a62-446d-8146-cf58704d3e1a.jpg

I'd managed to save some XPS foam and wall insulation off cuts so decided to try a XPS road bed, it kind of works, rigid enough and easy to form. Originally it was two layers stuck together but getting a smooth grade was just a faff so i ripped it all up and went for a single flat bed and piers to support and set the grade.

68ac98e9-cf49-49a0-b4dd-d807e15e1dce.jpg

acb0eff8-329b-4cbf-aa16-2a0507b660cd.jpg

07a4313f-59b4-44f6-9196-b137bbbbd97f.jpg

At this point the shelf on a shelf was only 10" wide and it wasn't enough, so I traced some more space and puled the whole lot out by 2", that helped with the visuals. Also the sockets needed to be moved under the bench, that was easy enough and why all the electrics are surface mounted and in conduit, you can chop back, move or extend very easily.

Next came the Terra forming, it's all a bit rough at the moment, it's easy enough to hack, cut or add bits as you go along but the first major rock outcrop is in place and houses tunnel #2. Tunnel #1 is where the door hinge is and the descent to the lower hidden sidings level.

219745df-5534-461e-bbea-1278c0956924.jpg

Each side of the curved fill will be water and to the back wall a rocky cliff, I have a set scene here based on a location pretty much like this near Cooks, though the lake/lagoon is much bigger but the Railroad essentially cuts the corner off an inlet in the river.

08133843-72f6-471f-a46c-70873f8e051b.jpg

I've pulled the outcrop right to the edge, originally there was a thin sliver of water along the front edge but it looked very unnatural; even though I do have photos of sheer rook faces doing just that in Columbia gorge it didn't sit well here in model form.

The original play session had the tunnel much longer but I decided to cut it back and keep a rocky outcrop to the outside of the tracks.

49f0943e-bfb1-4cb8-ae31-716442371fa2.jpg

58f9e7e7-e3e6-47c8-8481-3341e708f199.jpg

I may still add a small fillet to the outside right up to the edge to break the long thin water stretch and the outcrop needs some more sculpting to break up some of the more regular angles.

The little notch works well for a photo spot and scenic feature.

43cc36b3-d24c-46f4-b519-5a4a6be4bf5a.jpg

Closer to the bridge on the flat section there will be a set of CTC signals for each direction and a relay hut and possibly a UHF transmitter station. Pretty much where the white stripe is on the engine. I still need to fill in behind the tracks and create a little nook for the blind to slide up and down in.

49f0943e-bfb1-4cb8-ae31-716442371fa2.jpg

Finally, a low level view of the bridge entry point. As is so typical on Columbia river at these paces, there will be people fishing from flat bottomed boats. The water will not be flat but a ripped chop and a few white horses across this section of the scene, in the curved alcove it'll be less ripped and nearly flat in the lee of the rocky outcrops, either tunnel #1 or #2.

8ff12dd8-42b0-4183-a74c-e9ae5edc6129.jpg

The next step is a tunnel mouth, I'll 3D print one simply because it's easier to let the machine work whilst I earn money at the bench. Once I have one then I'll simply cast the others in polyurethane as the GN used a pretty standard and generic tunnel face along this part of the route and I need at least five for the water level section. Higher up the line I'll change the design a little bit for variety.

It'll be the perfect item to test and play with my new vacuum pot for casting in polyurethane as well as some Jersey barriers and relay cabins for signal locations, basically anything I need multiples of.

a41c8320-4467-4ecb-8bf0-849c5270fbe6.jpg

All in all not a bad four days work, the foam certainly speeds up the terrain side of things and I've just got my first glue gun.....where were they 35 years ago :rolleyes: just brilliant for sticking foam terrain down.

Last edited:

Rob R

Western Thunderer
Just looked again at Mick's post on the big screen, brings back memories of the early days of Chee Tor - lots of plywood and foam.
It just needs half a ton of plaster for the rock faces to complete the scene.:thumbs:

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
it'll not be what the majority of other people like, not here anyway, a couple of people have already said oh no I I don't like that at all, too much like a train set. But, oddly enough, I'm not building for them but for myself.
Philistines!!! :rolleyes: Too right mate - it's your layout. I have no idea why it's perceived as 'too much like a train set'. It's got flextrack, and scenery, and gradients.... no sign of a setrack point anywhere. That's my definition of a train set!! ;)

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Some back fill on the water level section from the vacation, some images may have been seen before but this time in a modelers context.

GN Tunnels, a sample of the ones I took, I wished I'd taken more but the gob smacking scenery tended to take all your attention.

The trend here is the commonality and details at each location, I'll use BNSF's designations for reference. Most are easy to sight and photograph and there are dozens/hundreds of pictures if you trawl the web long enough.

To put these next photos into context it pays to visit Google Earth in Seagull mode. West is left and we have working right, tunnels 8, 9, and 10.

Image.jpg

We'll start with tunnel #10 West portal. Note slide fences left and right and across the top, this is also a RH curve through the tunnel so it has been notched to clear high cube double stacks.

IMG_3815.jpg

I'm standing on an outcrop that forms tunnel #9 so if I turn around I can see Tunnel #8 East portal. There is only a slope side slide fence and one vertical one across the portal, another RH curve and notched to clear high cubes. The access ladder is for climbing up to repair the slide fence, not climbing down, there's just no way down from the headland.

IMG_3812.jpg

Looking directly down, yes shitty pants moment, you can see the top of the east portal for Tunnel #9, note exposed concrete lining and slide fences over the top of the ROW and to the slope side. It's also a good detail view of the rear of the parapet over the portal.

IMG_3820.jpg

A little man goating later to Tunnel #10 headland and you can look back at Tunnel #9 East portal. Again top and slope side slide fences, note BNSF just tips old ballast down the slope to protect the embankment. Since the dams were built the tide is pretty stable and there are no rapid currents to cause erosion as such. Unlike most other places that plunge almost straight down, this bay is quite shallow so the colour changes from deep blue to green.

IMG_3884.jpg

Finally, more man goating to see Tunnel #9 West Portal.

Image4.jpg

Four identical tunnel portals in the space of 400m, I only need produce one and then I'll notch each according to the cant and curve through them. A little further west is probably my favourite little nook, Tunnel #5. You can get right close to this one for detailed photos if so inclined, mind you better be able to run fast as trains blat through here at 50-55mph, whilst you have about a mile visibility to the east through the tunnel you only have a few hundred yards west.

IMG_3947.jpg

Looking west there's a lovely skew concrete road bridge (Hwy 14) it just has to be modeled but good road surface in HO is hard to achieve. The subject of interest though is the automatic flange greaser with solar panel. There's also a slide fence along here but many of the wires are in disrepair, much of this area was toasted a few months back when a hot brake shoe flipped off a GP40 and set fire to the scenery.

The greaser is actually lying on the ground (repaired), speaking with a MOW inspector (High Railer who drove up) a whole batch of these got ripped up by a passing train a few weeks back, they never did find the trailing defect, it probably got flicked out into the vegetation somewhere.

Image3.jpg

The final tunnel is Tunnel #3 this one will feature on the trainset and will be the one at the other end of the bridge where there's a step change in the baseboards, it's a straight into a slab wall of rock type tunnel and vegetation here is more lush as we're getting closer to the Pacific Ocean.

I'll loose the road to the left and pull the cliff right up to the ROW as I've got limited width here; I do have the option to extend the headland out a bit more as the work bench has ended so I can gain a bit more scenery width.

Image1.jpg

BNSF Tunnel #3 will also be my Tunnel #3 and the line will swing 180° around the back of the shed whilst climbing up to the depot, I say depot as it's more a mere shell of one, a hint of times past more prosperous. It'll be based loosely on Lyle, such a killer spot when the sun starts to go down.

Note relay cabin at left and very tall mast, not sure I'll keep that feature but might do, in the background where the train is, that'll be my 180° turn left to Tunnel #3. Also of note is the topography, near sheer vertical cliffs with table top shelf's, caused by Basalt larva flows, there are several flows and each has different traits, I wish I was smarter than I am to understand all that fascinating stuff.

IMG_3620.jpg

This formation tends to peter's out West of Lyle and pretty much where Tunnel #8 is where the geology starts to change. Looking back east from Tunnel #10 ( I so wanted a train to arrive.....it did 4 minutes after I climbed down) toward Lyle the rock formations are evident and this feature runs for hundreds of miles up river.

Of note, it was either the multi span bridge across the window space or this gravel fill, I think (currently) the bridge works better.

IMG_3891.jpg

Back to Tunnel #3 and the geology has changed to a different rock, smaller pieces and more rounded, looking much like volcanic flows I'm associate with lava flows and I prefer this type of rock so that's what I'll be modeling.

IMG_4078.jpg

Turning around we find the rock cut Tunnel #2 this is the basis for the current one I've just hacked about, though mine will have a concrete portal and I've pulled the cliff in over the road. The rock here is quite rounded and smoothed so I might take some liberties and sharpen it up to give a more rugged look as it is west of here where the geology changes yet again.

IMG_4075.jpg

Finally a shot of a simple relay cabin set up, this time in the Cascades on Stevens Pass. I've no idea why the signals are stacked both ways as there are no sidings in either direction, note also UHF/VHF ? mast and how the flat ballast pad has been held in with concrete blocks.

Image2.jpg

One operating difference on the Stevens pass (Scenic Sub) is that signal facing away from the train are dark, this means you have zero head's up a train is coming from the non aspect side. On the Columbia river section (Fallbridge Sub) the signal facing away turns red to prevent a possible conflicting head on collision.

This makes railfanning a breeze, if the signal turns green the train is coming from behind you, if it's red then it's coming from in front. Most are dark until about four minutes before train arrival, though some sections are obviously set up way in advance as I've seen them light up 20 minutes before arrival, usually a hot shot with a path right through the district I suspect. Either way it's something I need to check and set up with the CTC package.

More as the trainset progresses I'm sure.

Last edited:

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Finally a shot of a simple relay cabin set up, this time in the Cascades on Stevens Pass. I've no idea why the signals are stacked both ways as there are no sidings in either direction, note also UHF/VHF ? mast and how the flat ballast pad has been held in with concrete blocks.

Image2.jpg

Thought the diesel look European - a Siemens ALC-42.... not as purposeful looking as the Vectron though.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Philistines!!! :rolleyes: Too right mate - it's your layout. I have no idea why it's perceived as 'too much like a train set'. It's got flextrack, and scenery, and gradients.... no sign of a setrack point anywhere. That's my definition of a train set!! ;)
Sorry to disappoint but there will be one or two setrack switches, these PECO Code 83 switches are pretty good and to be blunt, I'd rather be playing than building switches, plus track never was a popular anorak in my closet :))

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Thought the diesel look European - a Siemens ALC-42.... not as purposeful looking as the Vectron though.
Not popular either by all accounts; certainly smooth and has the typical singing AC motors but I would have preferred a Genesis chugging away myself. I'm not sure if I'll have an Amtrak service yet.

Clarence3815

Western Thunderer
Quite right.

I share a model of a very detailed and almost completely to scale station of a location in Switzerland. We run a true to life sequence based on personal observation of trains at the station. We try to run the correct type of loco (not a problem) the correct types of coaching stock (not always possible) and correct types of freight stock (again not always possible). This is serious stuff.

My wife has loads of LGB which we take to exhibitions and lay out track to use the space allocated to us. We get great reactions and enjoyment from the visitors.

In their own way both give great pleasure.

I`d not like to choose which one to give up if faced with the necessity.

Big Train James

Western Thunderer

One operating difference on the Stevens pass (Scenic Sub) is that signal facing away from the train are dark, this means you have zero head's up a train is coming from the non aspect side. On the Columbia river section (Fallbridge Sub) the signal facing away turns red to prevent a possible conflicting head on collision.

This makes railfanning a breeze, if the signal turns green the train is coming from behind you, if it's red then it's coming from in front. Most are dark until about four minutes before train arrival, though some sections are obviously set up way in advance as I've seen them light up 20 minutes before arrival, usually a hot shot with a path right through the district I suspect. Either way it's something I need to check and set up with the CTC package.

The signals for no apparent reason are intermediate block signals. They aren't there to indicate a siding or crossover, rather to give the CTC system information about the train's location. Long sections of track are going to be split into blocks even if they are devoid of interruptions like sidings, and there will be occupancy detection in place. Imagine a hypothetical 100 mile long section of track between sidings. That could be one block, but there would be no indication of a train's location other than it was within the block. And under normal circumstances there would only be one train allowed per block, so that would waste a lot of capacity. A better example is here on the old NYC route to Chicago. There's an eight mile long stretch between turnouts, and it's comprised of four blocks with intermediate signals at each interval.

Whether signals are approach lit or on all the time has nothing to do with what type of trains are coming. It just depends on how each signal is configured. And it doesn't make sense, but consecutive signals could have completely opposite behaviors. The signals that come on four minutes in advance are approach lit, and they should come on when a train enters the far end of the block coming toward you. Other signals are lit at all times, and they are the ones typically where an aspect can be shown 20 or 30 minutes in advance.

holloway road.JPG

These are intermediate block signals at my usual railfanning spot west of Toledo. We are looking west here. The signals facing us won't come on for a westbound train until it enters the other end of the block. It will go dark as soon as the end of the train clears these signals. For eastbound trains, these signals won't light until the train passes them, and will stay on at least until the train clears the eastern end of the block. At the east end of this block is a signal bridge that is always lit, always defaulting to red aspects until a train is lined by the dispatcher. Those show yellow or green aspects well in advance of the train's arrival.

Sometimes a red signal means a train has just passed but is still occupying the next block, so unfortunately that isn't a foolproof indicator. And my personal favorite is a signal on the ex-Southern Railway in Knoxville, Tennessee, that defaults to green facing both directions. I thought as I approached that I was lucky and a train was on the way, only to see a green facing the other way as I passed. If that meant trains were coming, I didn't want to be around to see it when they got there! :eek:

For something you might think would be universal, there's a surprising variety of implementations from locations to location and railroad to railroad.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Quite right.

I share a model of a very detailed and almost completely to scale station of a location in Switzerland. We run a true to life sequence based on personal observation of trains at the station. We try to run the correct type of loco (not a problem) the correct types of coaching stock (not always possible) and correct types of freight stock (again not always possible). This is serious stuff.

My wife has loads of LGB which we take to exhibitions and lay out track to use the space allocated to us. We get great reactions and enjoyment from the visitors.

In their own way both give great pleasure.

I`d not like to choose which one to give up if faced with the necessity.
Apologies, the context you're referencing to I accidentally deleted whilst editing.

But you're right, there are serious models and there are play models, I'm trying to ply down the middle, play with a little bit of attention to detail, but if it's not 100% authentic it won't keep me awake at night.

I admire those that model very seriously, the track, the stock, timetables, freight flows etc but it's not for me. I also suffer terribly from being able to regress to five years old lying on the floor with nothing more than track and train and painting the rest in my minds eye, too easily I might add.

That's why back scenes, context, scenery proportions, scale depths, forced perspectives and all that mumbo jumbo just do not compute.

It also helps having been there and felt the location, the wind, sun, scenery, you don't need much to make that leap of escapism, well I don't :))

My commercial work is serious enough, too much sometimes, more so recently; so hopefully this will level the field out a little.

I'm finding it's all part of the change from being an employee for 37 years to self employed virtually overnight, it's a hard balance but it's slowly settling into a rhythm.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Mick,

Thank you for the time that you have taken in describing what is important to you and how you are going to pursue that dream. Describing what materials that you are using and how you intend to use those materials helps (me / us) readers to share in the construction of the scenery.

regards, Graham

mickoo

Western Thunderer
The signals for no apparent reason are intermediate block signals. They aren't there to indicate a siding or crossover, rather to give the CTC system information about the train's location. Long sections of track are going to be split into blocks even if they are devoid of interruptions like sidings, and there will be occupancy detection in place. Imagine a hypothetical 100 mile long section of track between sidings. That could be one block, but there would be no indication of a train's location other than it was within the block. And under normal circumstances there would only be one train allowed per block, so that would waste a lot of capacity. A better example is here on the old NYC route to Chicago. There's an eight mile long stretch between turnouts, and it's comprised of four blocks with intermediate signals at each interval.

Whether signals are approach lit or on all the time has nothing to do with what type of trains are coming. It just depends on how each signal is configured. And it doesn't make sense, but consecutive signals could have completely opposite behaviors. The signals that come on four minutes in advance are approach lit, and they should come on when a train enters the far end of the block coming toward you. Other signals are lit at all times, and they are the ones typically where an aspect can be shown 20 or 30 minutes in advance.

View attachment 209776

These are intermediate block signals at my usual railfanning spot west of Toledo. We are looking west here. The signals facing us won't come on for a westbound train until it enters the other end of the block. It will go dark as soon as the end of the train clears these signals. For eastbound trains, these signals won't light until the train passes them, and will stay on at least until the train clears the eastern end of the block. At the east end of this block is a signal bridge that is always lit, always defaulting to red aspects until a train is lined by the dispatcher. Those show yellow or green aspects well in advance of the train's arrival.

Sometimes a red signal means a train has just passed but is still occupying the next block, so unfortunately that isn't a foolproof indicator. And my personal favorite is a signal on the ex-Southern Railway in Knoxville, Tennessee, that defaults to green facing both directions. I thought as I approached that I was lucky and a train was on the way, only to see a green facing the other way as I passed. If that meant trains were coming, I didn't want to be around to see it when they got there! :eek:

For something you might think would be universal, there's a surprising variety of implementations from locations to location and railroad to railroad.
Okay some, most of that makes perfect sense, modeling approach might be something the CTC controller has to sort out.; hopefully by having track circuit sections it should be able to detect where the train is and apply the correct approach aspect and (for me) the backside will display the opposite state. Funnily enough, given my last ramble about not taking things too seriously, the signals for me have to be one of the more accurate aspects, that's the control and play immersion that I do like.

The longer lit ones I assumed were CP's and set when the dispatcher sets the route over many sections, the approach ones I assumed were only controlled by what's going on locally. The only time I ever saw signals light up for an extended duration before the train arrived it was for Z trains and the trash train, both run non stop down the gorge as far as I can tell; I never saw any ever stopped. Mind I also never stayed around long enough to see if the same signals behaved the same way for manifests or grainers that seemed to get pulled into every siding available.

What I don't get on the Cascade image set up is why there are two heads, the top is probably the main one for the forthcoming section, that I get, but is the second one for the following section after that? Surely that section will have it's own protecting aspect or is it an advanced notification that the train might have to slow or stop.

That I can sort if understand but I know this section and it's up hill so gravity is going to stop you rather sharpish and I don't think there are any sidings between here and the summit tunnel.

In the UK we often have four aspect signals, clear (green) double amber (two sections ahead has an amber), amber (next section is a red), red stop), in the US you use a lot of three aspect but one thing I did notice was the single amber flashing as it cycled through to it's designated signal.

The cycling is smart and an indication that the light sequence is a set sequential pattern, aka the relays must cycle through the set sequence to reach the designated display, they can't jump from one aspect to another (much like a sequential gearbox), like red direct to green. When approach signals light up (my observations on the Fallbridge sub and MRL 4rd subdivision), they'll show red for a few seconds, then amber and then green, they never go direct to green. In some cases that's interspersed with red, amber, flashing amber, green; I'm guessing the flashing amber is in effect an extra block aspect. That's a trait I want to try and replicate.

Signals are going to be important so this is going to crop up often as the build progresses. Luckily most will be main line three aspect, though I am tempted to throw in some old canter lever GN single aspect searchlights and be damned to UP and CN when they roll by.

I am tempted to add a manned helper spur at the lower depot (going to be fun speed matching all my engines) so that'll require some ground (pot) signals to control entry/exit. I didn't photograph any BNSF ones on the Fallbridge and suspect they're still mostly mechanical switch stands, don't actually recall seeing any to be honest but the MRL ones are LED lit stands and at Helena were quite smart looking units.

Last edited:

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Here's an interesting one, BNSF Towel looking west, on the left the main, on the right the siding, both the main and siding backside are indicating red, you can see the main red easier on the full size image.

Image2.jpg

Yet a few moments later the the train has clearly knocked down the main and I suspect gone dark, or will the backside still show red whilst the rear of the train is still in that section? But the siding is still showing red, which is common sense as the main is still fouled, like a muppet I didn't take a picture once the trailing section had cleared or this section had cleared to see what indications were still lit, if any.

Image1.jpg

My gut feeling is that these were constant lit and dimly remember seeing a red for ages, like two hours so may well be a CP aspect. BNSF must have some documentation on all this somewhere, I've got the July 2023 track standards but it doesn't cover signals.

Big Train James

Western Thunderer
I didn't even think about the double heads on the signal in question. Not sure what that's about. It could be used to indicate two blocks out since the track is so winding in that area. It could be used to indicate speed restrictions, although I can't remember if that's done by indication or by rule book for that area.

Not sure the last time I actually witnessed an approach lit signal come on, so I can't say whether they cycle here or not. But it would kind of surprise me if they did. But then again, what happens here has little to no bearing on what happens elsewhere.

A flashing signal is an indication of an upgrade in speed. It's most often an amber aspect, but I have seen at least one instance of a flashing green. It appears to be the equivalent of your double amber, as in a train is occupying the third block past the signal.

Big Train James

Western Thunderer
I'd say if a train is in a block, that block's signals will remain lit until it clears. So the eastbound facing signal at the end of the siding will still be lit. And yes, in the case above, the westbound siding signal will remain red because the next block is occupied.

If the signals stay lit even if trains are not present, they will typically default to red until there's a reason to change them. So that siding signal will always be red unless there's a train in the siding with permission to head west onto the main.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I didn't even think about the double heads on the signal in question. Not sure what that's about. It could be used to indicate two blocks out since the track is so winding in that area. It could be used to indicate speed restrictions, although I can't remember if that's done by indication or by rule book for that area.

Not sure the last time I actually witnessed an approach lit signal come on, so I can't say whether they cycle here or not. But it would kind of surprise me if they did. But then again, what happens here has little to no bearing on what happens elsewhere.

A flashing signal is an indication of an upgrade in speed. It's most often an amber aspect, but I have seen at least one instance of a flashing green. It appears to be the equivalent of your double amber, as in a train is occupying the third block past the signal.
Yeah, just googled and fell down a rabbit hole, it's a four block set up with a three head signal indication like our double yellow, medium approach some Railroads call it, as well as other names; that I've forgotten already.

I think the indicator cycling is a safety feature and part of the relay interlocking, we used something similar in elevators when I worked on them before microprocessors became the norm, every event was controlled by a relay and interlocked with associated relays, hundreds of the damn things per elevator.

Last edited: